Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

ESC in KC
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

I was very excited that my daughter and her fiance asked me to do an engagement photo session - they recently became engaged and although they have already booked their wedding photog who will also be providing an E-session, they really wanted to go out and shoot with me around the KU campus. They are both finishing up their degrees this year, and my daughter is a third generation Jayhawker in my family (my Mom, wife and I all graduated from KU). We are really proud of these two and couldn't possibly be happier for them both.

I'm not a wedding photog - nor am I an engagement shooter (I've only done one of each in the past) but that's ok... the price was pretty fair for them so they had (literally) nothing to lose.

The goal for the shoot was to incorporate some favorite areas of campus while at the same time keeping some romance in the images. Hopefully I was successful at doing so!

We got about 45 shots we that we all liked but I think that would overload even the most interested of viewers here on FM - so here are my favorites.

#1 - Allen Field House

#2 - At statue of old KU coach at Allen Field House

#3 - We know this area as Wescoe Beach

#4 - Finally... some romance!

#5 - At the Chi Omega fountain

#6 - Still at the Chi O fountain

#7 - Ok... ONE more at the fountain!

#8 - No place in particular; just loved the light

#10 - Strolling in Marvin Grove

#12 - Hanging out in the Grove

#17 - Pretty recognizable landmark for Jayhawks - Campenile Bell Tower

#18 - Entrance to the Campenile Bell Tower

#19 - Tradition says, kiss here and you shall be married

#22 - Self explanatory location

#23 - Day-um... am I already up to 23? Ok... I'll stop (soon)

#24 - one more to call it a day. This is my near-total fail at doing the umbrella thing I saw Ron post last week. I blew it out and did a really poor job balancing ambient. We were really rushed to make another commitment so this was hurry up, try it, and go. Maybe next time I'll do better now that I've tried it once...

Thanks for looking - sorry so many!

Oct 22, 2012 at 08:48 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Looks like my web host is having issues with the links - should clean up soon. Sorry if it isn't loading quickly or fully!

Oct 22, 2012 at 08:50 PM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

4,5,19, 23 = favs. Some of them seem cool-temp (1,2,3,7,13,14,15, etc.) but you did a fabulous job of fully utilizing your surroundings. My guess is that they LOVE their photos. Nice work, thanks for sharing!

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Oh Ed, I certainly have to comment now, don't I?

First, it's a wonderful series and I'm sure your daughter is very, very happy to have these, although they'll probably make their photographer look bad. But that's a good thing -- for you.

No. 1 is a really nice picture, but I would change things up a bit. For me this works best when the lines are diagonal. I'm thinking you took this with a wide-angle lens for the way the building's line angle away from each other on opposite sides. If you can straighten them in PS through Perspective, that will help. Then crop on the edge of the rock wall part on the far side of each subject. That's my style/vision, anyway.

No. 2. Seriously, three generations of KU student's and Phog Allen is just an old coach from KU? Had to call you on that!

No. 5, I love this shot, but her face is on the wrong side of him. If she turned her face the opposite way, you'll see their faces better and it becomes even more romantic. Great setup, just a beautiful shot.

No. 19, "tradition says 'kiss here and you shall be married.'" Do butterfly kisses count?

No. 24. It's not so bad that it's a failure as you call it. When you shoot at dusk, using settings to keep the ambient light in, you just have to turn down the speed light. I don't know what light you used or what power setting, but you were probably only two power settings off from a really nice exposure. If her face isn't blown out, this actually works very nicely. The whole point of this is to have that rim of light around them. I'd like to see if you can burn in her face a little more. Oh, one more thing, it looks like you had the speed light zoomed out wide. I only do that when they're in the rain. For me, anyway, I like it best when I minimize how much the speedlight is lighting up so it's not lighting up all that grass unless that's what I want it to do. Put in the zoom in tight and see how you like it.

Those are my only nits. Other than that, I loved all the other pics just as they are. My faves are 4, 8, 9, 15, 21, 23 and 24 as I think those are the shots that really captured their personality and their emotions. Not that the others didn't, but these did it best, I thought. 5 absolutely would have been my overall favorite if the faces were in the shot, as mentioned earlier. Great job!

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:18 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Good compositions and location use. Loved the set. Nice job.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:18 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

@ brianclary - thanks for commenting. Totally agree some of these are too cool. I am usually very careful about that but somehow several of these are poorly balanced. Will be correcting that before prints. Appreciate your feedback - and yes, they did love them, and that made me feel great!

Hey Ron - I appreciate the thoughtful and detailed review. I hope mine don't make the pro's work look bad! We are paying him way too much for that to happen! And good call out on the blow-by about Phog. We are (of course) huge hoops fans but I guess I just thought his greatness paled in comparison to my daughter and finace posing on his statue. Great tips on the lighting for umbrella shot. Hope I get another crack at that sometime soon. Will definitely take more time to get it right.

@ Jim R - I always appreciate you taking a moment to comment. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:56 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Overall a very nice set. Being a KU fan, I was thrilled.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM

ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Thanks Hawks Fan - rock chalk!

Oct 25, 2012 at 09:42 PM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

First off congrats on the engagement, they are a beautiful couple. And nice work on the photos, really like them, the KU campus is awesome in the fall. I will be down there in two weeks, hope some of the color is still there! And will have a son enrolled there in two years so will be seeing a lot more of it then.

thanks for posting.

Oct 26, 2012 at 06:49 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Thanks Gary! Appreciate your comments and enjoy the visit to KU.

Oct 28, 2012 at 01:37 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

4, 20 and 22 for me.

Great job!! It says a lot about you as a father that your daughter seems so comfortable around you!! Congrats to you and yours!

Oct 28, 2012 at 01:59 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Thanks benee!

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:23 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Very nice, Ed. I love the wide perspective in #1. The light and tones in 4 are fantastic and I really like the processing on this one, too. Nice job on the framing in 5. 7 seems a little grey or something compared to 6, could just be my monitor, though. 10 - love this one, I'm always a sucker for little people shots. 19 - very nice balance and the bonus clouds in the window are very cool. 24, I don't mind the brightness on them, I think it actually helps them to stand out more.

--David

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:11 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rock Chalk E-Session (24 pics)

Thanks for your comments and review David. I always appreciate hearing from you. Glad you like the umbrella shot - my daughter had tons of really nice comments about that one on her Facebook. But then again, they have never seen that shot done well by those more skilled than I.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password