Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Options for Hypersync with canon 5D II & Elinchrom or...

Tom Robinson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Options for Hypersync with canon 5D II & Elinchrom or Einstein

I'm shooting sport portraits, posed and stationary so I can't give you any feedback on that. In addition, I tested this with the 5DClassic, not the MarkII, but I think the 9pt autofocus is the same on those models. My 1DmIV, with the professional shutter can consistantly sync with my Q-Flashes at 1/320th outside with standard Radio 4i triggers. That's a 1.3 sensor so maybe that helps explain it. I may be wrong but I believe the limits your having with the 5D Full Frame are related to physics. The crop sensor cameras seem more forgiving.
Another problem I think you'll encounter shooting dance outside with these is the lights power. I'm fairly close with my lights but if your going out 15 to 20 feet away for these dancers, you might not have enough.
Tom

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:01 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Options for Hypersync with canon 5D II & Elinchrom or Einstein

ukphotographer wrote:
...Short flash durations should be beneficial for 'Peak' Hypersync and getting you beyond x-sync with an increase in flash to ambient ratio.

How would short flash duration work with faster-than-sync shutters? Wouldn't a long duration be required to keep some light going during the travel of the shutter slit across the sensor?

ukphotographer wrote:
...When a Speedlight can do this, then a strobe like the Ranger or Quadra should be able to this too.

But Speedlites do it by pulsing the tube to get a long duration, right?

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:58 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #3 · Options for Hypersync with canon 5D II & Elinchrom or Einstein

BrianO wrote:
How would short flash duration work with faster-than-sync shutters? Wouldn't a long duration be required to keep some light going during the travel of the shutter slit across the sensor?

With a speedlight which is what I've done this with the 'Peak' can be centred around the middle of the frame. It does result in maintaining the maximum output even at higher shutter speeds up to a point - and there are gradients to the top and bottom. (The duration is not long enough as you point out). The flash pulse which is relatively short is not enough to provide an even illumination across the frame, it can however (because the timing can be set to suit the shutter), be centred in the frame.

Its a compromise.

But Speedlites do it by pulsing the tube to get a long duration, right?

Thats what they do yes. But in the situation described using the ControlTL setup and retiming the sync I could get +1.6 stops flash advantage with an acceptable compromise using a Speedlight by setting 'HSS OFF' (NO pulsing) just using full output. Full output is supposedly 1/1000s for the SB800 I used, the Quadra is supposedly 1/1200s at full output with an 'S' head. The difference in result should be negligible.

Without any retiming and using full output of a Speedlight (SB800/SB900) with no pulsing, I can sync at every shutter speed up to 1/8000s using only the inbuilt FP mode timing in the camera. This is the 'hack' it uses the 'Tail', or the 'Peak' and the 'Tail' depending on your setup. Some equipment works better than others for this and you just can't 'fix' the equipment which is unsuitable unfortunately.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Options for Hypersync with canon 5D II & Elinchrom or Einstein

ukphotographer wrote:
With a speedlight which is what I've done this with the 'Peak' can be centred around the middle of the frame. It does result in maintaining the maximum output even at higher shutter speeds up to a point - and there are gradients to the top and bottom. ...using the ControlTL setup and retiming the sync I could get +1.6 stops flash advantage with an acceptable compromise using a Speedlight by setting 'HSS OFF' (NO pulsing) just using full output. ...Without any retiming and using full output of a Speedlight (SB800/SB900) with no pulsing, I can sync at every
...Show more

Very interesting. I'll have to play with my Canon gear and see if it works, and if so how well. (I'll have to borrow some ControlTL transceivers, of course.)

Thanks for the detailed info.

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:01 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #5 · Options for Hypersync with canon 5D II & Elinchrom or Einstein

Heres how it looks:
The same aperture is maintained. The flash model is an SB900, Pocket Wizard TT1 on Camera TT5 on flash. (D3x) Hypersync offset (-1800).

Those benefits provided are less than just using a 400Ws pack and the compromise is always a guess whether it will be suitable. You can get the benefit of ISO shifting to increase range OR relative output (to ambient) using this technique, this is how it roughly works:

If you could do this with a Quadra, then the benefits would be worthwhile, but as I previously said - not even the tail method with these appear to even maintain ratio.

All this is explained here: http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk/blog/?p=274

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:38 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password