Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 600mm II replacement foot

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600mm II replacement foot

For those who have a 600mm II already. Which arca swiss-compatible lens foot did you go for? Ideally something that works well with a Mongoose M-3.6.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600mm II replacement foot

I went for the RRS. Seemed to be the most popular one in other threads and I've always been happy with my other RRS plates and tripod. But I don't have the foot nor the lens yet. The lens is being delivered tomorrow and the foot just left RRS yesterday so probably won't see it till next week.

How do you like the Mongoose? I know that Arthur Morris swears by it but it doesn't seem to be very popular in the forums. I've been looking at a gimbal setup but haven't decided on what to get yet.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600mm II replacement foot

I have RRS MkII special, but I think I may switch to a low profile 4th Gen Design replacement foot.

Most of my use is handheld, some of it is a rigid monopod mount, and rarely I use it on my tripod (Wimberley II gimbal).

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:18 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 600mm II replacement foot

Hey Peter, have you checked if the 600II lens with a TC and a 1 series body will balance on your Wimberley? RRS has a disclaimer that it may not but I emailed them and they said they have only done testing on the 500II and not the 600II.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:21 AM
DRBPHOTO

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 600mm II replacement foot

I use the Kirk foot with the new non slip coating. Balances well with the Wimberly with or without converters. Same foot fits the 400 2.8II and the 600 f4II.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:44 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 600mm II replacement foot

arbitrage wrote:
Hey Peter, have you checked if the 600II lens with a TC and a 1 series body will balance on your Wimberley? RRS has a disclaimer that it may not but I emailed them and they said they have only done testing on the 500II and not the 600II.

Geoff, I haven't done that yet. You see, I've had only two lenses which have seen some noteworthy tripod use.....400 f/2.8 IS MkI and 800L. Now since the former is gone, it is basically down to 800L. I do not plan to use the 600 with the 1.4xTC much, if at all.
However, I should do some testing of that combo soon hopefully.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dolina
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 600mm II replacement foot

Geoff,

The Mongoose M-3.6 is relatively new to the Wimberley WH-200 and it being a side mount gimbal (compared to a bottom mount) makes it less desirable to have. The Mongoose is very solid kit and if you are comfortable using a side mount rewards you with a lighter gimbal head.

The WH-200's 2.30 lb vs the M-3.6's 1.5 lbs. Even with the weight reduction introduced of the version 2 super teles and lightness of carbon fiber we are always looking for a way to cut the weight of our setups.

I am using the very same RRS foot recommended for the 600mm II with my 400/2.8 IS II. My concern with the foot is that it was a tad too tall in profile for my taste but at the time I had little choice for alternatives.

I have a 4th Gen Design replacement foot on my 800mm and I am glad a I bought one as there is just enough clearance to use it as a handle. This feature is not universal to all their replacement foots as the one for the version 1 500mm couldnt be used as a handle. I am unsure whether the 4th Gen Design can be attached to the 600mm II and allow it to have the proper balance when attached with a double grip body and extender.

DRBPHOTO how do you like it with your 600mm II? I have the older foot without the non-slip coating on the version 1 500mm.

If I may beg the indulgence of everyone if you could post photos of your lens with the replacement foot attached? It would greatly help in research.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:27 AM
DRBPHOTO

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 600mm II replacement foot

I like it a lot especially with the coating. I used a low profile foot on my old 600 but this is much easier to grab and get onto my window bag when I shoot from a vehicle. I am not as young or as strong as I once was. I need a handle I can get my fingers around. I do shoot a lot from a mono pod also and have never found myself missing the low profile foot.

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:32 AM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 600mm II replacement foot

What camera are you using? The RRS foot on my 500II with 1.4x convertor and a 7D is getting close to running out of foot. 7/8th inch from the back of the dovetail to the back of the Wimberley clamp.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:51 AM
Canon Rumors
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 600mm II replacement foot

I have a Jobu Designs foot on mine.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 600mm II replacement foot

Craig could ya take a photo of your 600 with the jobu attached?

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password