New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

r-m-g

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

Robert - I just wanted to make sure you understand that this won't replace a cybersync - I don't think you can set remote power for something like an einstein or AB. The buff units, when connected to the PC terminal of a 622 will for sure fire, but you will lose the ability to remotely control power.

You will only be able to control power for a flash that has an ETTL interface and is using that interface on the receiver to get it's instructions. Because you would connect your buff flash via PC, the only information the flash is receiving from these triggers is when to fire, not at what power...

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM
SeedyBee

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

r-m-g: You are correct about the YN-622s not being able to set a power level on studio flashes.

However, a Cybersync Commander can be connected to a YN-622. It can then control the studio flash, and the YN-622 will sync to 1st curtain, 2nd curtain or pre-shutter for the YN "Supersync". (There is no user control on the timing for the flash burn.) Therre are commercial photographers using studio flashes in manual for augmented ambient/rim, and an on-camera hot-shoe flash in E-TTL for subject lighting.

I wrote "The Other YN-622C User Guide", which you may find interesting:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:18 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

SeedyBee wrote:
However, a Cybersync Commander can be connected to a YN-622. It can then control the studio flash, and the YN-622 will sync to 1st curtain, 2nd curtain or pre-shutter for the YN "Supersync". (There is no user control on the timing for the flash burn.) Therre are commercial photographers using studio flashes in manual for augmented ambient/rim, and an on-camera hot-shoe flash in E-TTL for subject lighting.

I wrote "The Other YN-622C User Guide", which you may find interesting:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

thx for the link to "the other user guide" !

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:45 PM
qburke
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

I just got a set of four as well. very happy with them so far, the focus assist grid is wonderful. would be nice if they included 'feet'. my only gripe is that they showed up pre-scratched, saving me the trouble of scratching them myself. I also have a set of the pixel kings and my experience mirrors that of the OP.

Did you peel off the top protective covering? I thought mine were all scratched up, but I later noticed it was a film covering that peeled off and they looked great.

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:50 PM
ronaldmayes

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

Thanks for your overview.

I am thinking of purchasing several of these for outdoor use only. Have you continued to experience reliability outdoors. Can you recall how hot it was (just approx). I ask this because I would plan to use only in the summer.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ron

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:42 PM
jeffguitar

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

I have three of these 622 units and they work great for me as well. I have started shooting just manual, but what is cool is that you can control your flash power from the camera even in manual mode, amazing. No more setting power levels on the back of the flashes, just stand where you are and use the camera menu and set each flash manual power right there. I use YN-565 and a YN-568, love them both as well.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM
jeffguitar

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

Forgot to say, I also have 4 of the manual 603 triggers as well, and since I only have three of the 622's I can only control 2 flashes, but I can put a 603 on top of my 622 and it will fire that off letting me manually control 3 more flashes if I want to. So the 603's can sit right on top the 622 and fire off more flashes manually, very cool. I control my background flash like that while controlling my 565 and 568 using the 622's

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM
gpop
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

qburke wrote:
Did you peel off the top protective covering? I thought mine were all scratched up, but I later noticed it was a film covering that peeled off and they looked great.

well look at that. they do shine when you peel that thing off.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

Great info about the units. I have been looking at a back-up to my skyports that are looking like they need replacement.
I purchased a set of YN-560II flash units. Non ETTL because I only shoot manual anyway. Burned out 2 of my 580II so had to have something fast. Only issue is they don't have any infrared focus assist for very low light.
Do you know if the YN622C would have the focus assist with these or do I need to buy the ETTL model.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

I was using an all Yongnuo strobist set so about 6 YN460IIs, and RF602s for the past year. It was lighter and more manually efficient than bringing actual Canon speedlites. I just ordered a few more 430EXIIs and a set of YN622Cs in order to have full TTL on a mobile speedlite setup. I'm very excited to see how everything works.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:31 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

RobertLynn wrote:
I think I found a downside to these units, but I'm not sure.
It looks like you wouldn't be able to use these on studio strobe, or could you use the pc sync for that?

You can use them with the studio strobes via pc sync. You just need the cables. I have the Pixel Kings as well and they work pretty good but the 622c blow them away. I just use the cables that came with the Kings for the strobes.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:48 PM
jeffguitar

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

ETTL model? They are all ettl, there is only one model. They do manual and ettl, and yes, they have great focus assists lights, worth it just for that lone to me.

jefferies1 wrote:
Great info about the units. I have been looking at a back-up to my skyports that are looking like they need replacement.
I purchased a set of YN-560II flash units. Non ETTL because I only shoot manual anyway. Burned out 2 of my 580II so had to have something fast. Only issue is they don't have any infrared focus assist for very low light.
Do you know if the YN622C would have the focus assist with these or do I need to buy the ETTL model.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM
DimaVazinovich
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

the 622 are awesome i just 4 of those ,
i have a question , i dunno why but i doesnt feel safe to me to put the flash on the trigger hotshoe , where can i get some sync cords ? i tried searching ebay and got no resaults
im using speedlights

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:31 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

Is there firmware upgrade capability ?.

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:34 AM
Obi-Wan

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

Thanks for all the info.

From the Other User's Guide, I see that the hot shoe mount can only handle a 6V trigger voltage from the flash. That's a real shame for those of us who use some older, manual flashes. Even support for 12V would help for my stable of Vivitar 283's. I see that the PC sync port can handle 300V, but many of these older flashes do not have PC jacks.

Can the 622's be used as shutter triggers? I.e, can a cable run from the PC port on the 622 down to the 3-pin cable release port on the camera body so that I can trip the shutter remotely?

The OUG implies that the rechargeable NiMH we all use in our flashes are poorly suited for use in the 622. That kind of sucks, since using rechargeables is one of my main reasons for switching triggers. What's been everyone's experience with this? How will do NiMH batteries work with 622's?

Apr 03, 2013 at 12:43 PM
gpop
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

as far as I know there is no user firmware update capability.

I've used many brands of cheapie rechargeables without any issues.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:24 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

Good deal thanks for the info.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

YN 622's. Rock!

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:32 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

DimaVazinovich wrote:
...where can i get some sync cords ? i tried searching ebay and got no resaults ...im using speedlights

You can use any brand of PC cord for sync-only, if your speedlight has a pc socket.

If you don't have a PC socket, or if you want to retain iTTL/ETTL capability, then you'll need an "off-camera shoe cord" like one of these:

For Nikon: http://flashzebra.com/products/0244/index.shtml

For Canon: http://flashzebra.com/products/0122/index.shtml

I used to suggest the more expensive Nikon-brand cable for Nikon users because it has a built-in focus-assist lamp, but since the YN-622C/N has its own FA light there's no more need for the Nikon-brand one; I've used both short and long (22-foot) Flash Zebra ETTL cords for several years now, and they've performed flawlessly.

For connecting my bracket-mounted Speedlite to the on-camera YN-622C transmitter I'll use my short ETTL cord, but for the remote Speedlites I have no worries about putting them right in the YN-622C receivers' shoes.

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger

jefferies1 wrote:
...I purchased a set of YN-560II flash units. Non ETTL because I only shoot manual anyway. ...Do you know if the YN622C would have the focus assist with these or do I need to buy the ETTL model.

The YN-622C's AF Assist lamp should work with ETTL flash, non-ETTL flash, or even no flash at all attached.

I have four YN-622Cs at the moment, and the AF light on one of them is aimed a little better than the others for the range I use it at most, so I use that one as my on-camera transmitter.

It projects a really nice grid pattern of thin crosses that are quite bright.

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.