New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Camranger

RonR2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camranger

Does anyone have or use the Camranger with their I-Pad? Ease of use? Worth the money?

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camranger

it sounds like a good idea but i stay away from dedicated hardware devices. if it does not function under multiple OS's and their matching hardware its limiting.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:08 AM
RonR2
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camranger

Thank You. Was seriously thinking of getting one to use for flower photography.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:13 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camranger

if your world is applecentric that is fine. i won an ipad 3 a few month ago and as a tool i find it to be limiting without adding to it substantially. i equate it to be like a slot machine disguised as a notepad.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:28 AM
jackus

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camranger

RonR2,
Stopped by their booth at the PhotoExpo in NYC Friday, Oct 26th. Really liked it. If I get one I will let you know my feelings with it. As I do a lot of HDR, including sunrises/sunsets and I like to get 5-7 exposures per shot (usually 6-7 shots), I have to move as quickly as I can, as the sun rises and sets very quickly and the ambient light follows suit. I believe the CamRanger allows me to set as many exposures (shots) in as many time increments as I desire.....so I guess I am an applecentric

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camranger

i was there too. if you are setting up for a sunrise or sunset and you "need to move as quickly as you can" you were not prepared to do the job to begin with. the product itself is a good idea but it needs to go crossplatform as there are considerably more capable devices out there to work with. it being applecentric just limits them not me. that will change though.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:30 AM
jackus

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camranger

One of the reasons I subscribe to forums is to learn from others; including how to improve my technique and my workflow. I am absolutely open to your (as well as others') suggestions and hints regarding improving my preparation and workflow regarding this particular shooting scenario. I'm shooting a Canon 7D, tripod mounted, remote shutter release and ofter mirror lock. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camranger

the concept of workflow is fluid to begin with. you need to go to a location and experience it a as many times as it takes while shooting it from point 0 of experience. there is no magic formula that will get you to your personal "best" on the first try. like most things in life it's learn as you work.

first lesson: use the eyepiece you camera came with and compose from there. it is more color accurate and allows you to judge lighting better. it immerses you in the shooting exercise.

Nov 02, 2012 at 07:02 PM
hsswan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camranger

I'm interested. I'm not an apple fan by any means but I really like mating an iPad with Retina display with DSLRs. I like the idea of remotely controling the camera, focus stacking, HDR and more from afar. Just previewing an image is worth looking at the Camranger. There is another device, Tetherfly, about to be released that I'm waiting to compare.

http://www.camranger.com/

http://www.shop.tethertools.com/TetherFly-by-CameraMator-Wireless-Tethering-System-TFWD12.htm

I've been using a Gopro with wifi back and an iphone app to do some remote snooping on local wildlife. These devices could be a lot of fun. Good stuff.

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:31 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camranger

They were in development, that is true, don't know if they are hitting their release date or not...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urashid/cameramator-wireless-tethered-photography

Has anyone bought the CamRanger? I ordered one last night.....

As far as spending $300, that is a lot cheaper than what I spent for the 1D and I never really liked that camera....now my 1DsIII! That is a different story, love that camera.......

Besides, wont e the first time I placed a bet like this....lets see, I wonder if I can find that old Beta player for my Beta tapes.....

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:07 AM
BertDude

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camranger

Hi all, I picked one up from PhotoPlus, and so far I have only done minimal testing.

The unit is well built, and not too heavy so you cold actually connect it to the camera, and allow it to hang off without it pulling itself out of the camera.

Connecting to it was reasonable straighforward, however the manual could use some clearer description in this area.

I am wondering however why one has to regester on their website before the connection to the ipad can be made.. Might this be a way to limit the connection to the device?? Just questions...

Once connected I had some issues getting the live view image to appear on the ipad, but once I did get it connected, it was easy sailing, and performed as documented.

The guy that was representing at PhotoPlus indicated that they should be releasing the software for other platforms in the future, as i was interested in a Windows platform client.

This is more convenient that the OnOne solution with having to use a computer to make the connection, and that is evident once you start using it. The CamRanger software however may not be as polished as the OnOne software.

This as I said in an initial report on the device, and software as I have not yet done any extensive testing with it. So far I have no complaints... more to come.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camranger

BertDude wrote:
Hi all, I picked one up from PhotoPlus, and so far I have only done minimal testing.

The unit is well built, and not too heavy so you cold actually connect it to the camera, and allow it to hang off without it pulling itself out of the camera.

Connecting to it was reasonable straighforward, however the manual could use some clearer description in this area.

I am wondering however why one has to regester on their website before the connection to the ipad can be made.. Might this be a way to limit the connection to the device?? Just questions...

Once connected
...Show more
Do you have any tips or tricks now that you have played with it? I will have mine this weekend when I am back home from traveling for work.

Let me know.....thanks

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM
BertDude

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camranger

At this time nothing that would be helpful. Treat it like you are connecting to any router, and to avoid any frustrations, make sure that you have an icon showing that you are actually connected to the camera.. this part can be a little confusing. A green icon and you are on your way.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camranger

I just got one a few days ago and all I'm wondering is why it took so long for someone to make this product?

I've done some minimal testing with both my D700 and D800, I still want to run some tests with my D3s and 300s but I'm happy with it so far.

It has the most control of the D800, which I expected as the older bodies have manual switches for focus modes, exposure, etc where the D800 does not.

It doesn't seem to live view focus well with my D700, again I expected that, the D800 works perfectly...

My complaint is when shooting in manual mode I cannot for the life of me find any kind of incident meter reading. You can set shutter, aperture, exposure comp but noting to tell you if you re exposing properly...

My iPad 2 will not view full size D800 jpg's from within the app, I'd have to use one of the smaller jpg sizes, not really a big deal nor a deal breaker as I shoot in raw always and the jpg's would just be for scene evaluation.

The biggest reason this appealed to me was for setting up remote cameras without having to tether a laptop to see where the heck I was aiming. I can use this and my iPhone (or iPad) to aim the camera, lock it down and then disconnect. The main thing I want to use it for is a hockey goal cam, dragging a laptop on the ice is just not doable in my situations. I don't think I'd leave it in the camera enclosure, it's tight enough in there already...

Overall I think it's a nice product and compared to the price of a WT4 it's a bargain. I'd like to see a cold shoe caddy to put it on top of the camera (think I'm going to make my own). I'd also like to see a reflective meter in it for exposure and both a OSX and Windows app to use it with my real computers...

Waiting on the day for this ability to actually be built into the cameras...

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:27 AM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camranger

BertDude wrote:
At this time nothing that would be helpful. Treat it like you are connecting to any router, and to avoid any frustrations, make sure that you have an icon showing that you are actually connected to the camera.. this part can be a little confusing. A green icon and you are on your way.

I had no problems with connecting or registering the app... Download the app and start it, it'll ask for the serial # put it in and close the app. Turn the Camranger on and go to your WiFi settings, the serial # is the password, connect to it and then open the app again and you're good to go...

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:29 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.