Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

James Cripps
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Received an email from Canon today about the firmware update and it says:

"Changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
1. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8 (f/5.6 without the firmware update).
* Please see the "Lenses and Usable AF points" section of the revised instruction manual for more detail on the lens & camera combinations."

Is it only the center point which can AF at f/8?? :S

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:53 PM
pompo
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

I think is the center point of when you select the expanded type so the cluster of 5 can be anywhere and the middle ones focuses at f8 ...Thats what I though I read it does

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:56 PM
James Cripps
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Just downloaded the updated user manual from Canon and it is confirmed. Only the center point can be used in these circumstances.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Installed it on mine, and I'm happy to see the little red boxes back Thank you Canon!

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:58 PM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Will Patterson wrote:
Installed it on mine, and I'm happy to see the little red boxes back Thank you Canon!

Cool! Do they stay red or just red on half press? If only on half press, can you see them at all otherwise?

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:28 PM
rgold1963
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Did anyone try autofocusing at f/8? If so, what are the initial impressions on speed/accuracy? To me, this was the biggest 'plus' of this update.

Just tried it with the 400DO and 2XIII. Definitely slower to AF with the 2XII on but that is pretty typical. AF accuracy was great though and I am happy to have f/8 AF ability once again. That was the only thing I missed about the MKIV when moving to the 1Dx.

Ron

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

MSC wrote:
Cool! Do they stay red or just red on half press? If only on half press, can you see them at all otherwise?

They flash whenever you half press the shutter, they're not on all the time which is what I like. Show me the AF point then go away so I get a nice clear view, but I still know where the AF point is because it was just there.

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:59 PM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Will Patterson wrote:
They flash whenever you half press the shutter, they're not on all the time which is what I like. Show me the AF point then go away so I get a nice clear view, but I still know where the AF point is because it was just there.

Got it, thanks!

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:03 PM
don mash
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

so i upgraded to the 1.1.1 and nothing happened? There is not the extra menu and no red light. Crap I have to go shooting now, so will have to play afterwards.

Don

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:04 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

don mash wrote:
so i upgraded to the 1.1.1 and nothing happened? There is not the extra menu and no red light. Crap I have to go shooting now, so will have to play afterwards.

Don

It's there. I forget exactly what menu, I think someone mentioned either in this thread or another one exactly where it is. But you press the "Q" button once you're in that menu to make changes to it as well.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

teebat
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Will Patterson wrote:

Does it work in one shot mode too?

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:19 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Will Patterson wrote:

MSC wrote:

Will Patterson wrote:

teebat wrote:

No.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:58 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

don mash wrote:

Don

You have to press the Q button inside a menu. Read the full screen on the page of AF Point illumination. It's a footnote.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

stanj wrote:
No.

Not sure what you are referring to, but the red AF point DOES light up in One Shot mode.

I made a quick video to show (somewhat) the illumination change - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvblwDEeR7k

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

teebat wrote:

Will Patterson wrote:
the red AF point DOES light up in One Shot mode.

To clarify, it illuminates only after it has acquired focus, but it does not illuminate while searching for focus or before focusing starts. One Shot focus is unchanged with the new firmware, the only new thing is AI Servo blinking.

In AI Servo mode, the focus points begin blinking when you half press the shutter button to begin AF (or meter lock if you are a back button focus person). They continue blinking while you are actively tracking or attempting to acquire focus while the shutter button is half pressed. The active focus points blink for about 10 seconds after you lift your finger off the shutter button.

I personally turn off the grid and move the AF indicator out of the viewfinder area to help minimize the number of things that flash at me in the viewfinder.

Edited on Oct 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

James Cripps wrote:
Just downloaded the updated user manual from Canon and it is confirmed. Only the center point can be used in these circumstances.

But four surrounding points will assist AF of the centre point.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM
teebat
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Will Patterson wrote:
Not sure what you are referring to, but the red AF point DOES light up in One Shot mode.

I made a quick video to show (somewhat) the illumination change - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvblwDEeR7k

I just watched your video, thanks for that. The viewfinder flash is annoying, and I wish in one shot mode that it would stay red at least until you have achieved focus and then it can blink.

Why can't we just get a red af box like previous 1d models...

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
big country
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

i tried it w/ the 800mm 5.6 and 1.4x iii, and the 500mm ii w/ 2.0x iii. very pleased.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Can someone check if the new flashing works if you use back button focus. I'm hoping it will flash while holding down the AF-ON in AI Servo.

Well actually, I'm really hoping it gets delivered for the 5D3 as I don't have a 1DX

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

arbitrage wrote:
Well actually, I'm really hoping it gets delivered for the 5D3 as I don't have a 1DX

+1

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password