Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Whoa

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Whoa

Weekly Assignment 524: Fire hydrants... A local Leathercrafting / Cordwain, burnt down recently... Part of the canopy had the word "whoa" painted on it with an arrow pointing down... I tried to incorporate these into the image... Not sure this will be entered but wanted to get your opinions as to ways of improving composition, &PP... Thank you for taking a look... Jim

Image 2 is after adjusting as suggested...

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II    17mm    f/8.0    1/15s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Edited on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:59 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Whoa

Jim,

I like it.

I might crop some off the bottom (just above your watermark) to strengthen the hydrant in the comp a bit. Diggin' the arrow and an interesting bg beyond the hydrant alone.

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:37 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Whoa

Consider for the subject, the hydrant is perhaps too similar in brightness and contrast to pop from the background. I'd suggest selecting the hydrant and background separately and using exposure and gamma changes to give the hydrant better separation. Also a little selective layered blur for the background to simulate a wider taking aperture may help. A wee bit of sky retouching between the wires in the lower left sky would also be a plus. A tighter crop would also enhance the subject.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:18 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Whoa

RustyBug wrote:
Jim,

I like it.

I might crop some off the bottom (just above your watermark) to strengthen the hydrant in the comp a bit. Diggin' the arrow and an interesting bg beyond the hydrant alone.

Thanks Kent... I will play with some crops and see how they work...

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:26 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Whoa

AuntiPode wrote:
Consider for the subject, the hydrant is perhaps too similar in brightness and contrast to pop from the background. I'd suggest selecting the hydrant and background separately and using exposure and gamma changes to give the hydrant better separation. Also a little selective layered blur for the background to simulate a wider taking aperture may help. A wee bit of sky retouching between the wires in the lower left sky would also be a plus. A tighter crop would also enhance the subject.

Thank you Karen... I have seldom used gamma's but I will see how it works... I like what you did... I had applied a 5 pixel blur on the sky, but I will certainly try more... Jim

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Whoa

Good find. Should be a good entry into WA.
I agree with a bit more blur of the background.
I am not sure about further efforts to produce separation of the hydrant from the background. Both the brightness and sharpness are making it feel almost cut and pasted it to my eye, less than natural. On the other hand, it certainly makes a stronger statement.
My 2 cents.
Scott

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Whoa

+1 @ "cut & paste" look if you go too much separation. I think your second one is right on that threshold, but the bold "WHOA" helps hold it in place. Could dial it back a touch (maybe feather/fade the mask some), or leave it as is ... either way, you've strengthened it from the original.

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Whoa

oldrattler wrote:
Weekly Assignment 524: Fire hydrants... A local Leathercrafting / Cordwain, burnt down recently... Part of the canopy had the word "whoa" painted on it with an arrow pointing down... I tried to incorporate these into the image... Not sure this will be entered but wanted to get your opinions as to ways of improving composition, &PP... Thank you for taking a look... Jim

Image 2 is after adjusting as suggested...

Image 2 is much better.

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:28 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Whoa

sbeme wrote:
Good find. Should be a good entry into WA.
I agree with a bit more blur of the background.
I am not sure about further efforts to produce separation of the hydrant from the background. Both the brightness and sharpness are making it feel almost cut and pasted it to my eye, less than natural. On the other hand, it certainly makes a stronger statement.
My 2 cents.
Scott

Thank you Scott. I am going to reduce vibrace and enter the second image... Jim

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Whoa

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ "cut & paste" look if you go too much separation. I think your second one is right on that threshold, but the bold "WHOA" helps hold it in place. Could dial it back a touch (maybe feather/fade the mask some), or leave it as is ... either way, you've strengthened it from the original.

Thanks Kent... Maybe a reduction in vibrance or a overall 5 pixel blur would tone it down... Jim

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Whoa

ben egbert wrote:
Image 2 is much better.

Thanks Ben; I have been returning to this location for almost a year trying for "An image"... Finally found it... Jim

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:41 PM
robertjm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Whoa

I actually like #1 best. That's the one you eventually submitted, right? Had the hydrant been the only major part of the subject, the narrower vertical crop might work. Since the building NOT saved by the hydrant is part of the story (at least to me), it's important not to diminish it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:49 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Whoa

robertjm wrote:
I actually like #1 best. That's the one you eventually submitted, right? Had the hydrant been the only major part of the subject, the narrower vertical crop might work. Since the building NOT saved by the hydrant is part of the story (at least to me), it's important not to diminish it.

I agree, but compositionally the crop was better for the weekly assignment, fire hydrants... I felt from a documentary photo style the building expanded the story... For the assignment I felt the main focus had to be the hydrant... Thanks for the comments... Jim

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Whoa

Congratulations on the win !!!

Nov 01, 2012 at 05:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Whoa

RustyBug wrote: