Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              13       14       end

Archive 2012 · Medium-Large Format tips

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Medium-Large Format tips

Your Japanese friends are right: definitely the Pentax 67II system for me -- the best medium format interchangeable lens SLR for hand held "walk around". Great handling, metering, size, optics, and durability, all at a reasonable (these days: cheap) price.

RB67 Pro SD is best for price/versatility. It's just silly how cheap these foolproof all manual cameras are going for. But the camera is just too big for extended handheld work (I carried one a couple miles up trails at Mt. Rainer with tripod -- not again!).

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:41 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Medium-Large Format tips

The RZ67 is lighter than the RB67, so that might be another option. I have toyed with the idea of getting one for a while now.

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:46 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Medium-Large Format tips

The Pentax 67 looks to be made for the incredible hulk, ha ha, I would love to see one next to an RX1. Great lenses it has, like most of the old MF film cameras, MR used one and has material on them at LL. Your question is so open-ended, K, that it will just bring out all our prejudices.

Me, the Mamiya RF cameras, 6 or 7, and the Fuji 645s, the 645zi zoom of 55-90mm (eq of 35mm: 34mm-56mm) is a fine camera, but my alltime fave is the Fuji GA645 60mm f4 fixed lens. Fuji have been a great company for so long, and one of the few to make fabulous cameras and/or lenses in LF, MF and now digital.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Medium-Large Format tips

philip_pj wrote:
The Pentax 67 looks to be made for the incredible hulk, ha ha, I would love to see one next to an RX1.

Here's a pic of my 6x7 next to my NEX-5N, at any rate.

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/ef145a2eeca311e195351231381b651f_7.jpg

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:04 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Medium-Large Format tips

A giant...
Well, I am using a light meter app in iPhone..so far it has been accurate. Other times I estimate the exposure from experience...not as reliable probably..
GX690 doesn't have any metering facility either actually, so it's not much of a change..

Hassy lenses are a bit on expensive side, true.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM
campyone
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Medium-Large Format tips

I used the Pentax 67 system for a long time and liked it a lot. I chose it by the process of elimination. I thought 645 was too small and I don't care for the square format so that eliminated all 645 and 6x6 cameras. As among the 6x7s, the Mamiya RB/RZs were too big and heavy for the outdoor work I do so they were eliminated. I really like the lenses for the Mamiya 7 and also it's relatively small size and weight. But I don't like rangefinders so the Mamiya 7s were eliminated. That pretty much left the Pentax system for me.

If you go that route get the 67II if you can, it had quite a few improvements over the more primitive 67 and earlier 6x7 cameras (the latter two are essentially the same cameras but the 67s are newer than the 6x7s).

In your header you asked about large format but didn't say anything about it in the body of your question. I used large format - 4x5,5x7, and 8x10 - for years, much more than the Pentax system for about the last 8 years. This probably isn't the best forum for asking about large format. For that I'd suggest you go to www.largeformatphotography.info.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Medium-Large Format tips

6x12 from Lomo

http://usa.shop.lomography.com/cameras/belair-cameras/belair-city-slicker

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:06 AM
harvey steeves
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Medium-Large Format tips

Medium format just has so many options both in format size and physical design. There is no one size fits all like 35mm. I currently own Mamiya and Pentax 645, Bronica and Hasselblad 6x6, Mamiya 6, Fuji 680s, Yashica 124g and a bevy of old MF folders. In the past I have owned Pentax 67, Mamiya RBs and RZs, Rolleiflex, Fuji 6x9 and 617. I'm sure there is something missing - I forget things these days.
If I had to choose a walk around from what I have owned or used, it would be the Mamiya 6 (or a 7) - the quality of the glass is good to great and they are relatively small. When weight is no object, it would be the 680. Versatility coming out of its butt. Amazing glass. Great for building muscle mass. When its for looks, the 680 or any TLR. Shock them with size or befuddle them with funkiness.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Medium-Large Format tips

alwang -- Aw, come on -- that's a prejudicial photo with perspective emphasis making the 67 look even bigger!

Plus, you have the big clunky TTL finder. More prejudice, Your Honor! Ha-ha!

Okay, the Pentax 6&7II is big, but not THAT big. Here's a comparison against my standard rig, 5D2 with battery grip and 16-35II lens. 1D-series is similar, and probably a little heavier than the 5D2 -- those are my to regular shooting rigs for digital. Not really that much different in size or weight. Plus, I've mounted the larger 165/2.8 Pentax lens, compared to the "normal" 105/2.4 or 90/2.8.

I find the Pentax terrific for handheld stability out of all the 6x7 and larger film sizes. And I prefer it to even the Hasselblad's for ergonomics and better film usage.

Of course, if you are shooting a dainty little camera like a Nex or OM-D, the Pentax will seem monstrous!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/gunzorro/gunzorros%20new%20album%20July%202012/PA213949.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/gunzorro/gunzorros%20new%20album%20July%202012/PA213953.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/gunzorro/gunzorros%20new%20album%20July%202012/PA213951.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/gunzorro/gunzorros%20new%20album%20July%202012/PA213952.jpg

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:02 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Medium-Large Format tips

Gunzorro wrote:
alwang -- Aw, come on -- that's a prejudicial photo with perspective emphasis making the 67 look even bigger!

lol, guilty as charged, though it's still an amusing photo. I mostly use the 6x7 for on-location portraiture, but yesterday I took it out on a 3-4 hour hike, and didn't mind the weight at all...

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Medium-Large Format tips

Gunzorro wrote:

Okay, the Pentax 6&7II is big, but not THAT big. Here's a comparison against my standard rig, 5D2 with battery grip and 16-35II lens. 1D-series is similar, and probably a little heavier than the 5D2 -- those are my to regular shooting rigs for digital. Not really that much different in size or weight. Plus, I've mounted the larger 165/2.8 Pentax lens, compared to the "normal" 105/2.4 or
...Show more

yup, those are two cameras that i would never take out of the house.

i think i'd rather just take a speed graphic if i'm gonna use something that big.

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:54 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Medium-Large Format tips

I find the Pentax terrific for handheld stability out of all the 6x7 and larger film sizes. And I prefer it to even the Hasselblad's for ergonomics and better film usage.

Better handheld stability than a Mamiya 7 and 80mm? I don't think so.

Oct 21, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Medium-Large Format tips

Luminosity -- I just threw the Hassy in there for comparison. Yes, sure the Mamiya 7 is smaller and handles better. But that is a different sort of class, not SLR, and suffers from high price and limited lens selection. Still, and excellent camera!

alwang -- At least you are honest!

sebboh -- I know you like the smaller rigs and produce some excellent shots and panos. I don't quite get the feeling about the bigger cameras, but that's why so many types are made. But these (67II and 5D2) are nothing like the boxy and heavy RB and RZ 67 with prism finder, and the Speed Graphic is anything but speedy or SLR -- pretty darned clunky if you want to take a lot of shots. I've carried the 67II all over the floor of Yosemite Valley, with and without 3051 tripod -- much easier without the tripod!

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Medium-Large Format tips

sebboh -- I've done it, but I draw the line at taking the RB67 out for hand held photography. This piece is a beast compared to the relatively small Pentax 67II. Shown here with the Mamiya 75mm f/3.5 KL lens, and the Pentax 75mm f/2.8 ASPH lens.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/gunzorro/gunzorros%20new%20album%20July%202012/PA213959.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/gunzorro/gunzorros%20new%20album%20July%202012/PA213956.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/gunzorro/gunzorros%20new%20album%20July%202012/PA213958.jpg

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Medium-Large Format tips

What's great about medium format is that each format (645, 66, 67 etc) plus each type (slr, waist level, tlr, rangefinder) makes you look at things differently. Honestly the only way to find out what works best for you is to try each one

I've gone through (and still jave most) the hassy, mamiya 645, mamiya c330 (tlr), rz67, Pentax 67, and Contax 645. My next one will probably be a mamiya 7.

My favorites are the hassy with the 50, and rz67 with the 110mm. I think the 80 on the mamiya 7 will also be wonderful for me...

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Medium-Large Format tips

zalmyb wrote:
I've gone through (and still jave most) the hassy, mamiya 645, mamiya c330 (tlr), rz67, Pentax 67, and Contax 645. My next one will probably be a mamiya 7.

My favorites are the hassy with the 50, and rz67 with the 110mm. I think the 80 on the mamiya 7 will also be wonderful for me...

Hi Zalmy-

I'm a bit surprised by your favorites: I love the photos you've posted in the film thread, and if I recall, most were with the Contax 645. I'd have thought the rz67 would be really ungainly given the sort of handheld, unposed, family photography you do. Any more thoughts on what you like or don't like about each camera?

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:07 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Medium-Large Format tips

alwang wrote:
Hi Zalmy-

I'm a bit surprised by your favorites: I love the photos you've posted in the film thread, and if I recall, most were with the Contax 645. I'd have thought the rz67 would be really ungainly given the sort of handheld, unposed, family photography you do. Any more thoughts on what you like or don't like about each camera?

I look back on the photos I shot with the Hassy, and I really like what I see (even though I have grown a lot since then).

I love the waistlevel of the RZ, it's perfect for kids (to be at their level). The bellows system is awesome, and in general looking down and seeing things backwards helps me compose better (it's obvious you are looking at a contained image instead of just a window to the world, which is what most viewfinders feel like).

When I take photos of my kids, generally the first camera I grab is the RZ.

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:26 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Medium-Large Format tips

alwang wrote:
Here's a pic of my 6x7 next to my NEX-5N, at any rate.

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/ef145a2eeca311e195351231381b651f_7.jpg

If the 'best' MF camera award was determined by bashing one camera into another, and then observing which was still functional, you'd have a real contender there!

On a wider philosophic note, I make an effort not to get all caught up in gear dweebery when thinking about MF systems. Leave the Gear Anxiety behind, stuff some film in the thing, and "Just go shoot!"

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:56 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Medium-Large Format tips

That's such a great shot.

I have been thinking about delving into MF myself and was looking at the Pentax 67 II or possibly a Mamiya 7 but not sure I want a rangefinder, or if I do, maybe I want to go with a 6x6 TLR of some sort. I used to play around with these in my high school days, shooting my 5N from the waist is strangely enough what got me thinking about MF again.

So many options

What I really want to know is, what am I in for when it comes to scanning? Drum scans seem prohibitively expensive for routine use, do other machines do justice to MF images?

Oct 27, 2012 at 05:09 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Medium-Large Format tips

What I really want to know is, what am I in for when it comes to scanning? Drum scans seem prohibitively expensive for routine use, do other machines do justice to MF images?

I've scanned more negatives with Epson flatbeds than I'd like to remember. I've made some great prints from files made using the V600 and V750. Recently, I've had a chance to use an Imacon Flextight scanner, which generally costs about $15,000. In some cases, the difference between my flatbed scans and Imacon scan is hard to detect on the surface, and to a point, the Epson scans make life easier because they don't pick up every bit of dust and every scratch in fine detail. There's also less visible grain. Having said that, the Imacon scans have their own strengths, including excellent resolution, autofocusing to ensure that each negative is scanned properly, and good controls. One big advantage to the Imacon is complete flatness of the negative, thanks to the film holder design.

I'm certain I could print at 16x20 (the largest that I personally want to print at, mostly because it uses 17x22 paper, which is the largest size the Epson 3800 series can print with non-roll paper) with scans from the Epson flatbed scanners.

Oct 27, 2012 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password