Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

KibblesNbitz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Hey everybody!

I've never spent much time in the Canon forum until just recently, and never posted at all, so I figure an introduction is a good idea. I'm a professional wedding photographer and I do nature and landscape photography in my spare time. I've admittedly been a Nikon user and fanboy for years. I still love Nikon cameras, and feel their sensors are a little ahead of Canons lately (especially with shadow noise), but regardless, I still plan on switching...

Why? Well, I figured I would list it out for you. I know how rare these genuine and insightful types of threads can be, so I wanted to document why as I always enjoyed reading this type of input from other photographers on switching to either brand.

Now, I'm really not looking for you to help me decide, or push me to switch to Canon. Frankly, I'm a pro....I know what I NEED and I know what I WANT, and I know what I have to do to get it. I don't intend that to be rude, I'm simply saying that I don't need anyone to hold my hand about it. That being said, I welcome your opinions and thoughts!

I currently use a D3s with a D700 as backup with a 24-70, 70-200 VR2, and 50 1.4G. My plan for Canon is to get a 1DX, with a 5d2 as a backup camera. I may eventually replace it with a 5d3, but frankly, I don't ever intend to use the 5d2 or 5d3 unless the fecal matter hits the fan with the 1DX. I only use one body when I shoot as I find it easier and more comfortable, and I don't intend to ever use more than one body at once. Just not my style. Therefore, the 5d2/5d3 will live its life almost entirely in my camera bag, likely seeing very little use.

As for lenses, I will start with a 35L, a 70-200 2.8 IS ii, and a 17-40L. They will soon be followed by a 45 TSE, 24L, and an 85 of some kind. I've always been a prime guy (besides the 70-200, which is a real moneymaker/dependable lens). A 24-70 bores me to death, I have a Nikon 24-70, and I hate it,...cant wait to get rid of it. Hence the 35L...

Now, the reasons for the switch...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Autofocus: What can I say? Canon finally got their act together with autofocus. The 1DX and 5d3 have excellent autofocus, a large step ahead of the nightmares I heard of before the latest generation was out. Frankly, the poor autofocus is one of the main reasons I avoided Canon in the first place. Glad to see its now running with the top of the class!

-Spot AF: Now, I've never used it, and I don't know how well this works, so this is a minor sub-point of the above, but I can imagine spot AF being incredibly helpful. Hopefully its as nice as it seems.

-All Around All-Star: I love that the 1DX is a great all around camera, that does everything well. Frankly, I just want a camera that I can take with me everywhere and not feel out of place or in want of something else with it. 18 MP is absolutely perfect, and offers great resolution without going overboard. I don't usually print anything besides albums, so I don't need huge amounts of resolution, which only leads to needing more cards to cover a single wedding. Also, I love that it takes two CF cards. The high ISO performance is also great, about equal with the D4, which is also a great step forward. I love the full, pro body and its ergonomics.

-D800/600?: Now, you may be asking why not get a D800 or a D600. Besides the reasons I'm going to list below...the D800 has too much resolution for my tastes. I simply don't need that many megapixels and the usage requirements that come with it, especially when I only print albums at most. The D600 is a non-starter for me, and I cant even consider it. This is due to the fact that its missing the AF-ON button, the crippled shutter speed (even though it has ISO 100) , and the lower build quality/small size. The biggest reason for not considering both is that I simply like the full pro body too much. The ergonomics on a D4/1 Series Canon are great, and I just cant lose that when I use the camera as often as I do. Even with a battery grip, its just not the same. Also, the weather sealing and ruggedness of a 1 Series is something I really need. I've been in absolute downpours during weddings, and I was able to keep shooting and get amazing pictures because I wasn't afraid to get a little wet. It's simply something I need. It may sound stupid, but its important when using it as much as I will be.

-Lens Selection: I really overlooked this when I chose Nikon. Canon simply has an amazing selection of lenses, offering many options that Nikon simply doesn't have or doesn't match. Mainly the 135L, 17-40L, wide range of Macro lenses, and TSE Tilt Shift lenses. That bring me to the next item...

-Lens Prices: Wow. Canon lenses are almost always much cheaper than the Nikon variants. I dismissed this as not being a big deal when I was with Nikon, but man, $500 to $1,000 difference between lenses really adds up when you're buying a large amount of lenses. I love how Canon still offers rather generous instant rebates on lenses and cameras. Hopefully they don't go the way of the Nikon and start using MAP pricing. I've been doing the math, and if it wasn't for the 1DX costing way more than a D3s, I'd end up making money on the switch to Canon.

-TSE Lenses: Man, the Canon tilt shift lenses make me drool. They offer great performance and a great price. I love the fact I can get a well performing 45 TSE for around $900 used. I don't claim to be an expert on tilt/shift lenses, but I've always read the Nikon offerings were rather lacking in performance and price compared to the Canon versions. Either way, I'm excited for these.

-Canon Colors: This is one of, if not the, biggest reason for the switch. I simply love Canon colors and skin tones. Now, I know you can change the profile of any camera to look like a Canon, but to me, I can still tell the difference. I mainly photograph people obviously, so the skin tones are a big deal. I understand I can get it close in post production, but frankly, I'd rather have the Canon colors right out of the box. This is a business after all, not a hobby where I have infinite time to fiddle with presets and color adjustments. Canon simply gets it right in my view. Oh yeah, I absolutely LOVE the Canon greens. Call me crazy, but I can almost always tell which images were shot on a Canon (provided the colors from a Nikon have'nt been modified to resemble a Canon, and even then, I can usually still tell)

-600RTs: The new Canon speedlites are a big plus for me. Having wireless radio functionality built in will be greatly helpful for receptions, and the ST3 commander is sweet. I'll still use manual off camera flashes for a while, but they will soon be replaced with 600RT's. Now, I know Nikon will very likely release something similar in the future, but frankly, I live and work in the present, what may or may not be released in the future does not help me. The 600's aren't a huge deal....I've been doing just fine with my SB-910 and manual off camera flash.....but it will definitely be helpful and one less thing to worry about.

-Service: Now, I'm not so excited about having to pay for CPS, but the Canon Service is a big deal to me. In fact, its one of the biggest plusses for my switch to Canon. Why? Well, one of Canon's service centers is in Jamesburg, NJ. Thats literally 15-20 minutes max from me. Being able to drop off and pick up my CPS service/repairs will be a HUGE benefit. I understand it will still take a few days for repairs regardless, but the 1 or 2 days I would normally lose in shipping is a big deal when I'm bouncing back and forth with photoshoots/weddings. It'll be nice to drop off a camera or lens for a quick cleaning though. I hear CPS gives a discount on 1DX's (on the platinum level I think), which would be great to take advantage of. Unfortunately, in order to switch to get into platinum CPS I need to have the 50 points, which I won't have unless I get the 1DX. So, I cant get the discounted 1DX because I need the 1DX to get the discount. Womp womp womp.....Oh well, I'm still excited about having a repair center local to me!

and lastly...

-I feel like it: I can, and I feel like there's tangible benefits to be had for my shooting. Call me crazy, but I can do it, and I want to, so I will

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, thats that.....I'm excited for the switch! Unfortunately, I won't be able to switch for at least another 2 to 3 weeks as I have a few photoshoots lined up, and I wouldn't be able to get all the gear together by then, plus I'd rather use a system I know for the last few shoots of the year. After early November I'm rather clear (off season) so that should be a great time to get to know the 1DX (and the 5d2,...I guess ) and get acquainted with the Canon system.

If anybody sees any glaring issues with my logic, feel free to discuss! I think I've laid everything out logically and rationally Hopefully I don't get attacked too bad by fanboys from either end haha...

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:29 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #2 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

All new Canon lenses are more expensive than Nikon's. Canon new bodies more expensive too. Canon wants to charge premium. I think your switch will not make any difference when it comes to the end result, but obviously you have a content to share:-)

Oct 13, 2012 at 05:53 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Canon guy for 3+ decades here so no issues. I'm not a fan of the mp race of more is best/better. I'd like a body much like the 5D3 or the 1DX with say 12mp sensor; much like the 5Dc on 1D Mark II N, but with the high ISO capabilities of the current 20+/18mp beasties.

I know, I'm nuts, can hear all the naysayers, but seeing images side by side, those huge pixels just look better/cleaner at lower ISO's, add the gapless, backlit tech and...well I'd like it.

Move to canon, but I'd seriously consider the 5D3, I'm not sure you'd want the older AF and if your 1DX ever hiccuped, for what ever reason, the switch over would be pretty painless I'd think....in the middle of a big payday...would you really risk the missed shot, possible cluster flock of not providing your best product/effort, your rep, not to mention the wedding party's precious moments...as a PRO.

As for an ultra wide, wouldn't a 16-35 f2.8 II be best, the 17-40 is a great little lens, I'm stoked with mine, but wouldn't you need/use that extra stop...and sharp corners?

Only two weddings shot here, non paid, no flash, all natural light...slow zooms, not that fun or productive...was glad to be 2nd shooter.

Don't cheap on the glass, the 16-35 II, a few fast primes and the 70-200 II seem like a pretty good bet...if I were pro

Enjoy your switch, Canon glass kicks arse!
Jerry

Oct 13, 2012 at 05:55 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

I shoot with both systems, mainly because as a wildlife photographer the long glass is easier to buy used and cheaper with Canon. Plus there is more variety to choose from with Canon long glass.

Other than that, I clearly find that the Nikon/Sony sensors are much better. Even so I really like the tonality that come from a MKIII sensor.
Each system has it's advantages and disadvantages. I am glad you are excited and perhaps that will translate into you everyday use of Canon equipment. However, honestly, I don't see the reason for you enthusiasm. Each system is quite capable and a complete switch is not really worth the hassle - at least for me. I guess it all depends on how valuable your time is. I am a consultant in the pharmaceutical industry and if I spend a lot of time selling and shipping cameras and then buying more equipment, ultimately all that activity begins to impact my time.

Moreover, I have had a very difficult time finding what I'd call a "normal" zoom. Here is a copy paste from a previous post:

"My own personal story has been a mixed bag. I have been unable to find a good Canon zoom in the 24-70 range. After several attempts and returned lenses I was not able to get a sharp copy of the 24-70; one failed attempt with a 24-105 and finally a returned 28-70. I have given up. The 5DII has performed well with my Canon long glass and alt lenses, but I am not happy with the 5DII shadow performance or the lack of a good standard zoom (at least for me). I will not pay the absurd 24-70II price."

I spent so much time looking for a good Canon 24-xxmm, that recently I decided the cost in terms of my time for me was too high, and concluded that buying another D700 and a 24-70 Nikkor was the way to go.

It's not all a bed of roses here in Canon land, just as it isn't in Nikon land. Good luck.

Oct 13, 2012 at 06:19 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Hmmm... The TSE45 is often considered to be not all that good, the "worst" out of all the TSE lenses.

I noticed that you're planning to get mostly prime lenses. Is it a good idea to use only one body with mostly prime lenses? Especially in a wedding.

I'd also question the decision to get 5D2 as backup. If you like state of the art AF, you're gonna have a REAL bad day when you're forced to use the 5D2.

Oct 13, 2012 at 06:40 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

galenapass wrote:
Moreover, I have had a very difficult time finding what I'd call a "normal" zoom. Here is a copy paste from a previous post:

"My own personal story has been a mixed bag. I have been unable to find a good Canon zoom in the 24-70 range. After several attempts and returned lenses I was not able to get a sharp copy of the 24-70; one failed attempt with a 24-105 and finally a returned 28-70. I have given up. The 5DII has performed well with my Canon long glass and alt lenses, but I am not happy with the 5DII
...Show more

Then clearly you haven't tried the Mark II version of that lens . Yes, it is expensive but what a lens, what a lens. BTW, I had two copies of the original 24-70mm and a copy of the 24-105mm and they all performed just fine. I realize though that there is a copy-to-copy variation and mine happened to be exemplary, I guess.

FYI, I had both Canon and Nikon, including a D700 and a bunch of Nikkor pro lenses, including the 24-70mm and I agree whole-heartedly with this:

galenapass wrote:
It's not all a bed of roses here in Canon land, just as it isn't in Nikon land.

Oct 13, 2012 at 06:46 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #7 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

I'm a pro wedding photographer too. I tried a preproduction 1dx but the loud shutter wasn't to my tastes, but that's a personal point.

Personally, in your position, I'd buy 2 5d3s and run them simultaneously.

Here's my review in case it helps:
http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/index.php/2012/05/canon-5diii-for-weddings/

Realistically, whether you choose that or a 1dx you'll be very happy. The 5d3 is a mini 1dx and they're both incredible.

On the lens front, consider the 16-35. It is overall a nicer lens and has a much more attractive starburst when shooting into the sun..

Oct 13, 2012 at 07:30 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #8 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Just a thought about shutter noise. Does the 1dx have the same quiet mode as the 5D III? If not, you might find that a backup 5D III doesn't have to spend all its time idle.

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:25 PM
francishmt
• • •
p.1 #9 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

KibblesNbitz wrote:
-Canon Colors: This is one of, if not the, biggest reason for the switch. I simply love Canon colors and skin tones. Now, I know you can change the profile of any camera to look like a Canon, but to me, I can still tell the difference. I mainly photograph people obviously, so the skin tones are a big deal. I understand I can get it close in post production, but frankly, I'd rather have the Canon colors right out of the box. This is a business after all, not a hobby where I have infinite time to fiddle with
...Show more

I can totally relate to this color difference. Skin tone is better with Canon, in my view.

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:41 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #10 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Thanks for the thoughts so far! I'm replying from my phone which is a little dofficult, so hopefully I dont miss anything...

-I realize Canon is just as expensive or even more expensive lately. I'm okay with that, I was spending lots of money on Nikon anyway, so no loss there. I'm even okay enough with paying a little more. Not happy, but I'll take what i can get.

-The 17-40 would be more for personal use. I'd really only have a use for it at the reception, and when I'm covering a reception I'm usually at f/5.6 or so, so no loss without the 2.8. I'm usually all about 2.8 or faster glass, I just dont see the need right now.

-As for the TSE 45 not being that great....I'm okay with that. With this lens I'm not so concerned with sharpness/performance, its rather inconsequential for what I want to do with it. I dont intend to use it for landscapes, so no love lost there

-As for using primes with one body....I never had a problem before I had all my zooms. Honestly with the belt system I often use, switching primes is incredibly simple. I've had plenty of experience with the timing and flow of weddings, I think I'll handle it just fine

-I understand the 5d2 has horrible AF, but I'm sure Ill still be able to get perfectly fine results with it. I know plenty of colleagues that did perfectly fine with 5d2's for years. I'll test it out when I get it, and if I really need to, I can pick up a 5d3, or even another 1DX.

-As far as the 1DX being loud, I'm not all too concerned with it, I can see why it would be an issue for other photographers though...

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jstntym
• •
p.1 #11 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

KibblesNbitz wrote:
-I understand the 5d2 has horrible AF, but I'm sure Ill still be able to get perfectly fine results with it. I know plenty of colleagues that did perfectly fine with 5d2's for years. I'll test it out when I get it, and if I really need to, I can pick up a 5d3, or even another 1DX.

Fortunately, when you're getting ready to make the switch over, with the drop in the 5D MkIII prices as of late, you may get it for what the 5D MkII used to command. Check some of the great deals from threads here lately!

Oct 13, 2012 at 02:23 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Of all the reasons you listed for switching, only the workflow savings from the OOC color differences and proximity to a Canon service center seem compelling. Since you're already using your Nikon D3s for high-volume shooting (weddings), have you not already worked out your entire workflow, including your color workflow? How much time savings in that workflow are you anticipating by using a 1DX? How often have you needed to have your Nikon body serviced?

Oct 13, 2012 at 02:34 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #13 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Light_pilgrim wrote:
All new Canon lenses are more expensive than Nikon's. Canon new bodies more expensive too. Canon wants to charge premium. I think your switch will not make any difference when it comes to the end result, but obviously you have a content to share:-)

+1..

I long for the cheaper days... but they are gone.

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Lan11
• •
p.1 #14 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

"I long for the cheaper days... but they are gone."

I long for the currencies which sustained their value longer..... but these days are gone too.
But don't worry will will have more - that is:
- more price hikes accross the board
- more debt accumulation
- more foodstamps
- more hype and hard sell.

As they say: "The more the better. Too much is wonderful." : -)))

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:07 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #15 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

I just had an unexpected check show up for a few hundred dollars.

...I think it's a sign from the Canon gods lol!

Oct 14, 2012 at 03:20 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #16 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Personally, in your position, I'd buy 2 5d3s and run them simultaneously.

I agree. I think a 1DX offers negligible benefits (for a wedding photographer) over a 5D3.

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:49 AM
milkod2001

p.1 #17 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Moving to Canon won't help you as much as you think. If you are after better IQ you need primes: Nikon's 24/35/85/200 and maybe Zeiss 100MP. Have a look at sample images from Nikon D800E and Canon 5Dmk3. D800E images have that WOW effect, DR and overall look is just fantastic. I don't get that from 5Dmk3 at all.
If D800E has too many MP for you then you could be more then happy with D4.

best think would be to rent D4 and 1Dx to see what serves you better,before doing blind switch.

It's all up to you, do whatever you want

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

I made the switch several years ago due to the lens, & color palette you refer to... I drool for the High Mpix resolution (D800) for landscape, but don't NEED it... I will upgrade soon (Christmas) and it looks like a 1Dx could be it... Thanks for sharing...

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM
rxgolf
• • •
p.1 #19 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

Honestly, I will first admit to being a bit of a Nikon fanboy, having shot a D3s more than any other body in my life. I have owned the D4 and the d800, and they are both capable of producing some great files. With photography not being my primary source of income, possibly I view my camera as less of a tool and more of source of enjoyment. Therefore, while insisting on making the best files I can, it is also very important to me to enjoy my equipment, and Nikon has had the qualities that I have most enjoyed. While Nikon does not have the extensive choices of lenses available from Canon, most of my shots are taken from the 24-70 and the 70-200, and both were fine performers. In addition to being fine performers, the Nikon lenses in my opinion just seem to have a little better fit and finished feel to them, which takes me to my loved D3s which seemed so solid in my hands. The Nikon system simply felt like it was built a little better than the 1D bodies I owned, so when combined with the low light and consistent focus capability of the D3s, that was my preferred system. Naturally I was very excited when my D4 arrived, but honestly it seemed to have lost just a tiny bit of what made the D3s so great to me. I will keep this brief, but while it made great files, the feel had changed. The buttons and switches did not seem quite as solid, and most of all I was missing some shots due to focus issues that I felt I should have nailed.
That took me to the 1DX and then to your post. While some have commented and given real reasons why they don't really believe your plan is the perfect path for you, after shooting the 1DX for about a month I believe you will be VERY happy with the path you have chosen. The 1DX is the best feeling and the best performing body I have ever shot with. The focus capabilities and ability to properly meter in tough situations is amazing. And this body oozes quality when you pick it up. The files are all one could ask for from a 18mp sensor. I have printed regularly at 16x20, and have sold a 40x60 metal print and they all are just excellent.
My advice would be to execute your plan. I think you will be thrilled with your decision. I still don't like the white paint on those lenses, but the 1DX sure makes them perform :-).
Good luck,
Greg

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:11 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #20 · Why I'm switching to Canon...(From Nikon)

There was a video review by a Canadian (I believe from Toronto) comparing

the D4 and 1DX. A long-time wedding photographer he was switching

to Canon for the better color and AF accuracy. His professional partner was

a long-time Canon user. He gave a thorough review. Sorry can't remember the

name. If I find it, will post it.

Definitely get the 5D3 as a backup. I have used the 5D2, 5D3, 1D4 & 7D.

5D2 is great for stationary subjects but it will drive you nuts in my opinion

if you suddenly switch to from the 1DX during a wedding. Interested

to see how your plan works out.

The Canadian wedding photographer referred to above is Matthew Boyce.

Oct 14, 2012 at 02:32 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password