Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

cjwhitsett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

FMers,

First off, it is worth mentioning again what a tremendous help this board has been. I've been researching printers, inks and papers for the last week and I have gained so much insight from this board! I have bought an Epson R3000 and am going to use the Cone Pro ink system from the very getgo (anyone in the market for some Epson Carts?).

Anyhow, my question is about papers. I'm going to be ordering some samples later and I don't want to exclude any brands that I should consider. From these boards I've been compiling a list, but I know I'm missing some. Here's what I've got so far:
-Red River
-Canson
-Hahnemuhle
-Ilford
-Harman
-Moab

Any brands I'm leaving out? Are there so many brands out there that my desire to sample "all the good ones" is completely stupid and futile?

Thanks guys!

Collin

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

I would add Crane-Museo, possibly the only US company still making paper, but you are already going to be overwhelmed with what you have. Then there is Innova, and Japanese papers from Pictorico/Mitsubishi, and InkPress who do some specialty things like backlit media. And don't forget the Epson Signature Ready sample pack.

Brian A

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:59 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

In the matte division, I would add the Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art. Expensive, but good. I completely sympathize with your desire to sample different papers. It's an adventure and also an education in how ink behaves on different surfaces. Textures vary and so does the base tint of the papers, between warm and cool. Most importantly, their gamut capability will vary. You'll have hours of fun printing the same image to different papers.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

Breathing Color

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:13 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

before you buy every sampler pack on earth, you may want to just get a decent wide-range pack like RedRiver. That will start tuning you into whether you tend to prefer matte vs luster vs gloss, cellulose vs rag, bright white/OBA vs natural, etc etc and then you can start focusing on those sorts of paper.

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:41 PM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

Howard, I'm glad you spoke up... I agree that it is wiser to pick one pack that covers most bases and then go from there. The RR pack is good one, but I do wish it had a baryta paper.... I think I might get the Canson sampler too, even though it is alot more expensive.

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:30 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

cjwhitsett wrote:
Howard, I'm glad you spoke up... I agree that it is wiser to pick one pack that covers most bases and then go from there. The RR pack is good one, but I do wish it had a baryta paper.... I think I might get the Canson sampler too, even though it is alot more expensive.

Red River do have a baryta paper, but I don't know whether it is too recent to be in the sample pack. However, if you were to start in one place, then the Canson pack offers a greater variety of paper types than the Red River pack.

The Red River baryta is their only 300 g/m˛ paper, all the others are light to medium weight, and they offer no textured fine art papers; no light, medium, or watercolor textured papers. And nothing like the photo black ink Museo Silver Rag, Canson Platine Rag, or Epson Exhibition.

I would agree that working with fewer papers would be a good way to start out, but the Red River sample pack just doesn’t cover enough.

Brian A

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

colinm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

hugowolf wrote:
I would add Crane-Museo, possibly the only US company still making paper, but you are already going to be overwhelmed with what you have.

Just Museo now. Crane sold the inkjet business off to InteliCoat several years ago, and InteliCoat unfortunately stopped using Crane base stocks a little while ago.

Still a very nice product (though a much, much narrower line than what Crane had offered) and still produced in the US, though.

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:37 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

Fair enough but I still think the RR sampler has a good selection so a new user can start to talk the 'lingo' and get a direction to head off in. There are 3 different Canson packs. As a start, I'd suggest this one.....

http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/discovery%20%282%29.asp

Which is their fine art photo.

Also, Atlex either has or makes some of their own sampler packs.

Oct 20, 2012 at 07:48 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

howardm4 wrote:
... There are 3 different Canson packs. As a start, I'd suggest this one.....
http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/discovery%20%282%29.asp
Which is their fine art photo.

There are actually bunches of different Canson sample packs around, mostly due to older stock, but the one you linked to is the A4 pack, which isn't available in N America.
Atlex/itSuplies has a 13 sheet Canson pack, B&H has a 12 sheet pack, and the Canson has a 14 sheet US pack on its website, all US letter size. They are all pretty similar.

Brian A

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:10 PM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've ordered RR, Moab, and Canson packs. The Moab and Canson are pretty similar in what they include, but they'll give me a feel for the different paper types, and (hopefully) I'll get an idea for how a couple different brands can differ when it comes to similar types of paper. We'll see. I've definitely heard more about Canson than Moab, but Moab paper is priced pretty attractively, so I wanted to check it out.

Thanks again for the help!

-Collin

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:19 PM
iweiner

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

Before you sell off the OEM carts, check if the Cone carts come with the required OEM chips. You will need them to run the Cone carts, otherwise they are $20 each! Your Cone setup will come with syringes and an adapter to suck the ink out of the OEM carts and put into your new Cone carts.

Or use the OEM carts initially and swap over to the OEM carts when they reach %15, don't let them go to empty or the chip will not be resettable. Even when the OEM carts read 'replace now!' (%~5) we find there is still 10-15 ml of ink remaining, now your adapter pays of-suck out the ink and add to your Cone cart!

For more details visit the printer forum on DPreview and the Inkjet Printer forum. The details are carefully spelled out. Do check out the new refill method 'from the top lefthand' side. This eliminates the to remove the carts for refiling--unless you choose to lift the printer almost vertically to refill thru the backside refill port--no really so hard. The goal is to limit the in & out insertion of the refillable carts-to prevent damage to the chip-printer contacts.

good luck irv weiner

BTW: Breathing Color canvas (Lyve, Crystalline) plus the paper media Vibrance Luster yield superb 3880 prints in Color & B&W.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:15 AM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

Thanks for the reply, Irv! I checked the Cone website and for the R3000, the refillable carts do indeed come with their own chips that are easily reset.

I appreciate the rec on the canvases too! It'll be an adventure experimenting with them.

-Collin

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:36 PM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another paper question... with a slight twist

I am very interested in the Cone inks personally. So far I have only used OEM inks on all the printers I have owned so far. I currently print on R3000 as well. The following thread disses non oem inks, specifically as it relates to longevity. Any personal experiences here?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1154092

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password