Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

Has anyone used the square polarizer that Lee Filters makes? I am guessing that you can turn it 90 degrees in the holder to increase or decrease the polarization. There would be no fine adjusting. Although I could rotate the filter holder, I still want to use a grad in it. So the polarization would be full or partial depending on how the square polarizer is placed in the holder?

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:22 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

Jim, I used a Lee square linear polarizer, before I returned it. (Nothing wrong with the PL; I was experimenting with cross-polarization for variable neutral density. Didn't work out). The quality of the filter was, as expected fine, and I didn't see any color issues when it was used alone. If you want to use only a conventional filter holder but don't want to rotate it, then you can, as you suggest, insert it at 90 degrees. That may or may not result in a choice between maximum or minimum polarization; it depends on what the optimum angle would be for the particular items in the scene. If you are only concerned with darkening the sky, then I think (but not sure; maybe someone can verify) that the polarization axis of the filter may be designed to maximize polarization with the filter upright (square to the horizon). But for reduction in reflections etc. on other objects, the optimum angle may not be square.

Lee does make a supplemental filter holder for the polarizer that mounts on the front of the normal holder, and allows for independent rotation. I don't have any experience with it, but that would allows you to both use a grad in a fixed position, and rotate the the PL for the desired effect.

Or you could use a threaded polarizer on the front of the lens, and mount the filter holder to that. That's what I do, and I'll admit it can be a little fiddly to attach the holder to the polarizer and then rotate each separately for the desired effect. But it allows me to use a B+W polarizer that I'm very happy with, and which I use alone (without any square filter) the majority of the time.

Dave

Oct 18, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Chris Moy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

Hey Jim! I use Lee's square polarizer. Have no issues with only being able to rotate it 90 degrees. Works great! You could rotate the holder and filter to get the exact effect but not if you want to also use GNDs. Also, there's been some reports of the polarizer slipping out of the holder and crashing down on the ground. It almost happened to me just a few days ago while on vacation. Lucky I noticed before the filter fell out of the holder.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:42 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

dsjtecserv wrote:
Jim, I used a Lee square linear polarizer, before I returned it. (Nothing wrong with the PL; I was experimenting with cross-polarization for variable neutral density. Didn't work out). The quality of the filter was, as expected fine, and I didn't see any color issues when it was used alone. If you want to use only a conventional filter holder but don't want to rotate it, then you can, as you suggest, insert it at 90 degrees. That may or may not result in a choice between maximum or minimum polarization; it depends on what the optimum angle would be
...Show more

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that info. None of my slim filters would allow me to screw the Lee Filter holder on, but perhaps I should get one. Though as you say, I can imagine, it could be a bit fiddly to get it right too.

Jim

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:39 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

Chris Moy wrote:
Hey Jim! I use Lee's square polarizer. Have no issues with only being able to rotate it 90 degrees. Works great! You could rotate the holder and filter to get the exact effect but not if you want to also use GNDs. Also, there's been some reports of the polarizer slipping out of the holder and crashing down on the ground. It almost happened to me just a few days ago while on vacation. Lucky I noticed before the filter fell out of the holder.

Thanks for the info Chris, not something I am going to rush into, but the info does really help as this is an issue I would like to resolve to be able to polarize and use the Lee Filter holder for grads.

Jim

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:40 PM
Chris Moy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

The square polarizer has been working fine for me. I don't mind that I can only rotate the the polarizer 90 degrees. So far so good If you want to fine tune it with GND's you'll run into problems

JimFox wrote:
Thanks for the info Chris, not something I am going to rush into, but the info does really help as this is an issue I would like to resolve to be able to polarize and use the Lee Filter holder for grads.

Jim

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

Jim, the relatively new B+W XS Pro polarizer is quite slim yet has front threads. I took a chance on it and found that my (Cokin) rings thread on to it quite nicely and it avoids vignetting even with 17-40 at 17 mm. Pricey, as with all B+W, but it works for me.

I have found I can jab my finger against the polarizer rings, with a fingernail on the outer one, to hold it from rotating while I thread the filter holder ring on. The hard part is coordinating the rotation of the polarizer with the orientation of the filter holder. But it can be done!

Dave

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

I have a B+W 105mm CPL that I use with the front mount ring. What's the benefit of square polarizer?

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM
lsutigerfan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

No benefit of square polarizer, it's just a different option than using the LEE 105mm circular polarizer attachment (round) that attaches to FRONT of the filter holder. Glad someone mentioned the xs-pro that has front threads...it's the $160 purchase I'm eagerly awaiting. I assume the OP didn't want the 105mm (yikes!) round filter adapter for his square system. Lastly, wouldnt it be a linear polarizer in rectangular form?? Just curious

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:09 AM
Garrick L
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

Hi Jim,

I don't have the Lee square polarizer, but I do have both the Cavision 6"X 6" square Linear and Circular Polarizers that I use in the Lee SW-150 adaptor that allows polarizing the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 I purchased the Linear one first and then the circular one. I prefer the circular because the Lee adaptor rotates at the twist and loosening of a little knob. My point being, if you have the choice of a linear or circular in the square version of the Lee, I would suggest the circular.

Cheers,

Garrick Liddell Photography
www.garrickliddellphotography.com

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:14 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lee Filters Square Polarizer

lsutigerfan:

Linear and circular polarizers aren't referring to the shape of the physical polarizer, but rather to the type of polarization used. A circular polarizer is just a linear polarizer, backed by a "quarter-wave plate". Linearly-polarized light is passed by the linear polarizer, and then converted to circularly polarized light by the quarter-wave plate, so that metering and focus functions of the camera are not affected. So a square piece of plastic or glass could be either a linear or circular polarizer.

Dave

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password