Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

Just upgraded my computer and wanted to take advantage of the claimed speed boost of USB 3.0. Purchased the Lexar USB 3.0 CF card reader and found to my surprise that file transfer times are no faster than the Lexar USB 2.0 that I already had. As far as I can tell, I have all of the correct drivers installed (USB 3.0 driver for the mobo; upgraded firmware for the card reader).

Are there any troubleshooting steps that I should try before returning the card reader for a refund?

Thanks,

John

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM
danielutzu

p.1 #2 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

First, you also need fast CF cards. 60MB/s cards (400x) will only read at said speed. 600x or 1000x cards should read faster.

Separately, make sure you're using a USB3 cable. It sounds retarded, but USB2 cables won't work, even though they are identical pinwise. Make sure your cable has the blue USB3 connectors on it and is connected to the blue usb3 connector on the motherboard.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

Something's wrong. My Lexar USB 3.0 reader gives approx. twice the download speed (half the time) for CF cards, in comparison with my older USB 2.0 readers. This is for both my current (new) computer with native USB 3 connectivity, and my previous (old) computer, with an el cheapo add-on USB 3 board (~$30).

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #4 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

First, you also need fast CF cards. 60MB/s cards (400x) will only read at said speed. 600x or 1000x cards should read faster.

Thanks for the comments. Daniel, your point about card speed is right on the mark: my cards are the older SanDisk extreme cards with only a 30MB/sec speed rating. I foolishly didn't do my homework on this part of the computer upgrade -- which means I now have to decide whether to keep the USB 3.0 reader or do still more upgrading (new CF cards!).

John

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

danielutzu wrote:

Separately, make sure you're using a USB3 cable. It sounds retarded, but USB2 cables won't work, even though they are identical pinwise. Make sure your cable has the blue USB3 connectors on it and is connected to the blue usb3 connector on the motherboard.

A USB 2.0 reader will only read at about 30 MB/sec., so the difference will be apparent with anything faster than a 300x card.

The USB 3.0 cable "A" connector has the USB 2.0 connections, but also the separate ones for USB 3.0. In any case the "B" end is clearly different. A standard USB 2.0 cable (D connector on the B end) will work on a USB 3 device, albeit in UAB 2.0 mode.

EBH

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

do you hve the updated usb3 driver for your machine? what machine did you upgrade to?

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

just for reference a micro usb2 connector (ones used to charge most non apple phones today) will fit in the wide side of the female portion of the reader and any of the wide micro connectors in 2.5 external drives and such. they will power and deliver usb2 support to to the devices and be operable

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:08 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

sjms wrote:
just for reference a micro usb2 connector (ones used to charge most non apple phones today) will fit in the wide side of the female portion of the reader and any of the wide micro connectors in 2.5 external drives and such. they will power and deliver usb2 support to to the devices and be operable

Yes they do, but I've had some problems due to insufficient power. A cardreader should be fine though.

EBH

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

i have run a 500gb HD w/o issue on the sager notebook i am typing on right now. power issues are usually machine maker based.

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

My USB 3.0 reader was MUCH faster (with fast cards) than my USB 2.0, but only after I updated the USB drivers...

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #11 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

do you hve the updated usb3 driver for your machine? what machine did you upgrade to?

I'm pretty sure I have the most up-to-date USB 3.0 driver for my system, but I will double-check that. My upgraded computer now has a core i7-3770K CPU, ASUS P8Z77-V LK mobo, 16GB RAM, and a 128GB SSD.

I've gone ahead and ordered a Lexar 16GB 1000X UDMA 7 CF card. This should take full-advantage of the Lexar card reader's speed.

Thanks for all the comments.

John

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:34 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

Yeah - you'll like that card. I have the same one, and did some USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0 testing (after fixing my driver issue...)

http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2012/09/09/1000x_plus_usb3-0awesome/

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:57 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #13 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

New computer and Lexar 3.0 card reader 2X faster compared to Lexar 2.0 reader on same machine and same card...FYI.
Not the five times of advertising hype but a nice improvement.

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:06 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

matt4626 wrote:
New computer and Lexar 3.0 card reader 2X faster compared to Lexar 2.0 reader on same machine and same card...FYI.
Not the five times of advertising hype but a nice improvement.

What card was it? If you check my link above, the 1000X card was six times faster on USB 3.0 vs. USB 2.0. Very awesome.

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:06 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

My Sandisk Ultra cards (30mb/s) are about 3 times faster than usb 2 with the Lexar USB 3 that you are mentioning, I have two of them.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

You must have a damn slow USB 2.0 reader or the card reads faster than rated.

EBH

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Slow USB 3.0 Lexar Card Reader

My USB 2 is a Sandisk Extreme reader. Is the cards posted speed read or write? That might explain it?

Oct 24, 2012 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password