Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · Pints will be dead.

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Pints will be dead.

Daniel Smith wrote:
Try viewing digital screens without electricity.
All are in danger of EMP damage as well as major Solar storms such as hit in 1859 and caused fires in telegraph offices.

Nothing is perfect.

The downside of electronic images is that few will find an old shoebox in an attic in 60 years and thumb through the images of Gramma and Grampa when they were young. Find the discs they were saved on and hope someone, somewhere has the technology to open them.

Remember Bernoulli discs and the floppy disc? We still have glass plates, tintypes, B&W silver prints, carbon and pt/pd. Cared for
...Show more
chez wrote:
And the biggest problem with a print is it fades, is prone to humidity, smudges, dirt etc...

My wedding photos have faded badly. If they were digital, they would display like new.

RDKirk wrote:
I'm going to presume your wedding photos have faded at about the same rate as usual for photos in an album--that it's taken about twenty years to have "faded badly."

Let's see...if you'd taken them on the digital media of twenty years ago....

Why the "..."? Please continue the sentence. We've had full color digital media for the past 35 years at least.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:46 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Pints will be dead.

RDKirk wrote:
I'm going to presume your wedding photos have faded at about the same rate as usual for photos in an album--that it's taken about twenty years to have "faded badly."

Let's see...if you'd taken them on the digital media of twenty years ago....

What problem do you see with moving from one digital media to another?

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:57 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Pints will be dead.

Sal Baker wrote:
Make another print?

Sal

I'd love to. The studio actually burned down along with the original negatives.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:59 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Pints will be dead.

chez wrote:
What problem do you see with moving from one digital media to another?

Most people don't do it and won't. Heck, NASA in those days didn't even do it, and I'm not sure they do it yet.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hugowolf
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Pints will be dead.

RDKirk wrote:
Most people don't do it and won't. Heck, NASA in those days didn't even do it, and I'm not sure they do it yet.

Don't do what?

Brian A

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:10 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Pints will be dead.

Most people (and "most people" does not include people who frequent forums such as this, so local anecdotes notwithstanding) do not have as part of any normal maintenance process a plan or concept to transfer their digital file archives from an obsolescent medium to a newer medium. Most people don't do a darned thing to ensure the safety of their digital files--they think putting their stuff on Facebook is going to preserve it, if they think about it at all--and most people don't think about it at all.

Even fewer people were doing it twenty years ago, it's a high likelihood that anyone who had his wedding captured solely to a digital medium in 1992 (like the Sony ProMavica MVC-7000, which saved an analog video signal to a 2-ich video floppy) has completely lost it today.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Pints will be dead.

What, most people don't or didn't digitize their negatives and slides? Really?

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password