Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

Roger Ramjet
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

Just won a 1D Mark IV on eBay. Put in a bid I didn't think would win considering the condition of the camera, but won! Just got it and charged up the (brand new, never opened) battery and took some test shots through a 100mm f/2.8 macro. Twice the pixel count is certainly a big jump. Think I'll need new (larger) CF cards The previous owner had a 1D3 prior to this camera and used those accessories, so everything except the body itself is brand new.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to give it a better workout tomorrow with my 300mm f/2.8 II with and without the 2XIII. I have a series of shots I took with my 1D2 across the lake behind my house that I'll duplicate as closely as possible. Should be an interesting comparison.

Also want to work with the AI Servo auto focus to see what settings will work best for me when I shoot my sport (slalom water-skiing). It's always something of a challenge as the skier is accelerating, decelerating, and changing directions constantly.

Any tips or insights on the jump from the 2 to the 4 would be welcomed!

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:50 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

You'll be VERY happy with the upgrade. I shoot radio control events & just used pretty much the same settings I had been using on both my 1D2n & 1Ds2, but the auto ISO has been very handy at times.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:02 AM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

You are going to love the 1DIV - 16.MP is the perfect resolution, the JPEGs out of the camera are some of the best you will see, two-stop high ISO advantage, terrific metering , and classic 1-series build and controls. I love mine! Enjoy!!

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:57 AM
ghozer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

The 1DIV is the best camera I've ever owned. I love it and can't imagine selling it. Ever.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Just won a 1D Mark IV on eBay. Put in a bid I didn't think would win considering the condition of the camera, but won! Just got it and charged up the (brand new, never opened) battery and took some test shots through a 100mm f/2.8 macro. Twice the pixel count is certainly a big jump. Think I'll need new (larger) CF cards The previous owner had a 1D3 prior to this camera and used those accessories, so everything except the body itself is brand new.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to give it a better workout tomorrow with
...Show more

Remember to use a higher shutter speed than with the 1D II; it'll show misfocus and blur due to movement more easily. 1D II was very low pixel density and quite forgiving.

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:10 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

Very good point by Pixel Perfect.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

You will not believe the battery. Enjoy

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Roger Ramjet
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D MK2N to 1D MK4

Pixel Perfect, great tip and makes perfect (no pun intended) sense!

Thanks everyone so far for the positive comments. I'm stoked to have gotten this body! I don't really want to give up the 1.3 crop personally and I wonder how many pro sports shooters are at least a bit unhappy that Canon has chosen to merge the 1D bodies to full frame only...

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password