Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

Pablosammy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

Well, I've now got a Cokin circular polariser, and managed to get hold of a Kaesemann B&W MRC one for reasonable money. Well, wow... the polarising effect from the B&W must be double what the Cokin is. I'd assumed the Cokin one was decent quality, but there is no comparison at all!

Did I have a duff Cokin, or is this expected?

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:18 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

Cokin is not up to the BW stuff, there is no doubt. You will get less distortion as well.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:37 PM
kenbennedy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

They can be quite different, as you found. Please refer to the linked test/article if you are interested.

http://www.lenstip.com/115.3-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Test_procedure.html

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:43 PM
Pablosammy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

Teaches me for skimping on filters! Very interesting read, cheers.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lsutigerfan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

I am waiting on my B + W 77mm KSM X-PRO CPOL for $160! I did NOT want to pay that, but my only other consideration was the Marumi 77mm CPOL. It was much cheaper, but I didn't think the build quality would be QUITE AS GOOD as the B+ W. I usually skimp on filters but I had to get the B + W after how easy its supposed to be in cleaning and no vignetting -- supposedly. We'll see. The Marumi has reports of "sticking" to lens mounts because profile is way to thin.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:03 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

I used the Cokin sprocketed filter in a Cokin holder for several years before moving to a threaded B+W. I had no compliant about the polarization performance of the Cokin, even after using the B+W. The big difference, and the reason I made the change, is that the Cokin was very prone to flare and reflections from the back surface. the B+W is a big improvement in that respect. So, if you were using the same Cokin as I was, your observations surprise me.

Dave

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:30 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Circular Polarisers - how different can they be?!

3iron wrote:
Cokin is not up to the BW stuff, there is no doubt. You will get less distortion as well.

Distortion? How do you mean?

Dave

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:31 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password