Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

minatophase3
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

I have a friend that wants to borrow one of my 40D's for a night soccer game next week. The Rebel she has only goes to ISO 1600. She asked if she could borrow one of my 40Ds and whether or not it would be better than her old Rebel.

For those of you that have used a 40D at the higher ISO's can you let me know your thoughts? I only use my 40D's at ISO 100 as they are used for my school portrait shooting with strobes and they are on location with my photographers so I cannot grab them for several days to test out.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:11 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

They will do OK. Up to 1600 iso, it manages a decent file. However, at 3200 is suffers a fair bit, and any pushing the exposure in post will result in ugly messes IMO.

AF is not great, but will be better than the rebel.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

I haven't used one for years. I'm pretty sure that I sometimes took it to ISO 1600, but I preferred to use 800 as max. It really comes down to the lowest shutter speed that you can accept to eliminate motion blur. For varsity field sports, my normal lowest shutter speed was 1/400, but I would sometimes go to 1/320 sec. First thing to consider is to start underexposing a bit. You'll quickly lose background detail, but the players should be OK.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:25 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #4 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

Ok, good to know. It sounds like it will be better than her Rebel but not great.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:35 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

I used to shoot a 40D at ISO3200 all the time:
http://msalvetti.smugmug.com/Sports/2008-2009-Saugus-High-Hockey

But field sports are a lot different than an ice rink. The backgrounds are a lot darker, accentuating the noise.

If she's going to shoot jpg, have her set the in-camera noise reduction to standard. Higher kills the buffer, and really smears the details (Those hockey galleries are all jpg, Neutral picture style, Standard NR. Then Neat Image, curves, saturation bump, sharpen).

It should be better than her Rebel, but not sure ISO3200 is going to be enough either. I shot some HS football last week with my 7D, and I was at ISO12800, f/2.8, 1/400.

Mark

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:48 PM
rolette
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

DavidWEGS wrote:
They will do OK. Up to 1600 iso, it manages a decent file. However, at 3200 is suffers a fair bit, and any pushing the exposure in post will result in ugly messes IMO.

+1 to this, although I didn't have the NR capabilities that are available now in LR3/LR4. I suspect as long as you nail the exposure and don't need to crop much that current tools make ISO 3200 on the 40D much more reasonable these days.

Jay

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

While I never really liked my 40D @3200 and H it's still better than having to shoot @1600 and being forced into half (or more) the shutter speed. A noisy shot beats a blurred one any day :

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:07 PM
Rich Davis

p.1 #8 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

Have shot night field games with the 40D, Mark 3 and now the Mark 4.
Many variables. Glass? F2.8, or slower? What's the end use? Print, print size, online etc?
Assuming a higher end use 8x10 Print at 300 dpi you'll be disappointed even with fast glass on the 40D and the Mark3. Images on line look better- 72 dpi required at small sizes.n camera noise reduction and PP noise reduction will not get you there unless you opt out for BW. More variables: speed of players, distance to players, cropping, field lighting, use of a monopod etc. With slower players you can back off a tad on shutter speed. Even the color of the uniforms is a factor. I shoot dance in very low light and football, and other night field sports without flash. These venues require $$$ equipment, depending on your end use. If she can use a flash for a few shots, that can help.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:30 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #9 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

Loan her a better lens. She's probably using f/5.6 glass. At f/2.8 or f/2, she may not need ISO 3200.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:43 PM
elluDe
• • •
p.1 #10 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

40D can shoot just fine at 1600 iso. If 1600 iso can give you a shutter speed of about 500s at f2.8 (typical 'not very good' floodlighting at night soccer games) there's no reason you can't get good quality pics.

The main thing is a capable lens - at least a 70-200 f2.8, a 300 f2.8 better again.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #11 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

She has a Canon 70-200 2.8 lens so and I believe the girls are either in middle school or high school, so the pace of the game should be rather quick. I believe the lighting will be better than a typical HS stadium as it is the place where the lady Sounders play, though still not professional staidum quality.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

minatophase3 wrote:
She has a Canon 70-200 2.8 lens so and I believe the girls are either in middle school or high school, so the pace of the game should be rather quick. I believe the lighting will be better than a typical HS stadium as it is the place where the lady Sounders play, though still not professional staidum quality.

Sounds good. OTOH, some stadiums and rinks don't always turn on all of their lights. It's a 'green' thing.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Trevor Sowers
• •
p.1 #13 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

I have used my 40D at 3200 a lot for ice performances with spotlights. It does OK as long as you get the exposure right, you don't want to underexpose and then need to try to lighten in post. I always shot RAW and used Aperture 3 for the conversions and they went well.

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:25 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

Rich Davis wrote:
Have shot night field games with the 40D, Mark 3 and now the Mark 4.
Many variables. Glass? F2.8, or slower? What's the end use? Print, print size, online etc?
Assuming a higher end use 8x10 Print at 300 dpi you'll be disappointed even with fast glass on the 40D and the Mark3. Images on line look better- 72 dpi required at small sizes.n camera noise reduction and PP noise reduction will not get you there unless you opt out for BW. More variables: speed of players, distance to players, cropping, field lighting, use of a monopod etc. With slower players
...Show more

If you are getting bad 8x10 prints w/1D3 and fast glass, you are either doing something wrong or shooting in a coffin. I get great prints at twice that size with my Mk3/300/2.8is combo...

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:21 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

Tim, you are a brave and I hope INSURED man if you are loaning equipment to friends.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:23 AM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #16 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

sivrajbm wrote:
Tim, you are a brave and I hope INSURED man if you are loaning equipment to friends.

It's only a 40D, so the value is pretty small and it is insured as well. She wanted to borrow my new 5D III but that one makes me nervous, even thought it is insured as well.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM
kpjsy

p.1 #17 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

Had a 40D. High ISO isn't that great. Well... it was at the time, but things go downhill after ISO 800-1000 ish I say. 1600 was okay.

Oct 25, 2012 at 08:08 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #18 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

Update - I let her borrow the 40D. Met her at a high school evening soccer game at a different field where I would say the lighting was typical. I had my 5D III with me. In order to get 1/320 @ 2.8 the ISO was around 8,000 to 10,000. So, unless the lighting is quite a bit better where she will be shooting I don't think the 40D will work for her.

Oct 25, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · 40D at High ISO for Sports

I never strayed past ISO 1600 on 40D. Back then Chroma noise was a real Canon bugbear.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password