Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

Diavolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

I'm looking to get some ND filters. I thought about it a couple years ago and not thought about it again. I don't want to break the bank but I also don't want to go super cheap and lose sharpness. Does anybody have any experience with the B+W variable ND filters? I'm thinking variable to save some money and they offer a 3-1000x variable one.

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:25 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #2 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

I've a suggestion for you. Jot down your questions and give 2filters a call. They will spend as much time with as needed to help. They also have very good prices on BW filters.
BW makes good stuff, there are others as well. Read up on them when you get a chance.
I suggest not skimping on filters as they can cause color shifts and IQ problems.
There are some less expensive ways to go as well, but their quality is not up to BW.
I'm not saying BW is theonly way to go, but it gives you a level to compare to when you look at others.
Hopoe this helps, this opinion is offered free, and that is about all it is worth.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:56 PM
jvincenc76

p.1 #3 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

Hi, I have 3 different B+W ND filters - 8x (3stops), 64x (6stops) and 1000x (10 stops) but only because I use smaller diameter (67mm) and I bought them in sale. If I needed bigger one I would go for 64x as it offers the most possibilities: you can change ISO and aperture to increase or decrease the effect of ND filter on exposure time. Also if you have CPL filter, you can use it, it has 1-2 stops. The only thing you can't do with it is to have long exposure times during daytime, when base exposure (ISO 100 F11 for example) is 1/125s. Then it takes 13 stops to get to 60s exposure. Have a look at my photo http://vincenc.zenfolio.com/p68933276/e435cbbd8 - 60s with 1000x and 8x filters (I use alt lens with adapter, therefore in exif you will see F5). Next two images in that gallery are BW versions of this one.

So in my opinion 2x and 4x filters are pretty useless, 8x filter can be simulated with 64x filter and ISO800 if you can live with quality loss, and 1000x is good only for daytime long exposures.

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Diavolo
• • •
p.1 #4 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

I would be doing a combination of daytime and night long exposures.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #5 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

I use both the B+W 6 and 10-stop filters and am generally satisfied. These do have a reddish color cast, but it depends on two general factors, in my experience- the length of the exposure, and the type of light source. With long exposures (over say, 10 seconds) on overcast days, especially early in the morning, the reddish cast is more evident, as compared to when the sun is out, even if the sun is not directly in the scene. Most, if not all the other brands of NDs also will have some color cast. Removing the reddish cast has been a challenge for me even with Photoshop.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:14 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

I would not recommend the variable-type circular ND's. On higher densities (and depending on your angle against the sun) you can get nasty dark X across your images. From what I've seen, the B+W ND110 does a good job and I wouldn't mind using it if I didn't already have the Lee big stopper. Its only drawback is that it's a hassle to take on or off since it's a screw on filter. You'd need to take it off to compose and put it on again to expose, which means you will be constantly fumbling with screwing it on, and you can drop and break it. Compare that to the Lee system where you simply attach and remove all in a second's notice.

That being said, I *really* recommend the Lee Big Stopper. Been using one for almost 3 years and I love it! If you get the chance to buy one (they are rare and getting expensive) the Big Stopper is the one to get. The Lee big stopper does render a magenta hue, but I found that using a Cokin 81EF (or any warm filter) will bring back the warmth. You can also use custom WB setting to counter it but I found that I get more lattitude by using the warming filter in addition to shooting RAW and custom WB.

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:20 PM
millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Not sure where to discuss this. (B+W ND Filters)

Id say go for a Hoya HMC NDX400, its a 9 stop and seems to have a bit less of the color cast issues some people see with the B+W 10 stop

If in the rare times 9 stops isn't enough, you can always stack a polarizer for 2-3 extra stops, which when talking long exposures, each added stop makes a huge difference and will be getting you into 4+ minute times which should be longer than you'd realistically be using often.

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password