Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

bpham
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

I've a Dell U2711 and love it. The colors and gray scale are excellent. I calibrated it with the i1Display device. However, image like this one below, on the Dell looks exactly what I want it. However, when displaying on the Macbook Pro, or the 27'' Thunderbolt, the gray/dark areas seem to lose all of its details.

I calibrated for 80cdm2 which is basically even darker than normal just to make sure that I give the final result a little bit more brightness when displaying on other monitors or prints.

On the image below, anyone can see the details in the dark areas around this girl? I actually want areas around her dark enough, but not losing all details.

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:52 PM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

By the way, on Firefox browser, you will see it more accurately than on other browsers, so please use Firefox.

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:53 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

laptop displays are never going to be as good as a very good standalone.

You may want to try something like changing the gamma or raise the black point of the laptop display during calibration setup.

Oct 21, 2012 at 02:44 PM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

How did it look on yours, though? Thanks.

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:06 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

On my calibrated monitor, I can make out the bed and pillows in the background. However, it is rather subtle. As Howard pointed out, laptop displays are notoriously bad for critical image viewing (at least the ones I've seen). The gamma changes quite dramatically as the vertical viewing angle changes (tilt of screen). The screen tilt can make the difference between the background looking light and somewhat washed out, to looking totally black. BTW, your image is in AdobeRGB color space, so if you're viewing it via a web browser, you should use Firefox as most other browsers assume everything is sRGB.

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:06 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

I can see the bed and pillows in the background too. I can also see up her skirt, which i would perhaps view as a more important PP issue

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:03 PM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

Bob/15Bit,

Thanks for taking the time to "VIEW" and reply. Yes, I wanted the background to be subtle but not too visible. Also I understood that laptop viewing is not a good comparison to a dedicated/tuned monitor. However, I decided to lighten the background just a little bit so that it is a little more visible, however, in the process I had to lift her up a bit more...a compromise, perhaps.

Here is the new version...I think it is better...

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bpham
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

However, the original post was the monitor brightness question...not just this particular image...

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:13 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

Your shadows are probably too dark. I can barely see the details on a good monitor. Not enough in my opinion. To accurately evaluate an image, look at the numbers. The monitor and your eyes may lie to you, but the numbers don't lie.

Here is a version showing blue where the RGB luminosity is 15 or less. Most monitors and eyes can't distinguish details below that level.

Here's how I made that blue image. I found this tip long ago, can't remember the source. I think it might have been in a Calvin Hollywood video.

1. Add a temporary Gradient Map adjustment layer.
2. Change the left color of the Gmap to the desired shadow clipping color (blue).
3. Change the right color of the Gmap to the desired highlight clipping color (red).
4. Double click on the blank area of the Gmap layer to access the blending options.
5. In the Blend If (Gray) section, drag the Underlying Layer sliders.
6. Move the white slider from the right side (255) to the desired shadow clipping level (10 to 15?).
7. Move the black slider from the left side (0) to desired highlight clipping level (240 to 250?).

Don't get confused because this sounds backwards.
The black slider sets the highlight clipping, the white slider sets the shadow clipping.

Put all that in an action for easy access. Before you start any other adjustments, run the action to create the "Clipping Indicator" layer, and keep this layer on top of the layer stack. Add your other adjustments below it. If you do anything to cause clipping, it will immediately show up as red or blue. Toggle the layer on and off as you work. When finished, delete the layer.

If no clipping indication shows up, go back to the "Blend If" options and adjust the sliders until clipping indication does appear. Look at the numbers to see where it happens, giving you a good idea of how much leeway you have left.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:25 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

Also, beware of a LCD brightness as low as 80 for two reasons. First, that's so dark that you can't see detail yourself. Second, the color calibration of most systems starts losing accuracy at extremely low (or high) brightness settings.

I have a NEC 2490 with the Spectraview calibration system. Supposed to be one of the best. I've calibrated at brightness levels between 90 and 110. At 90, the calibration software reports "DeltaE" numbers outside the recommended acceptable range. Mostly in the lower ranges.

So I settled on a brightness of 100. Even at that level, my prints look just slightly darker than my screen.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:35 PM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

Redcrown, thanks.

I was thinking of doing something similar like that...but with just using the eye-dropper in PS...however, your method is good, and I can automated using the " action.

Let me try that. I did set the brightness 90 before, however, since my print was also a little darker than the image on the monitor, therefore, I purposely lower it to 80. The logic for lowering the 90 to 80 was if my monitor is darker than before, then when I post-process my images, if I see them as having appropriate darkness level then it would be brighter when printing and viewing...then it is correct. So not sure I understand your change from 90 to 100...or maybe you set it higher than 100 before?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:56 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

I went back to 100 from 90 because my Spectraview software said the color accuracy at 90 was significantly less than at 100. That's what the DeltaE numbers are all about. I decided to trade accurate colors for slightly less accurate tone.

But that's all a function of the monitor and calibration system. Some monitors and calibrators may be able to keep accurate colors below brightness 100, but I suspect most can not.

And of course, over the next 5 years all this will be out the window as LCD technology advances.

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:42 PM
bpham
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about Monitor Calibrication

Very good information, Redcrown. I will recalibrated mine back and see what happens...this color management stuffs give me headache, good for some bad for other areas...can't win them all.

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password