Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

mclldavidson
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

I have a T3i(no interest in the video) and I have a chance to get a 5d body with 20k clicks for 480. For general use, family pics etc which would be the better camera?

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:58 PM
matejphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

Depends on how much are you willing to spend for the whole system. Are you are planning to only get the 5D and one lens or a whole system (several lenses and flash).

If budget is tight (one camera and one lens) I think the T3i is better choice, since the kit lens will cover most needs and the body has a flash.

I have 5Dm2 and several L zooms but for family and travel pics, I use the T3i kit more. Family pics rarely need to be blown up to 30x20inch and the rebel is so much lighter and easier to use that the 5Dm2 + L lenses. I would like to note that the problem with 5Dm2 (and FF in general) is not the body (5D isn't that much bigger that a rebel) but the fact that you need giant lenses to take advantage of it.
5Dm2 + 24-70L is a whole different beast than T3i with kit. Also people seem get more camera aware when I pull out the full frame rig.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:07 PM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

I have a Speedlite

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:09 PM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

mclldavidson wrote:
I have a Speedlite

Then it also depends on how good of a photographer you are. If you are skilled then 5D with 50mm 1.8 and speedlite will give you really nice quality.

BTW, that is a great price on the 5D.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:21 PM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

I'm not skilled. I figure I could get 4-500 out of my T3i and be in the 5d for no cost is why I am woondering

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:23 PM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

mclldavidson wrote:
I'm not skilled. I figure I could get 4-500 out of my T3i and be in the 5d for no cost is why I am woondering

What lenses do you have?

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:24 PM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

Just the kit and 55-250

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:24 PM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

mclldavidson wrote:
Just the kit and 55-250

Then I would just keep what you have. I think those lenses are great and it will cost you a lot to replace them with full frame equivalent.
But obviously, it's just my opinion.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:30 PM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

Ok, you said the price was great. If I was to buy it, how much do these usually sell for on here?

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

That's a tough call. The T3i is more modern tech and higher MP, but if you aren't interesting in video, that's a lot of its gain. Still, the T3i has Live View, which the 5D doesn't. The 5D has very nice full frame image, even if it is lower MP. And that price is amazing -- you pretty well have to jump on the 5D for under $500.

You will need a decent lens for the 5D, and that will be a few hundred to over a thousand, unless you get the cheapest 50/1.8 just to get by for now.

I wish I could be more help, but I see pluses and minuses just about balanced. The plus is slightly in favor of the 5D.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

If its in good condition, I think a 5D with 20k for $480 is an excellent deal. I had this same dilemma when I was shooting with a 60D and I chose the 5D. The 5D is slower (older processor, fps, handling, etc), but I certainly enjoy the photos that come out of it. FF is very nice and I think it'll be hard for me to go back to APS-C other than for the really small bodies like the NEX or the OMD lines.

Again, though, T3i with lenses will probably be a bit lighter/smaller package. Also, it has newer technologies, swiveling screen, liveview, on board flash, higher fps, higher max iso (for web-sized and small prints, I went all the way up to 6400 ISO), 18 MP sensor, larger/better LCD (higher resolution, I do miss this), the list goes on. Finally, the only real advantage of the 5D is that sweet sweet 12 MP full frame sensor; that comes with cleaner high ISO (maxing out at 1600), shorter (more control) DoF, focal lengths at actual focal lengths.

The 5D is 7 years old technology, while the T3i is only about a year old. If you go the 5D route, I'd check to see if the mirror has been reinforced. This isn't really an issue for me personally, as people have put it back and Canon fixes for free (with free cleaning and they used to even replace the shutter, but I think they've gone stingy over the years). You can't reliably check the shutter count on a 5D either, all the online checkers need DigicIII+, so I hope this person is someone you can trust or use your best judgement. Finally, if the first serial is 0 it was made in 2005, 1 = 2006, 2 = 2007, 3 = 2008. Good luck in your decision!

Edit- HAHAHA I took so long in typing my reply, there are many others now. I just want to add that I did love the two kit lenses (18-55 IS and 55-250 IS). They are quite sharp even if they are variable aperture.

On your question, I believe $600 will get a 5D sold right away, things have slowed down a little with the economy and all the new FF bodies that came out recently.

Edited on Oct 23, 2012 at 03:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:34 PM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

For casual picture taking the T3i might be better because of its lower size/weight. The 5D is better if you can deal with its limitations (no auto ISO, manual sensor cleaning, no Live View, poor LCD screen, noise at high ISO) because of its image quality. But I personally would not upgrade bodies unless you'd be willing to invest money in prime lenses. The main advantage of shooting a 5D over a T3i would be the shallower depth-of-field to make your portraits 'pop', but you would need wide-aperture lenses to take advantage of it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:40 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

A lot of us, when starting out begin thinking a 'better' camera will help. Truth is, the difference in IQ between the 2 cameras is not that noticeable unless you get to pixel-peeping at larger print sizes. Save the 480 and put it toward really good glass later.

Your kit now probably covers everything you need. Master what you have, and later invest in good glass if you feel you need it. With all due respects to Jule Styne, Leo Robin and Marilyn Monroe, "Good glass is a photog's best friend.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

One of the things that struck me about using the 5D is the huge and bright viewfinder. Compared to the 5D, the T3i VF is like a small window at the end of a dark tunnel. That big VF really makes composing and keeping horizons level easy. Plus the "glory" of the scene is much more evident through that big VF. But, yeah, the 5D has a terrible LCD compared to the t3i so there is a trade-off.

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:38 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

Guess it depends how happy you are with your current camera. Do you miss shots or feel limited due to low light?

I had a 5D which I used for family photos for a couple years (now have 5DII). I find low light indoor photography a common scenario. The better noise capability of the 5D is a big plus. I reach for my flash while outdoors for fill light, but try to avoid it indoors. With the cheap 50mm 1.8 lens you can have a lot of fun. The 5D lcd is not the best but adequate unless you need live view. Avoid the 00xxx, and 01xxx serials as the lcd was improved subsequently.

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:17 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

I would stay with the t3i and invest in a prime lens that covers the "normal" range. Canon 28mm 1.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 35mm f/2...all great lenses and will supplement your kit/telephoto nicely.

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:47 PM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

Thanks all for the input, looks like I should buy it and sell it for a little profit

Oct 23, 2012 at 08:03 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

mclldavidson wrote:
Thanks all for the input, looks like I should buy it and sell it for a little profit

that price looks good but you never can tell with those really old models

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:12 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

I bought a 5D last week and immediately used it instead of my usual 40D and 1V for a studio session.

Very easy to use despite its vintage. However.....I would use the 40D for general stuff as the newer technology does make things easier.....and I guess that would be the same in your case.

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:21 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d classic or T3i for basic user?

Keep the T3i, and for the marginal "profit" you're going to get it eaten up in shipping and fees, and the hassle of testing, driving and everything else, I don't feel it's worth the effort. If you were going to use it along with the "newer" technologied T3i, that's great. But with the equipment that you have, this late in the game it's not feasible to change systems...That's just my $.02 though...

Oh, and I had a 5D a few years ago, and loved it...

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password