Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Continuous ink systems

gwaww
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Continuous ink systems

I have read alot of posts here and elsewhere about refilling ink cartridges with OCP ink and such but I can't find much from experienced users about continuous ink systems. Has anybody used them? If so, have you had any problems? I was thinking about getting an empty system and filling it with OCP ink. I have a Canon 9000 MKII and an Epson Artisan 800. I keep looking underneath the Epson for leaks, it goes through ink like it was water!

Oct 23, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Continuous ink systems

I used some continuous ink solutions for an Epson inkjet - and while it worked great as far as having ink on hand - the quality and performance of the ink was substandard.

I would never use such a system again for printing photos.

Oct 23, 2012 at 08:34 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Continuous ink systems

I have the Canon pro9000 and refill the carts with OCP inks.....works perfectly with no external tubes etc and I would argue is better value for money.....ink costs the same obviously, and a chip re-setter is needed......but no CIS unit....some of which can be quite expensive.

I have used cheapish CIS units off eBay for a 2200, R1800 and R800. I had problems but most of them were down to the printers themselves....they seemed keen to clog even with Epson carts. I strongly suspect the more modern printers will have fewer problems.....

My dilemma at the moment is what to do about my R2880...OCP don't make ink for this printer but I can find re-fillable carts and other pigment inks. The main problem is (as I see it) the carts use the same chips as CIS units....in other words, when the chips think the cart is nearly used up they reset to full...which means the printer cannot detect when a cart is empty and will try and continue printing.....not good apparently!

That is the situation I am in with my old R800...I am constantly taking the carts out and topping them up..which works...but is one more thing to have to think about!

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Continuous ink systems

PS: The big advantage of CIS units is they dramatically reduce the nozzle flushing and ink wastage that happens each time a cart is replaced.....and equally important ..... dramatically prolong the life of the ink pads inside the printer that soak this ink up.

My R800 is connected to an external waste tank.....I estimate a large tablespoon of ink is flushed each time a cart is changed or a cleaning cycle is run ( probably much the same thing ).

I minimize this with the Pro9000 by refilling and re-setting all the carts whenever one needs it.....this it like putting in a new set. This too reduces ink flushing, which only occurs when one cart is used up 'from new' and not at random times as carts empty at different rates.....if that makes sense!!

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password