Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this ...

cineski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

Ahhh, professional photography. The most romanticized yet blatantly unromantic career any artist can choose to partake in. It just seems so easy to buy a camera and start pressing that shutter and selling your work for the world to see for big $. That is until you realize most people have to go to hell and back with a lot of hard work and $ to truly make it as a successful photographer. I'm in a big market, so this advice stems from that point of view. I also know a lot of photographers in smaller markets and after a lot of talking with them I feel this advice is good for a small market, too. The key is, are you willing to go to figurative hell and back to make it? If so, do you have what it takes to not be a bitter mess at the end of the tunnel when you become a respected photographer who actually makes money? This is the key to success in today's market and why the insane influx of photographers, both wedding and commercial, simply will not make it in the end. So many of the newest generation of photographers are taught to get rich quick by rock stars who aren't making it as photographers themselves. As my good friend who runs a busy photo studio once told me, "I don't possibly have time to teach people to photograph because I'm too busy photographing." I'd much rather learn from him than someone charging me a fee to sit in an audience telling me how amazing I'll be. But hear this: In a town like LA, I know a relative handful of pro photographers that are enjoying big success. Most of the tens of thousands (maybe more) of them are struggling. Some of them are in their 50's and still struggling to cope with the new norms of the photography industry. I can't imagine how scary that would be, can you?

It's unfortunate but it seems to me that hard work and patience and self value have suffered a lot. Are there people who can get busy very quickly? Of course! That's not saying it's not possible, but for the vast majority of successful photographers I know, meaning making enough money to buy a house and save money for retirement and paying for their family's health care, most of them are in their mid 40's to 50's. A few are in their 30's. What do you think would happen if you told the new school of photographers it'll take you -on average- 10-15 years of very hard work to become a successful, sustainable professional photographer? Do you think I could charge lots of money for them to come see me talk? No, and that's the danger of the rock stars. One of the most successful photographers I personally know is a paparazzi. The majority of pro "artists first" photographers I know are in debt, under employed, wondering what else they can do with their lives but still pushing on. Sad but a reality. But the point is to make it in photography you must realize it has nothing to do with art and everything to do with people and business skills. Annie Leibovitz became Annie Leibovitz because she has people skills. She could get into interesting situations with famous people. It's not because she was an amazing photographer at first. Once you hone your people and business skills then it becomes about the art. There's some young, super busy, very talented photographers coming in to the commercial photography world. Problem is they're very cheap and not charging usage and big companies are lapping this up to save money. But what happens when those photographers who have given their all, have an awesome portfolio built up, have lots of companies wanting their photographer suddenly realize they can't sustain their photo careers by giving their work away for free? They actually must charge a lot of money. What happens when you tell a company that you've been doing huge favors for just to get work that you now have to charge them? You'll be replaced by the next talented photographer who is working for cheap or credit and left to reinvent yourself. It is a completely unsustainable business practice that has caused the fall of the photography industry as we know it. The absolute best thing the new photographers can do is nip this problem in the bud now and place value on what they create. Is that hard to do? Yes. I'm constantly bombarded with people wanting cheap photography. I choose not to work with them. Same thing with weddings. You simply cannot sustain yourself if you partake in the underbidding war. The only reason my clients value what I do is because I personally place value on what I create.

So, my advice is, give it 2-3 years as a part timer and see if it's something you really want to do full time. I can't tell you how truly hard it is to become a successful photographer in any sized market, you just have to go through it. But dedicate yourself as much as you can. I'm personally teetering on the edge of really good success, and despite the fact it's been hard to get here, I've coped well with it and am a very happy person. I've fallen out of love with photography 3-4 times and every time I come back and love photography even more. My quality of clients have jumped greatly this year (in the midst of the massive recession) due to lots of very hard work, a little bit of luck, knowing the right people and sticking to who I am as a person and photographer.

But the worst thing you can do to succeed is to do what all the other new photographers are doing, and that is to not value what you do. I constantly see people write how they're not full time and therefore don't need to charge a lot. Or some business wants to use their image to make money with said business and they don't feel like they should charge anything because they're not a pro. Or they're full time and they think they'll be happy eating Ramen every night for the rest of their lives. I've seen part timers state full time photographers in their market closed shop because they weren't willing to compete with what the part timers were doing. They don't realize they CAN'T be cheap to compete and that they personally should have charged more so they could stop being part time and go full time like they really want to. These thought processes are so misplaced it's scary. You DON'T want to succeed? You're muting your own success as a photographer?! Why? Heck, if I were to go from full time to part time I'd still be charging as much as the market can possibly bare simply because that's what a good, sustainable business does.

Anyway, take this for what it is: A point of view.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Nic Cleave
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

If you're in the Uk right now, and planning to do weddings as a full time occupation...my advice to someone asking this very question would be quite simply..."DON'T".

Cheers,

Nic

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:06 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

How bad do you want it? Let the answer dictate which path you should take.

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:25 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

There's TONS of good advice here. Although it pertains to switching from editorial work to shooting weddings, there's still a lot that applies to someone looking to break into wedding photography in general.

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2012/03/from-photojournalist-to-wedding-photographer-video-with-chip-litherland/

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:55 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

Here are some great tips from some super-great awesome wedding photographers that have put out some of the most awesomest wedding classes in the world!

Use P mode. P means Pretty.
Bokeh everything.
Add lots of vignette.
Do the Instagram filters.
Don't forget to take pix of flower petals and shoe laces!!!

And always buzz like crazy in FB. Words like "I love this couple!" or "We just shot the most awesome wedding" or "We had an awesome time with this ridiculously awesomely beautiful bride..." always nets you LIKEs! I hope one day FB will allow Likes to be exchanged for $$$.

All the best! You can do it!

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

The real money is in selling things to other photographers...

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1159763/0#11061858

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

M Lucca wrote:
Use P mode. P means Pretty.
Bokeh everything.
Add lots of vignette.
Do the Instagram filters.
Don't forget to take pix of flower petals and shoe laces!!!

And always buzz like crazy in FB. Words like "I love this couple!" or "We just shot the most awesome wedding" or "We had an awesome time with this ridiculously awesomely beautiful bride..."

Thanks, Jasmine.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:48 AM
jamadophoto

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

Shadow a photographer a couple of times and work on your customer service skills. Good luck!

Edited by Fred Miranda on Oct 23, 2012 at 04:20 PM

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:54 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

^^ Reported for SEO Spam.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:28 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

^ reported for excessive use of ---> ^

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

The only thing that really matters is figuring out how to get people to pay sustainable prices for your work. If you can figure that out, you'll do fine in this, or in any self-employed career. If you can't, then you'll end up somewhere else.

Beyond a very basic level, the photography doesn't matter at all. Ditto with the equipment. It's really just about marketing and networking.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

Like tobicus wrote. It's just about like most anything else in that there's a market for wedding photography and the business goes to those who out-market others. Any business is going to face very similar situations about acquiring clients willing to pay sustainable rates. Even doctors are concerned about keeping their practices because the bottom line is, at the end of the day they're running businesses too and need patients to come to them and not to their colleagues. So whether it's a photography business or a medical practice or retail store or carpet cleaning service - it's always about getting people in *your* door.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:28 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · what advice would you give someone just starting in this field?

paparazzinick wrote:
Heard this 10 years ago. The person who told me said he heard it 10 years prior. The person that told him heard it 10 years prior too. And so on.

I do agree with you, the profession is dead to new people trying to get in. But if you're in and established, making money and continuing to better yourself and stay ahead of the competition. Then you are fine and the 10 year prediction is a moot point for you.

And Professional Photography as we knew it 10 years ago is gone. And so it will be again.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password