Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

Scott Mosher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

I've only had one time when I haven't been paid at the end of the night. Well, now that I think about it there is one photographer near by I've worked with a fair amount and lives close to and he pays me when I bring the cards over a couple days after the wedding.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:59 PM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

1. I pay either at start of day when we meet up, or at the end, IN CASH
2. Images from 2nd are downloaded into a ColorSpace0

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:56 PM
photodudeny1
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

I am a much more experienced business owner than photographer so I will share some wisdom.

It seems clear that the primary is ducking you. I would leave the following message;

"If I do not hear from you in the next 48 hours, I will be filing suit against you in small claims court. In addition to the filing and court fees that will be added to the judgement if I am successful, I also intend to subpeona the bride and groom as witnesses to testify at the hearing. I'm sure that will go over big with them. I look forward to hearing from you."

If you don't hear back - follow through. Small claims court is generally user friendly. The reputation you don't want is being willing to be taken advantage of.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM
mccallmedia
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

photodudeny1 wrote:
I am a much more experienced business owner than photographer so I will share some wisdom.

It seems clear that the primary is ducking you. I would leave the following message;

"If I do not hear from you in the next 48 hours, I will be filing suit against you in small claims court. In addition to the filing and court fees that will be added to the judgement if I am successful, I also intend to subpeona the bride and groom as witnesses to testify at the hearing. I'm sure that will go over big with them. I look forward to
...Show more

Don't you end up having to foot the court fees in small claims court though, regardless if you win your case? That's where these situations involving only a couple hundred dollars suck, because it ends up not really being worth your while after you pay the court fees. Maybe I'm wrong here?

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

Legal action over $80 seems a bit extreme. While the situation is annoying, it's hardly devastating. Chalk it up as a lesson learned for the future. I think most photog communities are small, and burning bridges in networking can have far reaching effects. Sorry if it's blunt, just my .02

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:18 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

His line about "standard practice" is nonsense. It may have been his expectation and his typical practice, but it's not standard practice across the industry. Like most others here, I pay my seconds the day of the gig, and when I second, I typically expect to be paid at that time, as well. There's nothing left for the second to do after that point, so there's nothing on which payment depends (unless file delivery takes place later, which as you experienced increases risk and hassle).

Having said that, since you did handle file transfer after the fact, waiting until he was satisfied he had the files was reasonable. Having received the files, I suppose he might simply not have gotten around to looking them over to be sure he actually had them.

Going nuclear at day 12 was probably unnecessary (I'd be perplexed and annoyed, but I'd probably have waited another week or two before sending lawyer letters), but still I don't think it was completely outrageous. He was unprofessional in his communication. Sorry you had that experience. I don't think you need to worry about being finished in this business as a result.

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jefferies1
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

My experience has been if they don't return a email or call then you MUST move into collection mode or forget ever getting paid. You did the right thing. Guy is just trying to make up excuses for his lack of follow through. Like i told one of my clients who said they would never hire me again...good, it saves me the trouble of turning you down. You don't need that kind of relationship. As for blacklisting you. Really doubt he has any connections around town. He hired a stranger to 2nd shoot. Means he has few real options.

Oct 20, 2012 at 09:50 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

Ian Ivey wrote:
Going nuclear at day 12 was probably unnecessary (I'd be perplexed and annoyed, but I'd probably have waited another week or two before sending lawyer letters), but still I don't think it was completely outrageous.

Where'd you read that? I read this was well over two weeks.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Andrew Villa
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

I usually get paid/ pay my second shooters day of. If I don't it's usually within the week.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

Great info for someone only interested in being a second shooter (me!). I'm interested in learning, but no desire to become primary.

Thanks for the info!

Bruce

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Communication With Your 2nd photographer

First of all, 12 days is too long to not return a call
Second, 12 days is way too short to threaten legal action
Third, those who threaten to "ruin you" are rarely in a position to do so.

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password