Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

dnadrifter
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I currently have a 40D and would like to upgrade, but am really having a hard time deciding which direction to go or whether to just hold off for a bit more. My Kit includes, 40D, 24-105, 10-22, 70-200 f4, 50, f1.8 I have a general idea of what the various upgrades would provide me, but don't have as much knowledge as many on this board. So I would really like to get the opinions of those here that know these potential cameras better than I.

Some Background:

I enjoy landscape photography, but it has been awhile since I did a lot of it. I have never enlarged anything huge so megapixels aren't my primary concern. One of the reasons I would like to upgrade and also the reason I don't do as much landscape anymore is that we have a 3 year old. Most of my photography now is family stuff, but I really enjoy getting very nice shots of our son. So mostly I am looking for something that has:

- Better AF for chasing him around the yard.

- Maybe something that has a bit better auto exposure control. I have found the 40D to be fooled often with shadows, etc. (Yes, I can exposure compensate or use manual, but by the time I do our son has typically moved off to another location where exposure is different.)

- Better high iso performance. It would be really nice to be able to easily push iso to 1600+ rather than the 800 I currently do with the 40D indoors.

I have always wanted to go full frame, but AF on the 5DII seems to be its limiting attribute and that is one of the primary reason for the upgrades. I'd rather not spend the $$ on a 5DIII given what I need the camera for. Maybe the 6D would be an option for me given my needs?....obviously no real world data yet. It also scares me a little that it is more compact. I have big hands and even the 60D doesn't feel that great.

I have also just thought maybe I should just get a 7D. They are fairly inexpensive now and probably do most of what I want (noise doesn't seem to be as well controlled as say the 5DII or 5DII). Then I think, yeah but it is already 2-3 years old and isn't full frame.

I was hoping the 5DIII was going to be closer to a full frame 7D at about $2500...oh well.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I think your choices are...

650d. Decent sensor and a fair few f2.8 focus points
7D. decent sensor, fast fps, best crop focus system
6D. Probably better than 5d2 high ISO, probably decent focus system.

7D is a big step up in IQ over the 40D IMO especially in noise, ergonomics and focus.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I'd be tempted by a 1D III. The 7D is probably the next best choice, but don't expect more than a half-stop better noise relative to your 40D.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

Since you like FF and AF seems somehow important compromise with price and features --> 6D

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

alexdi wrote:
I'd be tempted by a 1D III. The 7D is probably the next best choice, but don't expect more than a half-stop better noise relative to your 40D.

+1. After reading your post, I immediately began to think a 1diii would be a great upgrade for your stated needs.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I used a 40d and then purchased a 7d for the same reasons you stated for wanting to upgrade. While the 7d was a very nice upgrade ergonomically, I would not do it again. The 7d was felt really good in hand and the screen was a welcomed upgrade. I was never really in love with the images from the 7d. At the time Canon didn't offer what I wanted in terms of full frame and good focus system, so I went with a D3s. When the 5d3 was released I decided it was what I wanted from Canon. I love Canon lens options and the files sooc.
Having used the 5d3 now I would skip the 7d and either pick up a 5d3 or try a 1d3. I also have a 40d now as a backup and for my wife to use. Our primary subjects are my 4 year old and 2 month old.
Save your money and wait for a 5d3 in your price range, if you can wait.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

Considering that you have the 24-105 and nothing longer than 200 I would suggest either a 5D2 or wait for the 6D. In other words, full frame. The center focus point on the 5D2 is fine and the 6 assist points aid AI focus for following motion. Outer focus point complaints seem to come from users of very fast wide primes. The 6D may be an improvement but you'll have to wait and see.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

Hmm I dont find the 7d to be that far behind the 5d2 to be honest, not enough that anyone on here would be able to pic in a blind comparison.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

5d2 autofocus SUCKS compared to a 7D. 5d2 ergonomics and build is also much poorer.

5d2 is a one trick pony vs the 7d. Its trick is a decent one for sure but still a one trick pony.

<- and I own a 5d2.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

Honestly, the 7D is a whole lot of camera for the price. The new 6D also offers great value. The real choice for you is FF or CS. You answer that and you'll know which camera to buy.
Note that your Canon 10-22 is an EF-S lens and therefore won't work on the 6D.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

^ or on the 1DIII which is a huge lump just to shoot your kids and a few landscape snaps, all of which a 650d could deal with.

probably better off adding a flash to the 40d than anything else.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:07 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I had a 40D, and eventually bought a 5DMkII when it came down in price, I bought in at $2100.00
I have freakin' loved it!
40D got NO use after 5DMkII purchase, mute point, 40D was stolen couple of months ago.
PSST, I have NO issues with AF.
PSST, you can crop 5DMkII images big time!

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:14 AM
Jason Lang
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

buggz2k wrote:
I had a 40D, and eventually bought a 5DMkII when it came down in price, I bought in at $2100.00
I have freakin' loved it!
40D got NO use after 5DMkII purchase, mute point, 40D was stolen couple of months ago.
PSST, I have NO issues with AF.
PSST, you can crop 5DMkII images big time!

^^

Same here. Just dumped the 40D in favor of the 5DMkII. I'm blown away by the IQ difference and haven't had any AF issues. I shoot with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS and 24-105 f/4L IS. For the price of a used 5DMkII, it's hard to pass up if it is in your price range. Full frame is a hell of a trick for this "one trick pony".

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:18 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I'd like the OP to post some photos that he thinks are lacking , easier to see what would be more appropriate in those situations.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:19 AM
Trevor Sowers
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I own a 5D MKII and a 40D for my backup camera.

Centre point on 5D MKII is better than the 40D and it is just about perfect.

Outer points are better on the 40D.

Using a speedlite on the hotshoe for it's AF assist makes the outer points on the 5D MKII work in any low light!! If you don't want the speedlite to fire just disable it but leave it turned on for the AF assist.

AF speed is faster on the 40D but for most situations other than sports and flying birds the 5D MKII AF speed is fine.

I'm sure the 6D is worth checking out as well!

A friend of mine who has a 7D and a 5D MKII swears that although the 7D AF is definitely better for action it is actually less accurate with the centre point than the MKII.....just something to think about.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:27 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

I found all the points on my 7D fast and accurate and loved the spot AF mode and the LCD viewfinder.

Every time I've tried to use an of centre point on the 5d2 its let me down. Takes me back to the 350d, and the look of the viewfinder too.

I'm not saying the 5d2 is a bad camera, its not, it has some great advantages and will seem like (mostly) an upgrade from a 40d. Its just the 7D or something else ( 650d and a flash, a 24L , whatever) could be a more appropriate upgrade.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:30 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

D600, make the switch now before you get trapped like a lot of us.

Last resort if you stay Canon I don't even know why you would think of a 6D. For close to 2K you can have a 7D and 1DSII. Two bodies are always better than one IMO. Tele on the 7D, prime or 24-105 on the FF. Done.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:36 AM
beautox

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

Considering that you have the 24-105 and nothing longer than 200 I would suggest either a 5D2 or wait for the 6D. In other words, full frame

I don't get this. Given that OP currently has (full frame equivalent) coverage from 16mm to 320mm, you are saying that it's somehow logical to go full frame and restrict his coverage to 24-200mm

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:42 AM
dnadrifter
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I really appreciate it!

I really don't want the size of a 1DIII. Just too big for what I do. I would also rather buy new.

RogerC11 wrote:
+1. After reading your post, I immediately began to think a 1diii would be a great upgrade for your stated needs.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:16 AM
dnadrifter
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Like to upgrade from 40D. Need advice please.

Peacekpr wrote:
Honestly, the 7D is a whole lot of camera for the price. The new 6D also offers great value. The real choice for you is FF or CS. You answer that and you'll know which camera to buy.
Note that your Canon 10-22 is an EF-S lens and therefore won't work on the 6D.

If I go full frame, I would likely sell the 10-22 and pick up a 17-40.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:18 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password