Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

Luftansa, and many other international airlines, now have a 8kg (17.6 lb) limit on a carry-on piece of luggage which means I either check-in my camera gear which I really don't want to do unless absolutely necessary or find a pretty lightweight option.

I will not carry my whole gear, I thinking:

1) Gripped 7D w/24-105L attached on a CarrySpeed strap
2) Canon 70-200 IS II
3) Sigma 50mm
4) Canon 10mm L
4) Kenko 1.4x TC and macro extension tubes
5) Battery charger
6) 10.1" tablet
7) Travel documents with emergency toiletry

Any recommendations within a decent budget (<$350 max)? The ThinkTank airport series are around 10 lb just by themselves and I know for a fact that European and Indian airports are very strict with size and weight limits. I can carry another "personal item" but that will very likely be a laptop in a hard case. Any help will be appreciated.

Oct 14, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

99,9% of the time you fly with Lufthansa and most other European Airlines they will not check the weight if you are within the size limit. (maybe with UK airports as an exception)
I fly a lot between Europe and Bangkok with my photo equipment. I always bring around 15kg in my carry-on (ThinkTank Airport Addicted). Usually I fly with Thai Airways, SAS or Lufthansa. But have done it with most of the other big airlines also.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:16 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

Last time, they actually checked and I was barely under the limit. This time I got more gear to carry though.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:54 PM
mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

Varun,

Have you thought about Gura Gear's Kiboko line of backpacks? They are made for travel, hold a lot of gear, and are lightweight. Refurb ones on sale here:

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/

Mitesh

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

I did look that up. I may end up going with a regular backpack such as that one (great price too!) if I don't find a rolling backpack or case that suits my weight limits.

Thanks a lot!

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

I have yet to have my carry on bags checked at Heathrow or Gatwcik but have never flown with Lufthansa nor to the USA. If you are in the position to shop around you may find considerable variation in carry-on alowance. That said, the luggage reglations for flights to America, last time I looked, are relatively horrific.

I tend to put things like chargers, batteries, flash guns (wrapped in bubble wrap) in my suitcase.

Harold

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

ThinkTank is coming up with a new Airport Navigator model that seems to be just what I want. I will take a look when it is released exactly a month from now. If nothing else works till then, I will go with this.

Thanks for the tips, Harold. FYI, TSA now has strict regulations regarding the amount of Li-ion batteries you can carry on a plane be it check-in (even less) or carry-on. This does not affect me but just wanted to share with other people. I have heard stories of batteries being confiscated at the airports recently.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

TSA Prohibited list
latest revision 12 Oct 2012
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Li ion batteries without safety covers to prevent shorting are the problems

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:03 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

Yup, that's it I believe. Thanks for the link!

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

the ban on uncovered batteries has been going for years. you can subscribe to this list from the TSA if you want to.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:07 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

This is taken from Chase Jarvis' blog. All the times I flew in 2009-2011, no one seemed to care. Come 2012 and I see stories of this in effect on forums.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:11 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

If anyone from the UK is concerned, the only batteries banned from hold luggage (Heathrow) are car-type liquid batteries. However, if you are flying to the USA...

Harold

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

a little out of date wouldn't you say?
people have a bad habit of not admitting to the real backstory. you read about the effect but not the real cause for the most part.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:19 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Light weight carry-on recommendations?

Agreed, I had no idea it was the non-covered batteries that were the issue until your post in here. That is logical and makes sense. So much for getting paranoid over batteries

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password