Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D failure question

Beau Arnold
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5D failure question

I had a 5d fail on me at a T & I shoot this weekend. On the one in question when you pressed the shutter button the shutter would not fire. Then maybe 3-10 seconds later the shutter would go off with out a second actuation of the shutter. One of my assistants that was working for me said that he had never noticed it but a red light was flashing on the front of the body during this failure. I do not know if this makes any difference but the images in question were not banded like a typical blown shutter, how do I know this because believe it or not I had a 2nd 5D blow a shutter this weekend. Talk about lightening striking 2. This body in question did have a canon battery grip and was being used in portrait mode with * focus if that could make any difference. No children were harmed by this failure. .

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5D failure question

Sounds like a shutter button failure. I had this happen on one of my 5D in 2010. It cost me $260 (incl tax) to get it fixed at a local repair shop. Now, you'll probably have to send it into a Canon Service Center, as they've changed their business model for service. They can probably provide a preliminary quotation based on the shutter button, over the phone or by email. Of course, it could end up being a different cost if that's not the problem.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 5D failure question

The red light and the smiley face are the tip off that the OP's post is satire.

The red light flashing means the first camera was on self-timer of course. Sounds like the OP is reporting a real failure of a second camera and knows the difference.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 5D failure question

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #5 · 5D failure question

Never have used the timer funtion so no satire. I lost 2 bodies this weekend no need to be more serious than that. Thanks all I will look into the self timer mode to see if that is my culprit. Time to download a manual. I have 4 of these 5d's so we had plenty of backup.

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:05 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #6 · 5D failure question

Kudos to the user Monito. Having never used the self timer function I feel a little stupid. And I can definitly see where he may have been mistaken by my weak attempt at humor. I reset the body to remove the self timer and I'm back to having the shutter go off when it's suppose to. When your in the middle of a 800 kid league with 3 shooters and a body goes crazy it sometimes can ge pretty backed up. Kids waiting momma's offering you there p & s's and your trying to get kids on the field on time. Anyway thanks for the help.

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:19 PM
mjgphotoz

p.1 #7 · 5D failure question

Beau,

Sorry for your issues. It is not a joke though that it is relatively easy to bump the drive mode
from Number of Frames to Timer without noticing it. Do NOT ask me how I know this. Just
note that your description is a match for what happens next! At least check it out

Hope you get lucky on at least the one camera!

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mjgphotoz

p.1 #8 · 5D failure question

Beau,

Looks like I was posting while you were. Glad that was all that was wrong.
Been there and done that. Usually happens to me when going to One
Shot in the studio and not wanting to set the strobes off twice so I adjust
the Frames but overshoot and hit the 2 sec timer and you know the rest.
On the 5DC is is also easy to look through the view finder, reach up to adjust
FEC or something and hit the wrong button while turning the wheel and not
notice until the shutter doesn't go off.

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 5D failure question

Glad it is working for you, Beau.

Reading manuals is a good thing. Sooner is better than later, but better late than never.

For your next exercise, put the camera on mirror lockup and momentarily forget it. You click the shutter and the viewfinder goes black and stays black. If you have presence of mind or if it has happened enough to you, then you will freeze to keep the composition and squeeze the shutter a second time. Works fine for landscapes, not so well for sports.

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 5D failure question

I've accidentally set the self timer many times these 20 some years. I even use it once in a blue moon when I forget my remote release. Wish it was buried in the menus rather than on the drive mode. But, yeah, I too thought for sure the OP was pulling our collective legs. I'm sure every one of us has forgotten to disable MLU and/or self-timer mode more than a few times...

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #11 · 5D failure question

Dumb me.

Edited on Oct 15, 2012 at 05:21 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #12 · 5D failure question

First time for everything I guess thanks all for your collective help here. I guess this is why they call it experience hey. Well only one body will be making it's way to CPS. Heck I feel better already thanks to you guys. I'll try in the future to keep the satire in check along with the self timer mode.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:17 PM
crwoo
• •
p.1 #13 · 5D failure question

lol... was gonna say maybe mirror fell off and jammed in. happened to me once and i see the possibility of scratching the lens... Canon fixed under a recall, i wonder what canon would do if the mirror scratched my lens.

Oct 27, 2012 at 07:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password