Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · CF cards + salt water = panic

so I just shot a wedding in Florida. They day before the wedding I did trash the dress session (with a different dress) and rehearsal dinner. To make a long story short, I got my entire wallet of cards (2 card full and 6 cards blank) wet in salt water. I let them sit in the sun for a bit to let it dry. Then I shoot rehearsal dinner, one camera was full, changed card... card error.. changed card .. error... on all cards! So I have no cards left. Luckily I still have 300 shots left on one camera's card so I just shoot with one camera and try to keep my composure because I dont want them to get worried. At this point I thought I lost 2 whole cards and all of my blank cards and I have to shoot again tomorrow for the wedding. Went back to the hotel, filled a glass full of fresh water, submerged all the cards in there and shake it around for 1 minute, dry, hair dryer (from far), let it sit over night, go to best buy and buy a couple of overpriced 16 gb cards, shot the wedding.

I went back home... all the cards are readable. No data is lost... I'm happy. Whew!

Lesson learned, getting your cards wet is fine. Just make sure you dry it first or it wont work. If it is salt water, better rinse it with fresh water first before you dry it. Now I need a stiff drink! Here are a few pics.

for

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:41 PM
JR PhotoNY

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Wow nice save!

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:03 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #3 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Damn, close call! Last shot is HILARIOUS!

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:03 PM
TTee

p.1 #4 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Nice save on the salted cards! Nice work as always but your third image is going down as a true favorite.

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:28 PM
playerofwar
• •
p.1 #5 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Nice shots, what cards did you use? My sandisk extreme pro sd-cards have endured the elements and they are still alive and kicking . Even heat (80C+) was no problem! (one of my older ones failed under such circumstances)

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:30 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · CF cards + salt water = panic

playerofwar wrote:
Nice shots, what cards did you use? My sandisk extreme pro sd-cards have endured the elements and they are still alive and kicking . Even heat (80C+) was no problem! (one of my older ones failed under such circumstances)

I have sandisk and transcend. I am pretty sure it is not about the brand. This is CF cards so it has holes that would retain water and moisture. With SD cards, I am pretty sure you could have wiped it and it will still work. CF is totally different.

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · CF cards + salt water = panic

I always have a Tupperware container of rice in the house for emergencies.

#2 & 3 rock. Where'd you shoot in FL?

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:26 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #8 · CF cards + salt water = panic

La Playa Hotel in Naples.

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

awad
• •
p.1 #9 · CF cards + salt water = panic

nice save. cool under pressure.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #10 · CF cards + salt water = panic

I would never of had the balls to rinse them with fresh water...WOW!...great save. Just for future reference for those last minute best buy/sandisk extreme runs- Best Buy price matches amazon.com if the item is sold by Amazon. I think BB sells the 16gb sandisk extreme for $99 and Amazon generally sells it for $60. Decent savings and of course that's for any item at BB.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:46 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #11 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Geez CF cards are tough. I've read of them surviving the washing machine and being dropped from large heights, but salt water kills anything electronic - amazing that they survived, and great that you managed to recover everything

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:44 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #12 · CF cards + salt water = panic

I'd be surprised if you don't start seeing issues with these cards eventually. I would plan on replacing them sooner than later. You might also think about a way to do a cleaning of the contact pins in your camera. Salt is really nasty and any little bit has the potential to be corrosive.

As a side note...I'm one of those who has washed a card. That was a couple years ago and it still works fine but between the capacity and the lingering doubt I new use it for anything important.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · CF cards + salt water = panic

rinsing in fresh water is fine... most good cards are very very resilient and will hold up well to getting wet in both fresh and salt water.
nice job down there Robin

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:27 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #14 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Nice save Robin! I would have assumed the cards would be toast and therefore would have started managing expectations with the clients, perhaps with the intention to redo some critical shots using any dry cards (especially since this was a destination shoot). Though, I certainly hear your point about preventing the clients from panicing! It's good to know that these cards can actually sustain some water damage.

I'm not sure what type of memory card wallet you use, but we use these waterproof wallets from Amazon that can fit 4 CF cards. Our process is to have the cards facing up when they're empty, and facing down if they're full.

-Lincoln

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #15 · CF cards + salt water = panic

Another trick for drying just about anything in water - get a bottle of PURE alcohol (aka Everclear) and after your water rinse in fresh water, rinse in alcohol! It displaces the water, and evaporates a LOT faster

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password