Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · How much does WB matter?

ShacharLee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · How much does WB matter?

Inku Yo wrote:
Not really debating the ease in which to set WB. It's easy, no doubt. But, if you're going to fix it or adjust it later, why even worry about it at all?

Because I usually only adjust WB in about 20% of my images (mostly getting ready) and because I usually hate the WB auto chooses and I want to see right there in the moment what my image looks like with the WB I like.

Inku Yo wrote:
What K do you set it for when the lights are on and there's a window in the room? Some people hanging by the window and some over on the couch by the lamps? Moments happening in both locations?

That's easy, in that case I'll just shoot a very wide B&W
Maybe our style of shooting is just different, I'm not really a fast snapper kind of girl (and if I did I promise you WB would be the least of my concerns ) and most of the time I don't really feel the need to be. If I'm in a room with multiple things happening in different areas, like mom getting ready at one corner and bride getting ready at the other, I will just shoot one thing at the time, go to the bride get all my camera setting right, my composition, angle etc, take a few shots and then move on and do the same with mom, and if something really interesting happens really fast with the bride while I'm shooting mom then I'll do almost the same as you, leave the WB as is and fix it in post, but like I said most of the time I don't feel that rushed that I can't spare a second or two to move my eye from the viewfinder, also I find extreme fast variables lighting temp situations are not that common in most of the wedding day.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:27 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · How much does WB matter?

So, you sacrifice composition and action for white balance?

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · How much does WB matter?

ive found that "corrected" WB often looks like crap to people who were actually there. its usually far too cool.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · How much does WB matter?

AWB 90% of the time. I set it to tungsten when I gel my flash.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · How much does WB matter?

Sergio Mottola wrote:
ive found that "corrected" WB often looks like crap to people who were actually there. its usually far too cool.

Beyond truth. I push 500 kelvin from correction nearly 100% of the time.

Edited on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · How much does WB matter?

amonline wrote:
I push 500 kelvin over the conditions nearly 100% of the time.

That's quite warm.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · How much does WB matter?

amonline wrote:
So, you sacrifice composition and action for white balance?

Where did you get that from ??
I set WB when I have time, if I don't have time I leave it as is (from the time I previously set it), most of the times I have plenty of time.nothing is being sacrificed.

Why leave it at auto in times you do have time to set it up like you want it?
You know if you screwed up you can always fix it in post like you would in auto so what are you so afraid of?

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · How much does WB matter?

D. Diggler wrote:
That's quite warm.

Sorry, I meant from corrected... and it's usually true to the eye and memory.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · How much does WB matter?

ShacharLee wrote:
Where did you get that from ??

ShacharLee wrote:
...If I'm in a room with multiple things happening in different areas, like mom getting ready at one corner and bride getting ready at the other, I will just shoot one thing at the time, go to the bride get all my camera setting right, my composition, angle etc, take a few shots and then move on and do the same with mom...

ShacharLee wrote:
Why leave it at auto in times you do have time to set it up like you want it?
You know if you screwed up you can always fix it in post like you would in auto so what are you so afraid of?

If you had read my previous posts, you'd have noticed that I said I do.

Oct 18, 2012 at 01:03 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · How much does WB matter?

ShacharLee wrote:
Maybe our style of shooting is just different, I'm not really a fast snapper kind of girl (and if I did I promise you WB would be the least of my concerns ) and most of the time I don't really feel the need to be. If I'm in a room with multiple things happening in different areas, like mom getting ready at one corner and bride getting ready at the other, I will just shoot one thing at the time, go to the bride get all my camera setting right, my composition, angle etc, take a few shots and
...Show more

Yeah, I tend to try to concentrate on the entire scene, not just an area of the room. I look at the whole room and see what's going on.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:19 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.