Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

dubaiphil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Early morning along Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:40 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

I like this a lot Phil.
Douglas

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

a beautiful shot, although I'd like to see more contrast by opening up some dark parts of the image, also give the wonderful sky some drama.
regards, tom

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM
lazlo369
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Spectacular shot of city with stunning architecture.
I like everything about it.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.1 #5 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Beautiful. Print it.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Amazing. Unbelievable futuristic city. Beautifully captured Phil.
Your work and the subjects are awesome.
Scott

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #7 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Very strong, futuristic image. Wow.

John

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

almost surreal, beautiful processing and image, fantastic architecture

Joe

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #9 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

I love it! BW works perfectly for this.

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dubaiphil
• • •
p.1 #10 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

This was my first visit to this location to shoot. I had to ask for access in the early morning, but there is a wrap around pool and bar area on the 43rd floor of the Four Points by Sheraton hotel which is open to the public throughout the day and evening.

Ideally I was looking for fog, which can sometimes occur at this time of year as the weather changes. That's number 1 on my bucket list, photographically, in Dubai!

Light cloud is equally rare, so this made for an interesting sky. Next time there is fog, I'll be up there again to shoot. Even in winter the sun is strong enough to burn off the fog by 8:00 so viewing from the top of the Burj Khalifa (world's tallest building) is not possible as their viewing deck only opens at 10:00.

There are a couple of record holders in this shot - foreground left is the Rose Rayhaan by Rotana, the tallest hotel building in the world (333m, 1093ft), which is #10 on the tallest buildings in Dubai. In the distance is the Burj Khalifa, which is the tallest building in the world (828m, 2717ft)

This particular image is a 3 shot Exposure Fusion blend (-2, 0, +2EV) using Photomatix Pro before a bit of tweaking in PS5 with Nik Color and Silver Efex. D700 and 14-24mm

I'm a fan of my 14-24mm, but architecturally I'm not keen on the volumetric distortion near the edges of the frame. While I was up there on Monday morning I took a few test panoramas with a 35mm prime, which gives more realistic results. Still, when there's fog I'll start with the 14-24 and then move to the panoramas for extra detail and realism once I've got my keepers in the bag.

Here's a different composition - and a single shot rather than 3 shot blend. It's lop sided, but I like the juxtaposition of futuristic skyline to the left and old traditional villas to the right, between Sheikh Zayed Road and the beach.

Again, D700 and 14-24 - note that distortion I'm on about with the tall buildings to the left:

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:57 AM
lazlo369
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Not sure what can be done with the distortion, but the second image you posted is even more incredibly beautiful than the first one.
The combination of dark clouds and the architecture below it makes it truly memorable.
Thank you for getting up so early

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #12 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Awesome! There is something about the distortion I actually think enhances the image in this case...something about the angles. Well done!

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:01 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

suggestion. if you use Photoshop, under Edit is Distort. when the image comes up pull out the top right and left corners and see if this help. I do this when I shoot me 15-35mm and it is very helpful.
have fun, tom

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:19 PM
dubaiphil
• • •
p.1 #14 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Thanks lazlo, russdeneny01 and tomandmarj

@lazlo - they've just announced that for the rest of October they will open the viewing deck of Burj Khalifa (the deck's only 440m above sea level, but can give good views if it's clear) 24 hours a day. I'm booked for another blue hour and dawn soon.

@tomandmarj - I've used Distort already. DxO can run a volumetric distortion correction, which goes some way to fixing the 'problem', but it messes around with the verticals unfortunately.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:29 AM
howardF

p.1 #15 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

I rate this photo "Wow"!!!, the highest rating I ever give to a photo. Outstanding.

Howard

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:12 PM
dubaiphil
• • •
p.1 #16 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn

Thanks Woward!

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM
jrrhodes
• • •
p.1 #17 · Dubai Skyline at Dawn