Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

Looks to be a cheaper, dumbed down version of the odin.

http://journal.phottix.com/company-news/phottix-strato-ttl-trigger-announced-photokina/

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:06 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

If I can't do remote manual, not interested.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:08 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

ScooberJake wrote:
If I can't do remote manual, not interested.

how did you deduce that? It appears to have an output jack for triggering standard studio strobes

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:17 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

By remote manual I mean changing manual power levels from the camera position. That's the way I shoot, never TTL (but most implementations of remote manual control use the TTL signal, so I'm stuck buying TTL triggers). I'm not certain, but it doesn't look like these units do that.

Obviously others may be very interested in a simple TTL setup without manual control.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:50 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

ScooberJake wrote:
By remote manual I mean changing manual power levels from the camera position. That's the way I shoot, never TTL (but most implementations of remote manual control use the TTL signal, so I'm stuck buying TTL triggers). I'm not certain, but it doesn't look like these units do that.

Obviously others may be very interested in a simple TTL setup without manual control.

From what I've researched, only PW offers that and only for a very limited set of flash units. They support Alien Bees, Einstein, Elinchrom RX, Qflash but not much else.

Have you found any other wireless remotes which have receiver modules for different brands' flash units?

I'm not interested in TTL flashes.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

The Yongnuo YN-622 units look pretty promising but they are currently only for Canon and I shoot Nikon. Regarding remote manual - " If you prefer manual mode, you can set the precise power level and zoom of your remote flash from the back of your camera."

So it sounds like if your camera has commander mode then the transmitter it can interpret the commands to the different channels and groups into radio signals that it sends to the flashes either in remote manual or TTL depending on what you have it set as on the camera.

brad

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:02 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

Anything on the price?

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:03 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

jzucker - there are other triggers that work in conjunction with TTL and allow manual power adjustments of flash units. Pocketwizards (as you mentioned) are one, but there is also the Radio Poppers, and the Odin system from Phottix. There very well may be others now, but after getting a set of Odin's I've kind of stopped shopping for these types of triggers.

This new trigger does look like a TTL (and HHS) only trigger. I would assume they would also work as a fully manual "dumb" trigger as well. Not bad if that is what you are looking for, but I also like the ability to change power settings right from the control unit.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:46 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Phottix has a new wireless TTL system

the odins had a fatal flaw in that you couldn't trigger the group for doing a flash-meter reading. Ultimately, that's why I got rid of them. However, I wasn't the one asking about remote power setting.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:49 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password