Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · How much does WB matter?

Kittyk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · How much does WB matter?

ShacharLee wrote:
yes but the exposure is different for different WB and the preview image with the wrong WB will through off your exposure while shooting.
Just try it, take an image which was shot in tungsten make it BW and play with the WB sliders and see what happens to the exposure, the warmer the WB the brighter the image will look and vice versa. you can do it in color version too but in BW it's just more obvious...

no, it is because BW is made from color, you can use as much as any color you want to make your BW.
also histograms are calculated from jpegs, not raws, they do not show truth either.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Bill Guy
• •
p.2 #2 · How much does WB matter?

To WB or not to WB that is the question. Wither it is nobler in the mind to warm or cool an image or to take the time to carefully meter and shoot a target so as to not guess later. (Sorry I have seen far too many English shows on Netflix lately.)

If you are able to take the time and have bought a Digital Target with you then by all means shoot it and correct off of it if true color rendition is important such as a commercial product shoot. Otherwise the feeling of the moment is far more important. Plus as humans we tend to like images that are slightly warmer which gives us the feeling of closeness and love.

If I have to shoot a wedding or event I will shoot Raw with AWB because I know that in the Raw Processor (Photoshop or Lightroom) under the White Balance menu I can pick one of the presets for lighting condition or style. If you are using only Photoshop be sure to select all the images shot under that lighting condition in Bridge and then open them in Camera Raw. That way you can sync all the image for one WB correction. Plus if some are off you can go in and just correct those by selecting them in those thumbnails on the left side.

Bonus Tip...Did you know that you can also go to the Camera Calibration tab you can also pick the camera profiles for your Nikon or Canon. It is under the Camera Calibration menu. There you will find the Faithful, Landscape, Natural settings. Quick way to get some of the looks you saw on the back of the camera when you were shooting.

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:10 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #3 · How much does WB matter?

TRReichman wrote:
Why fix something later when you can get it right in the moment? We used to be "fix-it-later" type people but we realized that we were spending time on the back end that could have been saved - efficiency means that we spend less time working. So we just decided to get it right in the moment to cause less work in post. AWB also continually changes so using that tends to mean that batch WB adjustments are less accurate.

- trr

add Dougs message too.
Starting to set my WB manually more and more. especial when the flashes are out..

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.2 #4 · How much does WB matter?

I just use AWB and a Colorchecker Passport... The AWB in my Canon bodies is pretty close to useless, so I just bank on it needing to be corrected one way or another. You can also use the CP to set WB manually on the spot if you want to. Next year I'd like to upgrade to the 5D3, and I'd be curious to see if AWB has gotten any better...

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:09 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · How much does WB matter?

Inku Yo wrote:
AWB all day long. Don't want to think or worry about it.

Inku Yo wrote:
Whatever works for everyone... WB is very low on my list of important things to remember. When I'm moving from room to room and from position to position and the scene is changing from front lit to back lit and from flourescent to tungsten to window light, all while trying to capture fleeting moments, I don't really want to stop to change or think about the WB.

I know. I'm baffled by how many worry about it, when 99% of us shoot RAW. It simply doesn't matter in that instance. You get what the sensor sees, and LR sets a kelvin based on what the camera chose. Sure, I'll set it if I'm in one situation for a long period of time; but generally, I put it out of my thinking. I have plenty more to think about. It has to be corrected later anyway, so what's the point.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:42 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #6 · How much does WB matter?

What all do we have to think about that WB is so hard to manage?

- trr

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:48 PM
r-m-g

p.2 #7 · How much does WB matter?

I try to set it - I like walking inside, taking that first frame and grimacing at the blue preview - I think it makes me think more about my light sources...

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:05 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · How much does WB matter?

TRReichman wrote:
What all do we have to think about that WB is so hard to manage?

- trr

Observing. Moving from room to room/mixed lighting situations. I'd rather keep my eye on the action than be looking down adjusting settings every time I move. That's just me, though.

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:11 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #9 · How much does WB matter?

I guess I'm in the camp of people that don't think setting shutter/ISO/aperture/WB is all that difficult while looking for the content. If you decide you can do it, you can do it.

- trr

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #10 · How much does WB matter?

TRReichman wrote:
I guess I'm in the camp of people that don't think setting shutter/ISO/aperture/WB is all that difficult while looking for the content. If you decide you can do it, you can do it.

- trr

Depends on the camera, I suppose. I can change shutter, aperture, iso without taking my eye off the viewfinder. I dont know about other cameras. Whatever works for you. I just find that WB isn't as big a deal as shutter/aperture/iso is to getting the shot... can't really adjust those after the fact.

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bthatton
• • •
p.2 #11 · How much does WB matter?

I still end up adjusting the white balance in post even after setting in camera so I don't see the need.

Plus, who am I kidding - it ain't me adjusting the white balance in post. .

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:35 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #12 · How much does WB matter?

I do a lot of custom/manual white balance. I carry a gray card with me and use that to set a custom white balance. I do that at the ceremony, for the formals, for the cake shots, for the flower shots. Anything where accurate color is paramount. Are you really going to be able to get exactly right the hue of a particular color when you go to adjust white balance later in post ... will you remember the color shade it really was.

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:59 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · How much does WB matter?

Inku Yo wrote:
Observing. Moving from room to room/mixed lighting situations. I'd rather keep my eye on the action than be looking down adjusting settings every time I move. That's just me, though.

Inku Yo wrote:
Depends on the camera, I suppose. I can change shutter, aperture, iso without taking my eye off the viewfinder. I dont know about other cameras. Whatever works for you. I just find that WB isn't as big a deal as shutter/aperture/iso is to getting the shot... can't really adjust those after the fact.

It's not just you. I'm the exact same way.

D. Diggler wrote:
I do a lot of custom/manual white balance. I carry a gray card with me and use that to set a custom white balance. I do that at the ceremony, for the formals, for the cake shots, for the flower shots. Anything where accurate color is paramount. Are you really going to be able to get exactly right the hue of a particular color when you go to adjust white balance later in post ... will you remember the color shade it really was.

I don't want exact perfect WB in most cases. When I do fine art reproductions for a local art studio, I use a WhiBal for perfection under controlled lighting conditions. For weddings, it's kind of pointless. I don't want to remember the color shade at a wedding. I want to remember what the moment felt like.

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:20 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.2 #14 · How much does WB matter?

Inku Yo wrote:

+1. The last wedding I shot solo. The bride and bridesmaids were getting ready in a room lit solely by tungsten. The guys were in an room close by with lots of window light coming in. As I walked from the room the girls were getting ready in I caught a quick moment occurring between family outside which I shot quickly through the living room window. I barely had time to adjust my exposure for the outside light before the moment was gone, but I caught it.

It's times like these that I'm glad I don't have to worry about switching my WB or whipping out a gray card. I can adjust shutter, aperture, ISO, focus point, AF mode, burst mode, etc without taking my eye out of the viewfinder. But I have to take the camera off my face and look down at it for WB. And a gray card adds even more time to the equation.

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:21 PM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.2 #15 · How much does WB matter?

Kittyk wrote:
no, it is because BW is made from color, you can use as much as any color you want to make your BW.
also histograms are calculated from jpegs, not raws, they do not show truth either.

that's because you are talking about metered exposure and I'm talking about how bright or dark an image actually looks at the back of your camera or your computer screen. WB effect how bright or dark your image look and it is something you should be aware of if you plan on changing it in post. warm WB in a warm scene will look brighter than cool WB and if you are judging exposure by how the image look on the lcd than if you are at the wrong WB it will through you off.

Oct 16, 2012 at 07:40 AM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.2 #16 · How much does WB matter?

mccallmedia wrote:
+1. The last wedding I shot solo. The bride and bridesmaids were getting ready in a room lit solely by tungsten. The guys were in an room close by with lots of window light coming in. As I walked from the room the girls were getting ready in I caught a quick moment occurring between family outside which I shot quickly through the living room window. I barely had time to adjust my exposure for the outside light before the moment was gone, but I caught it.

It's times like these that I'm glad I don't have to worry about
...Show more

Just because we try to get it right in camera doesn't mean we do not shoot raw and we can't change it in post you know if I don't have time and I want to grab something real fast than I can just leave it as is and change it later, yes I might get this one image really off but I rather have a few way off than all the images a little off.

You are all talking like the viewfinder is glued to your eyes all day, OK I get that's sometimes thing go real fast and you barley have time to even set exposure (although I assume you don't switch to P mode just to not miss anything...) but what about most of the times when you do have time, why not at least try to get it right then?

Oct 16, 2012 at 07:56 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #17 · How much does WB matter?

ShacharLee wrote:
Just because we try to get it right in camera doesn't mean we do not shoot raw and we can't change it in post you know if I don't have time and I want to grab something real fast than I can just leave it as is and change it later, yes I might get this one image really off but I rather have a few way off than all the images a little off.

You are all talking like the viewfinder is glued to your eyes all day, OK I get that's sometimes thing go real fast and
...Show more

Are you saying you get WB perfect in camera all the time and NEVER have to adjust in post?

AWB = one less thing I have to worry about.

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:08 PM
ZachOly
• •
p.2 #18 · How much does WB matter?

I leave it on a "close enough" custom WB depending on where I am (cloudy or tungsten most of the time). If I have time, I'll shoot a grey card and fix it in post.

But I don't have time when on location to create a new custom WB whenever the sun goes behind a cloud or when I move my clients in the shade.

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:36 PM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.2 #19 · How much does WB matter?

Inku Yo wrote:
Are you saying you get WB perfect in camera all the time and NEVER have to adjust in post?

AWB = one less thing I have to worry about.

Of curse not! but I adjust it a lot less now than when I used to shoot in auto and even better than this is I can see right there in the moment pretty much what my final image is going to like and I don't have to imagine what it would look like with a different WB.
I never worry about it because I know I can always fix it later if I set it up wrong or didn't have time to set it up at all but if I have the time than why not try to get it right? after a while you kind of learn just by looking around you what is the correct kelvin so i'ts easy.

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #20 · How much does WB matter?

ShacharLee wrote:
Of curse not! but I adjust it a lot less now than when I used to shoot in auto and even better than this is I can see right there in the moment pretty much what my final image is going to like and I don't have to imagine what it would look like with a different WB.
I never worry about it because I know I can always fix it later if I set it up wrong or didn't have time to set it up at all but if I have the time than why not try to get
...Show more

Not really debating the ease in which to set WB. It's easy, no doubt. But, if you're going to fix it or adjust it later, why even worry about it at all?

What K do you set it for when the lights are on and there's a window in the room? Some people hanging by the window and some over on the couch by the lamps? Moments happening in both locations?

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:23 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password