Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which bridge sunrise?

T-D-S

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which bridge sunrise?

I pulled over on the side of the road this morning on the way to work to take these shots. The scene changed quickly so I didn't get many pictures. Any preference on which one and please provide critique. Reworks are always welcome! This was my first attempt shooting here and I hope to revisit.

1. Single shot (loved the foreground elements here)

2. Pano (couldn't get the boards in the water due to positioning)

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Camperjim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which bridge sunrise?

I greatly prefer the first image. I also like the interest of the foreground boards. I like the color of the water. The second image has the better background colors but to me has little else going for it. I think I would crop off a substantial portion of the left side of the image. I also do not care for the branch on the right side. To me it is a distraction. It might help if the branch was darker but I suspect I would like it better just cloned out.

If you get a chance to shoot this again, I hope you are as lucky with the morning light and mist. I would recommend concentrating on those foreground elements and maybe shoot from a lower angle to add further emphasis.

Oct 10, 2012 at 04:13 AM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which bridge sunrise?

I also prefer the first one.

The bottom with all the darkness is a little heavy compared to the rest of the photo. You might consider increasing saturation and contrast in the upper right to help balance it out.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM
T-D-S

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which bridge sunrise?

Oddly, I polled "non-photography" people at work today and they liked the second one. I'm with you guys though.

@Camperjim, I plan on trying to get another shot with a lower angle. It'll require me using the macro arm on my tripod, but I think it'll help the composition.

@Mister Bean, I see what you're saying. The fog was lifting toward the right and the sun coming from that side made it lighter. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks, guys!

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which bridge sunrise?

First has more balance and benefits from both foreground and main subject. Perhaps a bit of competition for attention.
Second simplifies the image, draws the attention more effectively to the pastels. I prefer the second. With a bit off the left.
Scott

Oct 11, 2012 at 02:00 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which bridge sunrise?

Like to see the boards added into #2

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:37 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which bridge sunrise?

The second goes for drama and more light/dark contrast. The first has a more refined appeal. When folks spend more time seriously looking at photos, it seems to me they start to see them in different ways. Perhaps its like wine tasting. That's why it can be useful to create and select images for specific audiences.

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:50 AM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which bridge sunrise?

Yet another "first one" vote. While the pilings almost become the subject of the image by including them, they're also crisply in focus. Probably due to the fog, the bridge is a bit soft, and so is more of the background to me.

Not really anything to point out for reworking IMHO. The "christmas lights" on the bridge are a little odd. But getting rid of them would diminish the bridge anymore. Perhaps I might have desaturated their color. However, that's probably more effort than would be necessary.

Thanks for sharing!

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password