Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

WebDog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

Not sure if this is an common knowledge... I just read a review of the new Mk2 teles and it appears that Canon has removed the protective glass that used to be first in line for abuse and scratches. So now when you get dirt and scratches it's on the real thing (optical lens).

It will cost a wee bit more to replace than the plain glass Still shaved a few grammes of the weight tought

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:25 PM
fraga
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

It was discussed at the time they were announced.
It removes weight from where it matters the most: the front of the lens, therefore affecting (favorably) the center of gravity, making them feel lighter than they are.

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

I just put cling wrap over the hood, and now dirt is literally trampolined away

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

It'll be OK if you're a CPS member.

I figure anybody who snags a Mk II super-tele should get honorary CPS membership. CMMV.*

* Canon's mileage may vary.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:38 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

can't recall the last time I saw a post where someone had to replace the front protective glass in one of these big whites!

As far as I am concerned, shaving off ~2lbs is the best idea since "IS" was introduced by Canon!

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:41 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

A big step would be to fill the spaces in the lens barrel with hydrogen gas, or evacuate it. Or attach helium balloons the hood.

Db

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

Doctorbird wrote:
A big step would be to fill the spaces in the lens barrel with hydrogen gas...

Can you spell Zeppelin? Ka Boom!

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

WebDog wrote:
Not sure if this is an common knowledge... I just read a review of the new Mk2 teles and it appears that Canon has removed the protective glass that used to be first in line for abuse and scratches. So now when you get dirt and scratches it's on the real thing (optical lens).

It will cost a wee bit more to replace than the plain glass Still shaved a few grammes of the weight tought

First every lens is "optical" even the glass element is a part of the optical formula. The front element on MKII lenses has a tough hydrophobic coating, it is tougher than the old glass element.

With the front hood which is quite deep attached it is extremely unlikely to get dirt or scratches on the front element anyway.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

speedmaster20d wrote:
First every lens is "optical" even the glass element is a part of the optical formula. The front element on MKII lenses has a tough hydrophobic coating, it is tougher than the old glass element.

With the front hood which is quite deep attached it is extremely unlikely to get dirt or scratches on the front element anyway.

I'm scared to touch mine, what do you suggest for cleaning the new front elements with the hydrophobic coating?

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

I use a blower usually. if there are spots l use standard lens cloth. These lenses are made tough and can take a lot of punishment I wouldn't worry too much.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

artsupreme wrote:
I'm scared to touch mine, what do you suggest for cleaning the new front elements with the hydrophobic coating?

Tee shirt or undies if you have a high enough waist band or enjoy self inflicted wedgies.
http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smilielol.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

artsupreme wrote:

(1) Rocket blower after every lens use, and before any other cleaning method.
(2) Canon micro fibre lens cloth if you can get those......CPS usually gives them out for free.
If not, Leica lenscloths are fairly good.
(3) Your regular optician's lens cleaning fluid for easy and light cleaning jobs.
(4) ROR for tougher spots.
(5) Broad tipped Lenspen for those times when even ROR would leave smears or a residue film.
Make absolutely sure the Lenspen tip is clean and free of any hard particulates.
Do not use recycled $7 lenspens on a $11,000 lens.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Saving weight on super teles Mk2

PetKal wrote:
(1) Rocket blower after every lens use, and before any other cleaning method.
(2) Canon micro fibre lens cloth if you can get those......CPS usually gives them out for free.
If not, Leica lenscloths are fairly good.
(3) Your regular optician's lens cleaning fluid for easy and light cleaning jobs.
(4) ROR for tougher spots.
(5) Broad tipped Lenspen for those times when even ROR would leave smears or a residue film.
Make absolutely sure the Lenspen tip is clean and free of any hard particulates.
Do not use recycled $7 lenspens on a $11,000 lens.

Thanks, sounds like I'll treat it just like the little 200/2 and 300/2.8IS

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password