Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Problem with Classic Topcon

Mike Letour
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Problem with Classic Topcon

I picked up a Topcon Wink S Mirror last week (leaf shutter), and I cannot get the 53mm F2 Topcor UV lens off. The original directions, which I found online, gives the following instructions:

"Press the lens locking lever, which will disengage the lens locking system. Rotate the lens counter-clockwise until it stops, release pressure on the lens locking lever and continue rotation until it makes a full stop again. Then lift it out gently."

Pressing the locking lever works, but after that first quarter turn, releasing the locking lever does dot allow it to continue. What gives? I have tried just about every possible combination of pressing, releasing and wiggling, with no luck at all. I am fairly mechanical, but I didn't want to dig in until I asked around.

Thanks

Oct 10, 2012 at 04:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Problem with Classic Topcon

Hi Mike,

I have a focal plane shutter Topcon uni with what is probably the same lens. Mine comes off easily. I don't have to push, rotate, release, and rotate; I simply push, rotate, and off it comes. It rotates less than 45 degrees between locked and removal orientations. It's very much like a Kodak Retina DKL mount, which can have problems if the aperture control tab thing is out of place or out of shape. I had a Retina that would let the aperture ring rotate all the way around. It was a pain to get it working right. OTOH, my Topcon is built like a precision tank, and it weighs like a tank, too. Try futzing around with the aperture setting, while you try to take the lens off.

Cheers, Jim

Oct 10, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Mike Letour
• •
p.1 #3 · Problem with Classic Topcon

Yes, it's the same lens. Unfortunately, it just won't come off the camera. Thanks for the suggestions. I tried every aperture setting.
Mike

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:08 AM
wilt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Problem with Classic Topcon

Yes, I own an original Beseler Topcon Auto 100 from my early teens. The lens should be very simple to remove...

press the lever momentarily, to permit lens to begin turning counterclockwise (you can release lever almost immediately after starting to twist the lens on the mount).
Rotate until it stops (about 60 degrees), pull lens out of the mount.

To help you with familiarization, here is a photo of both the back of the lens (on right), and also the front of the mount (body side) which in this case is actually a telextender (on left). The 12 o'clock position of both is near the top of the photo (the telextender should be about 20 degrees more CCW than it is in the photo, when the two are seated and locked). You can see the two travel stop pins in the body side of the mount; only one of the two rotational control levers on the body side is visible (one hidden from view)

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password