Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Why can't Canon?

Papathanassiou
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why can't Canon?

Why can't Canon develop, in their Camera software a way that, when you Manually Focus using Live View at their, or your own given distance Target for the purpose of Micro Ajustment, a way to be able to register it somehow to the Camera? After all you can register a focus preset on the White lenses!

Papa.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why can't Canon?

Didn't quite understand that. Are you saying if you use live view, they register the MA value based on the distance? You'd need to be very accurate with distance.

Just get Focal by Reikan. Much easier.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Zenon Char
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why can't Canon?

or this

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/focustune.html

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why can't Canon?

Zenon Char wrote:
or this

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/focustune.html

hmmm... interesting

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why can't Canon?

Papathanassiou wrote:
Why can't Canon develop, in their Camera software a way that, when you Manually Focus using Live View at their, or your own given distance Target for the purpose of Micro Ajustment, a way to be able to register it somehow to the Camera? After all you can register a focus preset on the White lenses!

Papa.

But live view has nothing to do with micro adjust.

But then maybe I'm not reading your post correct and your thinking along the same lines as I am in relation to MA

ie: you manual focus on a target and then let the camera AF on the same target using the phase detect. The camera could then get the difference and adjust . Also I don't see why a database can't be built up for a lens , so that the camera can know adjustments at different focus distances and at different focal lengths for a zoom . The more you do it the better the performance would be.

At the moment I have a lens that's got a different MA up close to the. MA at a longer distance. So I have noted the differnt MA's and can enter the values in depending on the type of shot . i do have an average value as well that I have as the default so I can shoot various distances (I tend to stop down a little bit when using that)

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why can't Canon?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Didn't quite understand that. Are you saying if you use live view, they register the MA value based on the distance? You'd need to be very accurate with distance.

Just get Focal by Reikan. Much easier.

Hi Phil,
I have no problems Calibrating my Lenses! What I am trying to say is, why can't Canon or Nikon come with an automatic way of matching any lens to the camera to find peak performance? Then apply In the Camera software! By the owner.

Papa.

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:49 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why can't Canon?

I think I know what you are getting at... so you basically want a feature where the camera does a phase detect AF attempt at a given target, and then uses contrast detect to attempt to improve it, and uses the resulting difference (if any) to automatically set the micro adjust parameters?

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why can't Canon?

pingflood wrote:
I think I know what you are getting at... so you basically want a feature where the camera does a phase detect AF attempt at a given target, and then uses contrast detect to attempt to improve it, and uses the resulting difference (if any) to automatically set the micro adjust parameters?

That's it,
do all that you've suggested, then do a Live View focus X 10 magnification, then whatever the difference gives the answer?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks pingflood!

Papa.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:04 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why can't Canon?

I think, the OP is suggesting to have a camera with a built-in FoCal .
There is nothing wrong with it, all FoCal does is controlling the camera via external connections, why can't it be done internally?

Oct 25, 2012 at 03:14 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why can't Canon?

Papathanassiou wrote:
Hi Phil,
I have no problems Calibrating my Lenses! What I am trying to say is, why can't Canon or Nikon come with an automatic way of matching any lens to the camera to find peak performance? Then apply In the Camera software! By the owner.

Papa.

Ahh now I get you.

Don't know to be honest. It would seem sensible, although they would lose out on lens calibration work...

Oct 25, 2012 at 03:22 PM
Zenon Char
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why can't Canon?

Papathanassiou wrote:
That's it,
do all that you've suggested, then do a Live View focus X 10 magnification, then whatever the difference gives the answer?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks pingflood!

Papa.

I had this exact same thought years ago

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:17 PM
kpjsy

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why can't Canon?

But micro-adjust is for... AF points...

Oct 25, 2012 at 09:41 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why can't Canon?

pingflood wrote:

That would be a killer feature - they really should implement that

The only issue would be making sure that the customer put the camera on a tripod and used a target that was big/high contrast, and did it with enough ambient light to allow accurate focussing - they'd have to provide some instruction on its use.

Oct 25, 2012 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password