FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · VSCO Keys

redisred
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · VSCO Keys

Hey guys,

I'm the product manager for VSCO but I'm also on here a lot nerding out myself and I noticed this thread, so I wanted to say hi. It's actually really interesting reading all of your feedback here though. I want to respect the FM site and not turn this into VSCO support, but here's two quick thoughts on the main things I see mentioned here:

1. Lag with white balance - this is because we have to switch white balance to "Custom" before we can move it, (thanks to an Adobe limitation) so the first time you move it it might go a little slower as it does both of these. Automated mouse-clickers don't have to do this, but then you don't get access to anything you can't fit on your screen. However, in the support articles there's a link to a preset that just sets white balance to custom without actually changing the rest of the white balance settings. You could just apply this to everything first (should go quick since nothing to re-render) and then white balance will move quicker on that first command since that first step will be removed. Any other lag is probably tied to your computer, as it has to render the changes each time you hit a key. Faster processors, SSD's, RAM, lean libraries, all the normal stuff helps. You'll probably see close to the same lag with VSCO Keys as you would have using the library quick develop panel. Make sure you're up to date with your OS and Lightroom too, LR 4.2 introduced some nice speed improvements.

2. You can create a custom layout with the online app, but right now only single key commands are available from the lightroom shortcuts menu. So, you can make one key do what another key was doing, like L becomes Q, but you can't make L do a combination of modifiers and keys, like Command + Left arrow. The big idea with this release was to give you tools you don't already have in Lightroom, like the ability to hit a key and adjust photos. So, you can still use whatever normal lightroom shortcuts are there at the same time as keys as long as they don't overlap. However, yesterday was just the first release and we know a lot of people want this, so rest assured, we're not done.

If you guys have problems or feature requests, we'd love to know about it. Like I said, don't want to hijack FM here but we are listening and we want to make all of our products as awesome as can be!

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:06 PM
awad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · VSCO Keys

Hey Zach(got your name from your site, not stalking)

Thanks for the response. The lag is definitely understandable given the circumstances.

My current set up is a logitech g13 gaming keyboard with my own cobbled together LR shortcuts mapped to it. I Just changed some of my keys to match the keyboard keys in the vsco keys layout and am able to run the vsco keys as well as my own custom key shortcuts at the same time. Solved my problem.

Thanks again.

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:13 PM
kirstin
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · VSCO Keys

need support on the clone heal tool. now that the brackets are vignette what keys change the size of the circle/brush... this is killing me...

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:09 AM
NickMacCarthy

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · VSCO Keys

kirstin wrote:
need support on the clone heal tool. now that the brackets are vignette what keys change the size of the circle/brush... this is killing me...

I normally use my the scroll wheel on my mouse

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:08 AM
kirstin
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · VSCO Keys

well you should be using a tablet and pen!

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:30 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · VSCO Keys

bertpalmer wrote:
I don't know if you guys have heard of Paddy?

It's pretty much the same thing. Only it's free (PC only atm.)

https://sites.google.com/site/dorfl68/

Worth checking out maybe.

I have a custom keyboard set up using Paddy and it has been a HUGE timesaver for me. I also have it set up so I can hold CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel up/down to adjust exposure or SHIFT and adjust WB.

Maybe this afternoon I'll post an image of my keyboard

Oct 11, 2012 at 09:53 AM
woos
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · VSCO Keys

SevenEleven wrote:
I was excited to see this come out, mainly because I've done something very similar on my own using the free scripting tool AutoHotKey. I've had some issues with mine not being as responsive as I would like, hate hearing that VSCO Keys might have the same issue.

Would be nice if Adobe would build this functionality into LR itself...

Hah, yeah AutoHotkey is amazing. Who knows, this might have actually been written with autohotkey, hard to say, lol.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · VSCO Keys

Scott Mosher wrote:
I have a custom keyboard set up using Paddy and it has been a HUGE timesaver for me. I also have it set up so I can hold CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel up/down to adjust exposure or SHIFT and adjust WB.

Maybe this afternoon I'll post an image of my keyboard

Dude...Scott....that is an amazing way to do that. I have been using Paddy since it was first posted about here, and I had never thought about using the wheel in conjunction with another key. I am going to make that change to my settings now

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · VSCO Keys

Zach, in regards to your clarification on the WB settings, it is slow for me every time I try and change, not just the first time. I use a blazing fast computer and am up to date on everything but it still takes about 1s to apply the change. Hope this feedback helps.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · VSCO Keys

Cool tips here thanks!

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM
redisred
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · VSCO Keys

@Kirstin the spot tool is "supported", it's just the the standard layout uses the bracket keys. But all you need to do is modify that layout in the online app to not use the bracket keys and they'll go back to doing spot tool size. With the standard layout on mac, holding down the control makes it go back to doing brush size as well.

@sboerup interesting. Is the lag a lot more than you see if you just click a white balance button in the quick develop panel? I've got a screaming fast computer too and with or without keys, it's never instant right away, I always have to wait a sec before it renders the change. We can't make lightroom go any faster than it already does! But if it's really an issue, send us a support question and we'll see if something's going on that we can help.

@woos I can assure you, this is all made from scratch!

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM
redisred
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · VSCO Keys

Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up: We just made some pretty big changes to VSCO Keys based on user feedback. Tons more Lightroom shortcuts added, smarter auto on/off functionality, and the price has been reduced to $79 ($59.25 if you've previously purchased VSCO Film)! We're really grateful for everyone's feedback and very stoked to make this an even better product accessible to even more people. More info here: http://visualsupply.co/blog/vsco-keys-1-1-update If you have any other questions, let us know at [email protected]

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · VSCO Keys

joelconner wrote:
Dude...Scott....that is an amazing way to do that. I have been using Paddy since it was first posted about here, and I had never thought about using the wheel in conjunction with another key. I am going to make that change to my settings now

Glad I could help I just wish I could program it to use other keys such as A, L, G, etc

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:00 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · VSCO Keys

Zach, I have no problems with Motibodo, it is fast when changing WB settings. I know it does it programmatically in a different fashion, but just FYI.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:03 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · VSCO Keys

Zach (or whoever is appropriate):

This is driving me nuts. I love the use of the / to copy previous images settings, but is there an easy way to NOT include the spot removal and brush strokes from the prior images? It's a real PITA when working on portraits, etc.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM
awad
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · VSCO Keys

I don't believe there is a way to control what the past from previous menu pastes. I think it's just everything. I get around that by copying and pasting everything but crop and spot adjustments.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · VSCO Keys

awad wrote:
I don't believe there is a way to control what the past from previous menu pastes. I think it's just everything. I get around that by copying and pasting everything but crop and spot adjustments.

yup...previous pastes everything (including spot adjustments) from the previous image. It's been that way in LR since day 1, as far as I can remember. Not really anything that can do about that, I imagine

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM
TomHarmon
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · VSCO Keys

Have been using VSCO keys for a week now and its been pretty good. I have to agree with Spencer about the White balance lag, although its been better with the recent update. The new additions (copy/paste settings with one key) has been great and I definitely see an improvement in my workflow speed. For $79, its worth a try.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:01 PM
redisred
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · VSCO Keys

Ya, something like removing only the spot removal tool from paste from previous isn't possible with Lightroom by itself, so currently there's not a way to remap a key to do that in Keys. Obviously we're going well beyond what is possible with stock Lightroom, but with every new feature we add there's a lot that has to be done to make it all work, so we have to weigh what's the best use of our time. I'm actually editing a wedding right now and I did just have this issue myself, so I can definitely see the benefit, but it was on a group of similar photos and I just used the normal copy/paste shortcuts on them all at once instead and it worked great. All that to say, I do think that's a great idea and I'll add it to the list, but it's hard to say how soon that would end up being implemented.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:04 PM
skiboarder72
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · VSCO Keys

Scott, Thanks so much for your tip! I tried out Paddy last night with the mouse scroll wheel (CTRL for Exposure, ALT for temp, and SHIFT for contrast) and one of my extra mouse buttons to advance to the next photo. Really saved a lot of time editing!

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:20 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.