Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Urgent repair advice needed

troy12n
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Urgent repair advice needed

Took a faceplant today and my 40d and 70-200/4 took the brunt of it. I have a backup camera body and other lenses, but am seriously behind the 8-ball now. The lens popped off the body. None of the glass is broken, the screws which hold it to the mount actually physically pulled out and the wires pulled out of the mount. The body will power but I cannot get the lens mount to release off the body, so I dont know what is wrong.

I am a CPS member, however, I am on-site, 1000 miles away. I can send them the body/lens but they will not ship to anywhere but my home address. Which does me no good. I was hoping to get this turned around within the week and shipped back to me.

I am in the general area of Roanoke, VA. Do I have any local options? I am sure they wont be able to fix the lens in the field, but if I could at least get the body working again, that would help.

Can anyone who knows the area be of assistance?? Thanks

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #2 · Urgent repair advice needed

Not what you are asking for but some options none the less.

Maybe you can pick up a used 40D on Craig's List locally cheap.

I don't know if you have the time, but what about calling CPS to see if they can fix it while you wait. Then make the 3 hour drive to CPS Newport News.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM
troy12n
• • •
p.1 #3 · Urgent repair advice needed

JimboCin wrote:
I don't know if you have the time, but what about calling CPS to see if they can fix it while you wait. Then make the 3 hour drive to CPS Newport News.

I thought about that as a last option. It's about 400 miles each way from where I am at.

I'm not going to buy a used body just for this. I could get by with 1 body if I absolutely have to.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #4 · Urgent repair advice needed

Rent one?

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Urgent repair advice needed

Getting the broken lens mount off the body shouldn't be too much trouble, if that's all that's wrong with the body.

Try:

Photo USA, Inc.
2140 Colonial Ave
Roanoke, VA 24015

540-344-2712

888-234-6320

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

troy12n
• • •
p.1 #6 · Urgent repair advice needed

BrianO wrote:
Getting the broken lens mount off the body shouldn't be too much trouble, if that's all that's wrong with the body.

Try:

Photo USA, Inc.
2140 Colonial Ave
Roanoke, VA 24015

540-344-2712

888-234-6320

Thank you

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM
RonR2
• •
p.1 #7 · Urgent repair advice needed

252 miles one way and it's all interstate so should be able to make in 4 hrs.
Getting equipment fixed while you wait is something else.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:12 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #8 · Urgent repair advice needed

It's a bit of a hike (probably 4-5 hour drive), but there is a Canon Factory Service Center in Virginia.

Canon Factory Service Center
12022 Canon Blvd
Newport News, VA 23602
(866) 510-1335
http://www.usa.canon.com/repair

Another idea: Check craigslist. There's a 5D, for example, on Roanoke CL for $735. http://roanoke.craigslist.org/pho/3339050281.html. Buy some used equipment and sell it again once your camera is fixed.

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:05 PM
troy12n
• • •
p.1 #9 · Urgent repair advice needed

RonR2 wrote:
252 miles one way and it's all interstate so should be able to make in 4 hrs.
Getting equipment fixed while you wait is something else.

It's more than that from where I am at, almost 400 miles each way, which I am unwilling to do.

I went to that place in Roanoke today, they were of no use. I am just SOL until I get home...

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Urgent repair advice needed

troy12n wrote:
...I went to that place in Roanoke today, they were of no use. I am just SOL until I get home...

Sorry to hear that. Thay used to have a former Ritz Camera repair tech on staff, but that may have been some time ago.

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password