Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Shikra with prey - help please

aushalk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Shikra with prey - help please

Hello all

My first post here...

Took this photo(I have a few others in the sequence) whilst on holiday in Sri Lanka. Basically I was watching the squirrels feeding at my friends place when this guy appeared from nowhere and grabbed one and landed on the ground. It was close to the garden wall. I slowly came inside, grabbed my camera and fired a few shots before it flew away.
It was too close to the background. I could not affect the background/foreground/subject or reposition myself

After cropping, I have removed some clutter on the foreground, darkened the the background wall and burned some of the grass on the ground.

I have also saturated the birds eye a tad and add USM at 80/0.2 to the eye after downsizing the image

I am looking for some advice to improve this image. Particularly, to clean the background and foreground without doing a composite image.

I 90% of my editing on LR. My photoshop skills are basic but I think this would be a job for photoshop rather than LR.
Your advice is most appreciated. Please do explain steps on PS to me as my skills are basic as I mentioned. I can understand screenshots

Feel free to edit and repost

Many thanks in advance

Ausha

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Shikra with prey - help please

Nice capture, looks very sharp and you have good eye contact. Here is what I would do with the background, the foreground seems ok to me but starting with the dark band in the middle I would try to lighten it and then blur it.

I used to have a blur action using PKsharpener that I used for this but it was 32 bit and I lost it when I upgraded to 64 bit. Since I don't do birds anymore I don't need it.

But some around here are good with it. You do need Photoshop I think because its a layer/mask/brush type of job. I don't use LR so I am not sure what it can do.

Somebody will suggest putting the eye at the rule of thirds, but it won't be me.

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:04 PM
aushalk
• •
p.1 #3 · Shikra with prey - help please

ben egbert wrote:
Nice capture, looks very sharp and you have good eye contact. Here is what I would do with the background, the foreground seems ok to me but starting with the dark band in the middle I would try to lighten it and then blur it.

I used to have a blur action using PKsharpener that I used for this but it was 32 bit and I lost it when I upgraded to 64 bit. Since I don't do birds anymore I don't need it.

But some around here are good with it. You do need Photoshop I think because its a
...Show more

Many thanks Ben

I do have photoshop CS 5 just not good at using it. My blurring technique is with the lens so dont know how to do it on PS. Suppose you have to select the bird on a layer? (again something I am pure rubbish at doing properly

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Shikra with prey - help please

aushalk wrote:
Many thanks Ben

I do have photoshop CS 5 just not good at using it. My blurring technique is with the lens so dont know how to do it on PS. Suppose you have to select the bird on a layer? (again something I am pure rubbish at doing properly

How I might approach it.

Make a selection of the bird using magic wand or lasso, refine edge and save as a copy to preserve the sharp bird.

Make another layer below it and above the background (I always like to preserve the background).

Select the new layer and using filters, select lens blur. Make a mask and paint the blur where you want. You can also use this layer to lighten the dark area. Or perhaps make another layer for lightening it.

This is a general description. When I try this I generally get some issues where part of the bird gets included in the blend layer which you don't want.

When you turn the bird layer on, it will be sharp and hopefully wont have any halo.

But Karen (Auntipode) is an expert here. So I am waiting to see what she does or somebody else. I am sort of interested myself.

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:23 PM
aushalk
• •
p.1 #5 · Shikra with prey - help please

ben egbert wrote:
How I might approach it.

Make a selection of the bird using magic wand or lasso, refine edge and save as a copy to preserve the sharp bird.

Make another layer below it and above the background (I always like to preserve the background).

Select the new layer and using filters, select lens blur. Make a mask and paint the blur where you want. You can also use this layer to lighten the dark area. Or perhaps make another layer for lightening it.

This is a general description. When I try this I generally get some issues where part of the bird gets
...Show more

Thank you Ben.
I will have a go for sure

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Shikra with prey - help please

I took a crude attempt, I did not have any luck with the wand or lasso so I just blurred and adjusted brightness on a layer and painted it in. But it gives and idea what could be done.

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:33 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #7 · Shikra with prey - help please

Ben, gave you a good explanation of one method and this is the method I used to extract the bird and blur the backround. I used the quick selection tool, refine edge, save to new layer. I then used gaussian blur on the duplicated original layer to about 35 and highlighted the new layer selected matting / defringe, under the layers palette. There is always more than one way to do things in PS and I am sure you will get other suggestions.

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:40 PM
aushalk
• •
p.1 #8 · Shikra with prey - help please

Thank you again Ben.

Origon gal, is there any chance you could upload/pm me the screenshots of the steps. Its a bit Greek to me. sorry
Many thanks
Much obliged
Ausha

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #9 · Shikra with prey - help please

Ausha,

I will post the screenshot of steps for you to see. Barbara

Oct 24, 2012 at 08:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Shikra with prey - help please

Same basic techniques as others @ BG blur ... diff crop to reduce some negative space.

Oct 24, 2012 at 08:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Shikra with prey - help please

I tried Oregon Gals method. I could not get any selection to work on the background without grabbing some bird and not being able to deselect.

But I did a mask in Topaz Remask, to try the other steps. I could not find matting or defringe. Photoshop has about a gazillion menus so its hard to even know where to look.

Oct 24, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #12 · Shikra with prey - help please

Ben, defringe is under "Layers" menu bar in PS scroll down to the bottom you will find matting, then defringe. The default of 1 is usually enough.

Oct 24, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #13 · Shikra with prey - help please

Steps as illustrated below.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Shikra with prey - help please

Ok, thanks, I got the quick select to work this time. I found matting and defringe. But I am still doing something wrong.

I will show the final result and what the mack layer looks like after applying blur. I tried the matting/defringe before and after doing the blur steps.

after mask and blur

what the mask looks like

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #15 · Shikra with prey - help please

Ben, I use matting, defringe on the bird layer, not the backround layer. Are you using refine edge after you make your initial selection?

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:42 PM
sadja
• •
p.1 #16 · Shikra with prey - help please

You guys are on the right track. I would darken the area above the band, which would make the bird pop quite a bit more.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:49 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Shikra with prey - help please

One quick tip. When blurring a background, in my experience, you almost always get a better result from using lens blur rather that gaussian blur. Gaussian blur can have edge effects that range from barely visible to OUCH!

Another tip. It often helps to add blur in sections with gradual edges (using the refine edge panel). That way closer and more distant portions can be more blurred than areas closer to the plane of focus, simulating better the way bokeh works with a lens.

Edited on Oct 24, 2012 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:56 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Shikra with prey - help please

Oregon Gal wrote:
Ben, I use matting, defringe on the bird layer, not the backround layer. Are you using refine edge after you make your initial selection?

I I did not have a bird layer, But I did use refine edge on the background that excludes the bird and forground. I used matting and defringe on it too.

You can see what my mask looks like above, it was background. Maybe I should start with a mask of the bird instead.

Here is one where I made two selections. One for the bird and one for the background minus bird and foreground. I then blured the non bird version and used a gradient mask to make a gradual transition. Then I used the bird layer to get the sharp bird back.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Shikra with prey - help please

sadja wrote:
You guys are on the right track. I would darken the area above the band, which would make the bird pop quite a bit more.

Like this?

Now I need to do one per Karens, tips.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM
aushalk
• •
p.1 #20 · Shikra with prey - help please

Thank you all. Off yo bed now (Day job to attend to in the morning sadly)
I will try all the steps tomorrow and get back to you.
Many thanks
Ausha

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password