New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

I have been using the canon 5d mark 3 for a few weeks. I love it. Today I went to Boston and as soon as I took the first shot the LCD read er 30. ( which means error 30 ).

The camera does record the photo.....but then the LCD reads that er 30 message for several seconds and if you half press the shutter or turn the camera on and then off again and review the image it's there.

The LCD tells you to remove the battery and put it back in and power the camera off and try that. Sometimes it worked....sometimes it didn't. I would say 80% of the time it read er 30.

I tried two different CF cards. It didn't help.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I guess I will have to call canon tech support.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Tom, try another lens and see you still get the same error code.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8194.0

Error codes shared by nearly all EOS digital SLR bodies include…

Err 01: Lens to body communication error
The camera to lens communication is somehow being interfered with… could be a problem within the lens itself, possibly the camera body, or something as simple as a smudged fingerprint on the lens mount contacts.

Err 02: Memory card error
There is a problem with communication between the camera and memory card (again, could be within the camera, or the card), or the camera has detected a different error of some sort with the card.

Err 04: Card Full
The camera detects that no space is available for image storage on the memory card… this could be a simple matter of the card literally reaching its capacity, or perhaps some sort of card error where space on the card is not being seen as “available” by the camera.

Err 05: Built-in flash obstruction
The camera detects that the built-in flash has not reached its normal, raised position for flash shooting, and is halting operation until the obstruction to the flash is cleared, or the flash is pushed back down to its OFF position. This error message won’t appear on cameras like the EOS 5D series, which have no built-in flash.

Err 06: Self-cleaning sensor malfunction
The sequence of events during the self-cleaning process is not being detected as completed.

Err 10: File malfunction
Some sort of error in files written (or attempted to be written) to the memory card has been detected.

Err 20: Mechanical malfunction
Within the mirror, shutter or aperture mechanism (most likely), some sort of disturbance, error or lock-up has been detected. This error code doesn’t specify where the exact problem is, but points to the cause being mechanical rather than an electronic gremlin.

Err 30: Shutter malfunction
Unlike Error 20, this one does point to some sort of problem with the shutter… it could be either a mechanical problem, or some sort of electronic communication error.

Err 40: Power source malfunction
An internal error in getting power from the battery to some part of the camera has been detected. Most likely, it’s not a simple weak battery, although of course a battery error is a possibility.

Err 50: Electronic control malfunction
Unlike Error 20, which points to something mechanical, this one reports to the photographer that some sort of electronic error or interference with internal communication is occurring. However, it does not specify any further what or where the exact source of the malfunction may be.

Err 70: Image malfunction
Something related to the data being captured and/or written to the memory card is detected as being problematic in some way… this may not be a simple memory card error, although of course that can’t be ruled out.

Err 80: Electronic control or image malfunction

Err 99: A system malfunction has been detected

Err 09: SYSTEM
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs when the CAMERA self-checking system processing time has exceeded the specified limit. This error can occur when several switches are pressed at the same time.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Because this error is caused by abnormal operation, try releasing the error by turning the main power switch OFF and then back ON.

ERR 22: CF DRIVER
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs when image data cannot be written to the CF card. This error can occur when the CF card is not fully seated in the camera or if the D30 does not detect a card-ready signal within a specified time limit or when the CF card is not usable because it has been corrupted or physically damaged. It can also occur when the camera's battery level is insufficient to completely write the file to the CF card.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Use the DC Coupler or recharge the battery first. If the error continues to occur with sufficient power available to the camera, check that the CF card is properly inserted. If that's not the problem, then try replacing the CF card. If that does not solve the problem, have the CAMERA and one of the CF cards that is causing the problem examined by a qualified service technician.

ERR 23: NO SPACE LEFT ON THE CF CARD
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs when the CF card's free space is insufficient for the image file that has been created. For example, when using a nearly full CF card, if a long exposure is made with noise reduction shut off, the file size may become larger than average, resulting in insufficient space to write the file.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Use a CF card with sufficient free space.

ERR 50: CF FORMAT
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs when the CF card cannot be formatted in the camera.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Replace the CF card.

ERR 51: PLAY MODE
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs when the images stored on the CF card cannot be played back in the camera.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Replace the CF card.

ERR 80: SHUTTER
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs in the following conditions.
When the CAMERA self-check system detects that the shutter has not been fully charged (ready to shoot).
When the CAMERA self-check system detects that the shutter operation sequence has not been completed correctly.
When the built-in flash cannot be recharged after the E-TTL preflash but before the main exposure.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Try clearing the error by turning the main power switch OFF and then back ON.

ERR 81: MIRROR
When the CAMERA shutter release is pressed to the halfway position and the mirror-down status cannot be verified by the CAMERA self-checking system.
When mirror up/down status cannot be detected during shutter release.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Have the CAMERA examined by a qualified service technician.

ERR 82: STROBE
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs when the built-in flash cannot be charged.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Try clearing the error by turning the main power switch OFF and then back ON.

ERR 83: POP UP
DESCRIPTION: This error occurs when the built-in flash's pop-up operation cannot be detected even after the pop-up operations have been repeated three times.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Try clearing the error by turning the main power switch OFF and then back ON. (NOTE: The CAMERA can be used with an EX-series Speedlite and/or with an electronic flash connected through the PC socket even when the built-in flash is unavailable.)

ERR 84: LENS COMMMUNICATION
When electronic communication with the lens cannot be established, after the CAMERA is powered ON or when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
When the lens diaphragm cannot be controlled during shutter release.
REMEDIAL MEASURE: Clean the electronic contacts on the lens with a clean, soft, dry cloth and check the mount interface switch on the body's lens mount for dirt or other damage. If this does not solve the problem, try another Canon EF lens or have the CAMERA examined by a qualified service technician.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Wow. Thanks very much mttran. I'll try another lens tomorrow. I will report back my results.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

This hapenned on my 7d and a friend's 7d. Turn the camera upside down, and give it a slap, it may fix it! It did mine and his for a whole wedding!

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My father would say smack the TV on the side and the picture would come back on nice and clear.

Thanks for the advice but I'm looking for a permanent trustworthy fix.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

mttran wrote:
Tom, try another lens and see you still get the same error code.

Today I tried another lens. Still get the error code 30. Unbelievable. I buy a brand new Canon 5D Mark 3 use it lightly for a few weeks and now it doesn't work. This is an outrage.

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Tom, I feel your pain. No matter the device there is always a failure rate. Manufacturers shoot for this to be a very small percentage of production. Sounds like you were the lucky one. I am sure Canon will make good on this. Where did you buy the unit?

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Gregory Edge wrote:
Where did you buy the unit?

Adorama.

Oct 14, 2012 at 02:31 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Tom K. wrote:
Reminds me of when I was a kid. My father would say smack the TV on the side and the picture would come back on nice and clear.

Thanks for the advice but I'm looking for a permanent trustworthy fix.

It's broken anyways, at this point your not losing anything by giving it a good slap. Believe it or not, it's actually quite a common "fix" for the 7d. The true cause of the fault is a broken solder connection for the shutter mechanism. You have no choice now but to send it in to Canon anyways :-)

Oct 14, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

You need two threads for your problem?

Oct 14, 2012 at 02:42 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark iii - error 30

Monito wrote:
You need two threads for your problem?

They address two different situations.

Oct 14, 2012 at 03:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.