Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · denied at Antelope Canyon.. ?

Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · denied at Antelope Canyon.. ?

Came across this interesting piece on my G+/facebook feed. denied access

As far as I know, the reason you need a guide is because this lies on Navajo land, not "safety" reasons. If that was the case, they would close this off when there was chance of rain...

Thoughts on this? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening anywhere?

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:52 PM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · denied at Antelope Canyon.. ?

This is not unusual for the Navajo management. They have some pretty bizarre rules at Monument Valley, which may or may not be enforced.

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #3 · denied at Antelope Canyon.. ?

lukeb wrote:
This is not unusual for the Navajo management. They have some pretty bizarre rules at Monument Valley, which may or may not be enforced.

Really? I have read some things about Monument Valley, but hadn't heard of having the "right" type camera to get in..

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · denied at Antelope Canyon.. ?

It really just sounds like he was speaking to the wrong "tour group company."

There is a "Photographer's Tour" which is generally a longer tour designed with photography in mind. There is a new "permit" requirement for potential "commercial use" which is really just more of a money grab than anything---absolutely nothing is given in return for purchasing the "commercial" permit, in which I'd expect at the very least some crowd control. Zero.

I photographed Antelope Canyon just over a year ago with my son. I used the Phase IQ180 (annoying when the "photo guide" kept wanting to grab my camera) and my son used a Panasonic GF1----mirrorless no less. They just want your money, and I'm sure if you talk to the right people they will be more than willing to relieve you of your wallet.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #5 · denied at Antelope Canyon.. ?

Having made several trips there, I would like to add the following.

1. This was at UPPER Antelope Valley, not Lower Antelope Valley. The two are distinctly different on the interiors, in access, in visitation, and in photographic "rules" and "controls."

2. Dealing only with UAV, the place is a madhouse during the middle of the day, every day during tourist season (April through October), as the floor is dead flat, the place is easy to get to, and it has 95% of all the "light beams" you will find in the area's slot canyons. Visually it is simply stunning at the right time of day. Massive numbers of tour groups (sometimes as many as 5 or 6 big busloads at a time) compete with hundreds of other "drive up" people for entry during the key 4 hour periods each day. When you consider that the place is less than 3/8 mile long and in some places only 1 person wide, you can begin to understand the issues that exist, especially with large numbers of people carrying smart phones, point and shoots, monopods, baby tripods, and even flash (dear God!) systems as they move through the place.

3. The process the Navajo seem to have adopted is to push through all tour groups and "non-photography oriented" groups at a fast walking pace, saying all the time - "look at this, and that, and turn your flash off....please keep together and keep moving." The people in "photography oriented groups" also have to be guided, but they get preferential treatment, being set up and arranged at all the available "light beams" and other photographic interest areas by their guides. They get to shoot several shots before being hustled to the next position so the photo tours behind them can get into position (kind of a high speed rotation). All the time the other tourists are being herded along, around, through....keep on moving!

4. You have to see UAV in action during tourist season to believe it. whithout really tough crowd management and limited times in the canyon it would simply be a giant deathtrap.

5. For someone to "show up" at the entry point without doing ANY research about the place, and then to complain about the policies in place (reasonable or not, and I do consider some of them unreasonable, but it IS their land) is simply silly (and yes, I read his whole blog and all the comments). Information about this situation, and the requirement for and availability of guides for people wanting to do ....shall I call it "serious amateur photography"....is READILY and FREELY available all over the internet, as well as from multiple places in Page itself. In this day and age for anyone to go anywhere without doing basic research first is somewhat irrational, not to mention asking for disapointment.

6. In my interpretation, the individual was initially upset because he was denied the opportunity to do what he wanted....go through UAV by himself, without a guide. That simply isn't going to happen, nor should it. You will note in his blog that he did get access on a one-on-one guided tour of UAV, even with his non-DSLR camera.....for the same price as a group tour. For most of us, a one-on-one guided experience is something to be treasured in most cases.

Gene

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:27 PM
dalite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · denied at Antelope Canyon.. ?

Hard for me to be convinced that that is the policy of the Navaho Tribe on Antelope Canyon. I think the man talked to the wrong person in the ticket office. Yes, they do rush you through organized tours because there are so many groups one right behind the other that the guide is constantly reminding people to move on.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password