Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Canon 50mm 1.4 for reception?

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Canon 50mm 1.4 for reception?

I can shoot dancing with anything from 16mm to 200mm. My own personal opinion is that if the 50 is too difficult to focus then you are probably too close. Take a few steps back, stop down, or use another lens.

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.2 #2 · Canon 50mm 1.4 for reception?

Any lens use near wide open is difficult to get in focus on the dance floor. People move and DOF can be no more then an inch. All it takes is a small amount of movement and the focus is off.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM
zalle

p.2 #3 · Canon 50mm 1.4 for reception?

deepbluejh wrote:
I can shoot dancing with anything from 16mm to 200mm. My own personal opinion is that if the 50 is too difficult to focus then you are probably too close. Take a few steps back, stop down, or use another lens.

Yep, I really like to get in there with 16mm in hand and do some wild shooting, but you know the moments when you have just a couple (The couple or some other couple) dancing, and the 50mm @ 1.4 would be just perfect, but it will not focus... Which other lens would you recommend for this

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #4 · Canon 50mm 1.4 for reception?

Nikon's 50mm 1.4 is equally bad.

I do use Nikon 35mm 1.4g with D700 wide open for dance photos all the time. The result is very good.

I am getting Canon 35mm 1.4L with 5d Mk III and hopefully it is good also.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Canon 50mm 1.4 for reception?

DavidCZ wrote:
I am getting Canon 35mm 1.4L with 5d Mk III and hopefully it is good

I've seen for myself that the 35/1.4L is noticeably better wide open than Canon's 50/1.4 in regards to contrast and resolution. The 50 gets a haze over the lens wide open, which is often referred to as "halation". Additionally, the 50 has very bad purple fringing wide open.

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password