Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

After it has been out a while and all / most of the bugs worked out I will consider it... I always wait to see what the criticisms are...

Oct 16, 2012 at 05:38 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I will continue using Win 7 Pro for a while before I have time to upgrade to Win 8. Need to finish processing lots of wedding photos and album designs first.

Oct 16, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Windows 7 is pretty awesome and I'm sure 8 will be nice too. When Windows 7 dropped though it quelled all desires I had to switch to Mac.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

http://cnettv.cnet.com/reasons-upgrade-windows-8/9742-1_53-50133044.html
CNET Top 5: Reasons not to upgrade to Windows 8

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I have Windows 7 system I built a while back, it's rock solid for editing. I have a 17" MBP for the front-end visuals and client based interactions, slideshows etc. The perfect pair of systems for what I do. Not interested in Windows 8 anytime soon.

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:36 AM
EOSDNG
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Does anyone else use the Samsung Series 9 laptops (i7, 256SSD etc.)

Its like the Mac Book Air but i think, it is much faster and more durable. Lighroom flies and post production work goes much faster.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

EOSDNG wrote:
Does anyone else use the Samsung Series 9 laptops (i7, 256SSD etc.)

Its like the Mac Book Air but i think, it is much faster and more durable. Lighroom flies and post production work goes much faster.

Are you actually using it or are you asking people as two statements makes it look like 2 different things.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Why I upgraded:
It's fast, realy realy fast!
Boots up in 9 seconds and you don't have to wait a second for the desktop to load (wich I didn't like in win7). It's extremly stable, runs 15 programs at a time without any delay.
Wakening from sleep is just in a blink of an eye.
Every program I have runs at least 10% faster (some like Internet Explorer, mail, excel,... are more like 50% faster). And this is just on a 2010 laptop with first gen i7 1.60 GHz and 6GB of ram! I will install it on my desktop with SSD's, Xeon processors and 24 GB of ram this week, I will have a blast!

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

oldrattler wrote:
After it has been out a while and all / most of the bugs worked out I will consider it.

I'll wait till it's been out a few years to get the bugs worked out.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
EOSDNG
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

@myoshi
I am using the Samsung Series 9 Laptop for my wedding post production work. I moved back from a 13" Mac Book Pro.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:10 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I would recommend waiting until the first Windows 8 Service Pack is released before upgrading. That is my plan.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:31 PM
drpeters
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

ricardovaste wrote:
will Windows 8 be more demanding on my hardware = lower performance ? It seems to look a little different, perhaps nicer, but beyond that I don't really understand it...

Win8 is a BFD. It is the first time an OS upgrade has fewer system requirements than the OS it is replacing. From my understanding, your computer will run faster with win8 than win7.

Another reason to upgrade early: there are fewer known exploits when an OS is young, so your computer will be safer. The older an OS, the more security holes are discovered. XP is riddled with security problems now, much more so than when it was Microsoft's current OS.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

http://win7vista.com/index.php?board=105.0

http://www.zdnet.com/even-windows-8-early-adopters-prefer-windows-7-by-two-to-one-7000004927/?s_cid=e539

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

drpeters wrote:
Win8 is a BFD. It is the first time an OS upgrade has fewer system requirements than the OS it is replacing.

I read a review that said Windows 8 is designed for mobile first; not for real work as done on the desktop.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

playerofwar wrote:
Why I upgraded:
It's fast, realy realy fast!
Boots up in 9 seconds and you don't have to wait a second for the desktop to load (wich I didn't like in win7). It's extremly stable, runs 15 programs at a time without any delay.
Wakening from sleep is just in a blink of an eye.
Every program I have runs at least 10% faster (some like Internet Explorer, mail, excel,... are more like 50% faster). And this is just on a 2010 laptop with first gen i7 1.60 GHz and 6GB of ram! I will install it on my desktop with SSD's, Xeon processors
...Show more

This sounds promising. Instead of ever increasing bloat and resource requirements for an OS, more speed which is what we actually care about - nice.

Hopefully it also won't need rebuilding every 6 months to maintain performance but that may be wishful thinking.

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:29 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

There is an option to give your pc a fresh start while keeping your programs and documents. I used it and it did the job ,didn't need it, but I was testing it for fun) It only deleted my internet history, Skype for some weird reason (probably already fixed) and some minor programs I did not even know.

Windows 8 takes a few hours to get used to ; searching, sharing, settings are shown when going to the upper right corner, the start screen also feels a bit useless and time consuming in the beginning. But after you get used to it, you realise it's faster and better than Windows 7. With the advantage that you can still do everything "the old way". Some reviewers only played with it for an hour and say it's useless and that are the reviews we all see. Do you need win8? NO Would you want it? YES! When going back to my win7 pc, I have the same feeling as going back to Vista from win7. (no, win7 is not shit like Vista, but win8 is just a huge improvement in the small things that makes everything that much better, inuitivity, ease of use, stability,...)
It feels like it's build for the Profesional and Consumer in 1 OS.
Yes, sometimes there are some very minor bugs (but I only found some in the Preview of Office 2013), but when you report them they are fixed in the next update, probably a coincidence (weekly updates). The more I work with it, the more I like it!

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

It will be interesting to compare LR4 times between win7 and 8

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:39 PM
drpeters
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Perhaps some of the UI was designed with mobile computing in mind, but the guts, the engine, the heart of it is not.

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:30 AM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

From what I understand, Win8 is geared to realize maximum benefits to tablet/touch screen users. For the rest of us, it is not a huge upgrade. Win7 is working great for me, so I will not upgrade until the initial bugs are worked out and we can see some real world reviews. No use fixing something that isn't broke.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM
drpeters
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Steve Tinetti wrote:
From what I understand, Win8 is geared to realize maximum benefits to tablet/touch screen users. For the rest of us, it is not a huge upgrade. Win7 is working great for me, so I will not upgrade until the initial bugs are worked out and we can see some real world reviews. No use fixing something that isn't broke.

You are referring to the user interface and not what's under the hood, so to speak. With the OS using less system resources, one would imagine seeing a boost in performance of Lightroom, for example.

I can either report back in this thread or start a new one with my thoughts/comments/analysis on Win8 after I have upgraded my system to it, which I plan on doing.

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.