Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · check you 5D3's MA.

hanak347

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · check you 5D3's MA.

someone told me about this today...

either you haven't used your 5d3 in awhile, or you just get it back from the center, or you just finish upgrading firmware for your 5d3,

sometimes its MA changes to -8...

so when you go out for shooting,

make sure you go to setting and check your MA,

just to make sure your 5d3's MA isn't -8.

he said it can be some kind of software problem, and hopefully canon will recognize it soon

and fix this software issue.

if you do not have this issue, that's good, but if you do,

just to make sure to change it, otherwise you will have whole bunch of pictures that are out of focus.

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:20 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · check you 5D3's MA.

sound like memory leaks to me..but how

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:23 AM
hanak347

p.1 #3 · check you 5D3's MA.

mttran...

i think there is something wrong with the software...

i heard it happened quite often to 5d3's owners...

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:28 AM
dave_63
• •
p.1 #4 · check you 5D3's MA.

Just checked mine, which I bought in March, and have never done a firmware update. Although I have not MA'd any of my lenses on it and have it disabled, it shows "adjust all lenses by -8"

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #5 · check you 5D3's MA.

Ouch

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:29 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · check you 5D3's MA.

I've done the firmware update and adjusted all lenses MFA and never had it spontaneously go to -8. Maybe it doesn't write 0s in all cases to those data entries if you have MFA turned off and ends up using -8?

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:31 PM
dave_63
• •
p.1 #7 · check you 5D3's MA.

skibum5 wrote:
I've done the firmware update and adjusted all lenses MFA and never had it spontaneously go to -8. Maybe it doesn't write 0s in all cases to those data entries if you have MFA turned off and ends up using -8?

Maybe I need to break down and do the update? I'm a bit leary to do so since I had issues with updates on my mkIV and 7d

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · check you 5D3's MA.

So weird. I just checked mine and the "All by the same amount" line is set at -8. However, my setting is on "Adjust by lens" as I've done MA via FoCal on my 100-400. Therefore, it wasn't affecting my shots but it is a bug that is there. I'm on firmware 1.1.3.

Oct 20, 2012 at 07:11 PM
dave_63
• •
p.1 #9 · check you 5D3's MA.

arbitrage wrote:
So weird. I just checked mine and the "All by the same amount" line is set at -8. However, my setting is on "Adjust by lens" as I've done MA via FoCal on my 100-400. Therefore, it wasn't affecting my shots but it is a bug that is there. I'm on firmware 1.1.3.

Weird indeed! It isn't affecting my shots in any way either, but now that I know about it... it's bugging me........ I'm kinda funny that way

Oct 20, 2012 at 07:14 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · check you 5D3's MA.

arbitrage wrote:

Both my MkIv's are 1.1.1, not sure what is current.

Is there an issue with the MkIv and FW?

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dave_63
• •
p.1 #11 · check you 5D3's MA.

RobertLynn wrote:
Both my MkIv's are 1.1.1, not sure what is current.

Is there an issue with the MkIv and FW?

Robert.. It appears to be an isolated incident only affecting me, but in August (whatever the newest firmware out at the time was) I updated the night before I left on vacation. The first sequence I shot after the update, my ISO, apeture, and shutter speed jumped all over the place. I just happened to be shooting a bald eagle flying 50 ft above my head, carrying a groundhog. Out of a sequence of 30 shots or so, I only got one frame that was somewhat usable. It hasn't happened since but it has made me a bit nervous about updates, since I know I'll never have an eagle fly over me with a groundhog again This was with my mkIV... the 7d is a whole other story.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #12 · check you 5D3's MA.

In the embedded world one common error is where a firmware update changes a saved file format, but doesn't also clear out the file or have some kind of mechanism to load it using the original format. Instead it tries to load the old file using the new format, resulting in settings or data getting corrupted.

If it happened just once it could be something like that. If it seems to be happening repeatedly (without any firmware updating) try wiping the battery backup memory and if it continues to fail, then something else is going on here.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · check you 5D3's MA.

arbitrage wrote:

hmm i havent' looked at the all by same amount thing since i always use by lens

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #14 · check you 5D3's MA.

My Wifes, which was never adjusted, was set on all lenses -8.
:-/ whats with this canon?

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:10 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #15 · check you 5D3's MA.

kodakeos wrote:
My Wifes, which was never adjusted, was set on all lenses -8.
:-/ whats with this canon?

Maybe -8 is the default for that mode. But, I can't imagine every using that mode.

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:26 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · check you 5D3's MA.

I checked info in DPP for the images taken with my 5D MK III's, FW 1.1.3.

There was no entry in the image information for AFMA until after I set the body to by lens and adjusted each lens.

I only took 2 images before I started doing AFMA, but both of them show no AFMA field in the info.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM
j5daniel

p.1 #17 · check you 5D3's MA.

Can we sue canon for this. My focus was off for two weddings because of this!
I know we should check settings before shooting, but I never even tried to change it to begin with!

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:57 AM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #18 · check you 5D3's MA.

interesting. Finally got around to doing the MF adjustment on my lenses Saturday - EVERY lens was right on the money zoomed all the way in, and EVERY lens NEEDED about -8 at the wide end!

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #19 · check you 5D3's MA.

8 points is exactly one full depth of focus.

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:41 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #20 · check you 5D3's MA.

Andrew J wrote:
8 points is exactly one full depth of focus.

Exactly, eh? How do you figure that?

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password