Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2M thoughts and observations

sector99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sigma DP2M thoughts and observations

@millsart

I appreciate your thoughtful DP2Merrill observations with known weaknesses in lens speed/focus speed aside for the moment.

However, your suggestion that stitched panorama Bayer results can mimic same–scene Foveon resolution begs a stitched Foveon response––that would be incrementally better than the Bayer alternative.

Indeed, what's happened here IMO is that the per-square-meter(cm) scene resolution taken with the Sigma DP2m Merrill contains scene details that can never be detected by an equivalent FL Bayer sensor alternative––no matter how many stitched Bayer sensor images are added.

An advantage of the DP2M is that a wide angle pano result can be obtained with much more than a 24 MP Bayer final image size––obviating the need for a WA lens AND with better per–scene details. Sticking to landscapes and slow-moving subjects seems to be the unfortunate rule with the DP2 Merrill.

I suppose the learning curve with DP2M Foveon technology is to "learn" that photographers have "learned" to live with less true resolution during the Bayer Years.

Now we have an "opportunity" "Learning" to live with new advantages AND with some associated disadvantages.

Maybe nothing is as good or as bad as it first seems––In this case ... just differently good.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:21 PM
aman74

p.2 #2 · Sigma DP2M thoughts and observations

sector99 wrote:
@millsart

I appreciate your thoughtful DP2Merrill observations with known weaknesses in lens speed/focus speed aside for the moment.

However, your suggestion that stitched panorama Bayer results can mimic same–scene Foveon resolution begs a stitched Foveon response––that would be incrementally better than the Bayer alternative.

Indeed, what's happened here IMO is that the per-square-meter(cm) scene resolution taken with the Sigma DP2m Merrill contains scene details that can never be detected by an equivalent FL Bayer sensor alternative––no matter how many stitched Bayer sensor images are added.

An advantage of the DP2M is that a wide angle pano result can be obtained with much more than
...Show more

The OP did a nice job, but this is what I'm wondering and thinking as well. He makes a good point about achieving a similar or even greater resolution, but what about the rest of the qualities of the pic? The reason I finally bought a DP2M is that I don't see the same 3D look in any APS-C or smaller sensored cam. Not to mention the sharpness, CA, etc... of the DP2M is much better than the Sony RX1.

Dec 09, 2012 at 09:55 PM
aman74

p.2 #3 · Sigma DP2M thoughts and observations

millsart wrote:
Same goes for post work, is stitching a pano any more work than dealing with SPP workflow ??

I can update this post later tonight with some crops, but really, when comparing a quick higher resolution pano which is downsized, to the 100% DP2M file, they are pretty much equal, if not even better with the stiched file due to less issues with color, blotchiness etc.

In the end its really leaving me pondering if I need/want to deal with the DP2M.

On one hand it offers some fantastic quality, and for the way I work with, its known shortcomings aren't a big
...Show more

Some interesting thoughts. Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got a DP2M and have been surfing for info. You make some good points, but you kind of lost me at the end. Not saying you're wrong, but for myself and I suspect a lot of others, the issue would more be the with or without a tripod aspect. Since the DP series requires one more often you could make the argument about getting the same resolution without the hassle of the tripod with the RX100 or other cameras. However, you'd still be missing the 3D effect, the resolution at far distance, lack of CA, etc... So I'd say if you're doing tripod work anyhow then having the DP for all it's plusses is worth it. Is SPP really that bad? If you're saying to do a pano with a tripod to match the DP then can't we say you could just do a pano with the DP and still be that much ahead? Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, when someone says vertical pano do they mean moving the camera left to right or putting it into portrait orientation? Sorry, I'm an absolute pano newb, but with this new software I definitely want to give it a go.

Dec 09, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chrissearle
• •
p.2 #4 · Sigma DP2M thoughts and observations

Well, I have only had mine a month. I hear what the OP is saying and I have compared pano's I made with my 5D3 and Sigma 150 macro with the DP2M and of course, in terms of sheer resolution the 5D3 panos win hands down, no contest whatsoever. But for me the DP2M output is about more than the resolution or the sharpness or the colour. I'm not an expert in this field at all so all I can say is that I just love the 'look' of the files the DP2M produces.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:53 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Sigma DP2M thoughts and observations

Having both cameras I find the DP2M lens being a better performer though the DP1M is no slouch. I wish it was the other way around since the DP1M wide angle sits better with me.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.2 #6 · Sigma DP2M thoughts and observations

millsart wrote:
Now that I've had the DP2M for a little while, and have been shooting with it extensively, I thought I would share some thoughts and observations on the camera.

A lot of things we already know, for example, the battery life is poor, the AF is slow etc. Really no need to rehash what has already been written countless times. I will add thought that the build of the camera is actually very good.

...............................I agree, just got the DP2M a few days ago, I also ordered a grip (Richard Franiec, and it works fine)

I see so many people who
...Show more

Please look above "under the lines".................

I understand your point, but this sharpness across the frame at wide aperture, also at distant objects, this ....clarity.... is amazing, just amazing, and fine colors (not always, but most of the time perfect) is something to go for.

You are so right - this sensor demands good light, at least handheld, or a tripod, but you only need a light and small one.

You are also right: The Sigma Pro Photo program is not easy to understand in the beginning, so I only changed the WB and saved for another program, but I am beginning to find out more about it, and it can do more, than this, in a fine way, I think, and I am willing to spend the time to find out.

It is not a camera for everyone, we can say, and I would never have it as the only one, because it is not good for fast moving things, and the iso-performance is horribly, but for landscapes in good light or tripod, and for cityscapes (and perhaps also for portraits? if you later blur the skin) - and you get it in a so small pacet, so I love it..

Thank you for your fine review

Added: And we forgot: It is fantastic for B & W

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:34 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password