Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cutting CF Tripod

godfather
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Cutting CF Tripod

Just wondering what the best method for cutting a gitzo CF center post would be. I'm looking to reduce weight and make it more useful for macro work. I'm thinking a new metal cutting hack saw blade and tape the post? Electrical tape or duct tape? Should I sand around the edges after I cut it or put a think cover of adhesive around the edge?

Oct 18, 2012 at 01:54 PM
lou f
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Cutting CF Tripod

hacksaws are perfect for cutting cf.

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:27 PM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Cutting CF Tripod

If you want to use a hacksaw, use one with 32-teeth/inch, rather than the standard 18-teeth/inch. Dremel also makes small diamond cut-off wheels if you have one of their rotary cutters.

I cut my center column with a ceramic tile cutting blade in my power miter saw. I wrapped the tubing with a few layers of masking tape, and used very light pressure.

I used JB Weld epoxy to re-glue the original Gitzo cap (with the bag hook) on the cut column.

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

utmoab

p.1 #4 · Cutting CF Tripod

I've been into mountain biking for many years and have done a good amount of carbon fiber cutting (handlebars, steerer tubes, seatpost,....)
The carbon fibers used to make tubes such as monopods are usually so strongely bonded together that you don't need to tape the part you want to cut. Fo example it is not like CF archery arrows where all the fibers will "open up" when you start cutting.

However, once cut, you will have to protecty the cutted part to avoid damaging the resin that bond the fibers together. For the side, electric tape will do just fine. If you plan to apply some weight on the cutted section, you could plug a rubber stopper inside the tubes.

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Cutting CF Tripod

Take it to a local archery shop / sporting goods store and have it cut with a high speed CF arrow cutter... That is what I did and it saved me a lot of worry...

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:57 PM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #6 · Cutting CF Tripod

Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to put the threaded insert back inside the end of the tube...looks like JB weld is the way to go.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password