New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

beebibi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

Do you know of any good third party plug-ins for difficult masks which will work in CS6 - I am not that thrilled with the 'Refine Mask'.

Thanks

Best, Bee

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

OnOne Perfect Mask.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

beebibi wrote:
Do you know of any good third party plug-ins for difficult masks which will work in CS6 - I am not that thrilled with the 'Refine Mask'.

Thanks

Best, Bee

Fluid Mask requires some learning curve but the results are so far the best among all plugins if you hate working with alpha channels in the first place.

http://www.vertustech.com/

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:39 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

The best masking plug-in already exists in the Channels palette.

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:20 AM
beebibi
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

Thanks, Guys

Yes, channels with threshold works with some images but for the more intricate clean cutouts I find it lacking.

I looked at your other suggestions:

OnOne Perfect Mask seems to be more global and some of the examples lack accuracy for my needs...

Fluid Mask 3 might be for me - the tutorials are fun and I will download the trial version. (many years ago I used KnockOut from Corel and this seems to have a similar approach)

Thanks again, Bee

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:18 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

you may also want to check out Topaz Labs 'ReMask'

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

+1 Topaz ReMask.

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:37 PM
NormanPCN
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

+1 for Topaz ReMask

Oct 29, 2012 at 03:46 PM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

There is some love for the inexpensive, yet effective ReMask.

Oct 29, 2012 at 04:34 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

beebibi wrote:
Thanks, Guys

Yes, channels with threshold works with some images but for the more intricate clean cutouts I find it lacking.

I looked at your other suggestions:

OnOne Perfect Mask seems to be more global and some of the examples lack accuracy for my needs...

Fluid Mask 3 might be for me - the tutorials are fun and I will download the trial version. (many years ago I used KnockOut from Corel and this seems to have a similar approach)

Thanks again, Bee

Then I'd suggest that you add to your knowledge base on masking: Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Fundamentals.

Luminosity masks, and the Calculations and Apply Image commands used in conjunction with Blend Modes are far more accurate than third-party masking plug-ins. As Deke McClelland says, these functions allow the image to select itself. And third-party plug-ins all have learning curves and their own idiosyncratic behavior; some, for example, can't create masks on a background layer.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:25 AM
beebibi
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

Thanks, guys ....I downloaded also the Topaz ReMask and tried it out - yes, it's good value for money but does not reach the accuracy you can get from the Fluid Mask in my opinion - I tried also the trial version here - unfortunately it does not have a PlugIn for CS6 yet , you have to import/export manually. I was assured that the Vertus team is working on a solution for this right now.

James, I took your advice and looked into Linda's online tutorials and promptly got hooked - there is a lot to learn there apart from selection techniques. I like the Deke McCLlelland videos and that will, I am sure (as you put it so nicely) add to my knowledge base on masking

Best, Bee

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:12 PM
marufcsediu

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

I found Topaz Remask plugins very useful for masking. It's easy and fun

May 18, 2016 at 02:04 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Masking Plug-Ins for Adobe CS6

The best of all time was of course, Ultimatte Knockout, but Corel did a damned good job of ruining that. There was a learning curve but you could mask smoke if you wanted. ReMask seems to operate on a similar set of assumptions and I've been using it quite successfully for a couple of years now. There is a learning curve and some of the special tricks from Knockout still apply to make Re-Mask even better than it is out of the box. It does work as a plugin for Photoshop and I think they have a 30 day trial as well. To the person who ripped it for not working on a background layer, there's a good reason that you don't want to do that. You want to configure Re-Mask to automatically dupe the layer you're working on and apply the selection it makes to a layer mask. That way you can refine it after the fact on that new layer in Ps and, more importantly, dupe the masked layer, apply the layer mask, dupe it again and then use the layer matting features as needed (and you dupe so you can mask THAT as well) to perfect your mask.

There are still a bunch of features I have yet to tackle in Re-Mask but overall it works pretty darned well and works on very high res images very well.

May 18, 2016 at 05:00 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.