Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

The specs of the OM-D and NEX-7 look to be very capable cameras to own. I know that they have some shortcomings when compared to dSLRs (DOF/bokeh, frame rate, wide angle options) but the price and the weight make them enticing to own or at least try out. I was reading on the wedding forum of one wedding photog that uses mostly the OM-D for his weddings now.

Are there any canon DSLR owners that also own a MFT kit? What improvements in the MFT format would it require for you to make a complete switch?

I can see landscape and wildlife photographers not considering the switch because of wide angle, tilt-shift, high MP, and high frame rate options available in MFT. Also canon telephotos are just so amazing. But if I wasn't in these camps (basically the majority of shooters), I think I'd take a serious look at the advancements in this format.

I'm creating this thread more to learn more about people's opinions on the new offerings in the MFT format, particularly from people that also own a both a MFT kit and a canon dSLR kit.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

The NEX-7 is an APS-C camera, with 23.5m x 15.6mm sensor size, crop factor 1.5x. The OM-D is MFT, with 17.3mm x 13mm sensor size, crop factor 2.1x.

I own the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X100 which are also APS-C cameras. I also own Canon 1DX, 1DIV and 5DII cameras. I use the Canon cameras for most applications. I mostly use the Fujifilm for events and activities where the Canon bodies and lenses are too intrusive (i.e. intimidating and loud).

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

Well, my advice would be different camera.

Either NEX-5N with EVF, or NEX-6 (sorta, best of all worlds, or at least seems that way). Or bit exotic Samsung NX system.

NEX-7 is nice, thats sure, just lacks in few department that if you come from decent Canon dSLR might be quite important to you. Only downside of NEX is not much of lens. But upside is focus peaking, unlimited amount of adapters and hence lens you can use. Including Canon lens with right adapter.

MFT isnt bad, but frankly, unless you want smallest size possible, then no reason for it. I think NEX-5N packs as much performance as possible in such small body.

All depends what you want to shoot with it..

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:33 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #4 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

I stand corrected Thanks for clarifying the different formats.

BTW.. here's the thread on the wedding forum that I was talking about.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1148415/0?keyword=om-d#10957012

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:34 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

I have a Panasonic GX1. I use it when I need something small and pocketable. The images it produces are very good. Very similar to what I get from my 1DMK3, but not up to the quality I get from my 5DMK3.

In general the downsides I see are the handling of the smaller cameras. They don't AF as fast and the GX1 and OMD are a bit too small.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Access
• • •
p.1 #6 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

datousteve wrote:
Are there any canon DSLR owners that also own a MFT kit? What improvements in the MFT format would it require for you to make a complete switch?

Yes, though I doubt I will ever make the complete switch. It's just another option to me. If I know I'm going to be moving around a lot that day, I grab the OM-D and the three primes (14mm, 20mm, 45mm) or sometimes just two. Otherwise it's the Canon by default. BTW OM-D is 9fps, I often use bracketing and it's so quick, sounds like just one shot even though it's taking three.

Improvements in the MFT - basically action focus. For environmental portraiture, it's fine, but you don't get the DOF when you want it. Some of my best photos this year have come from the hacked GH2 (before I had the OM-D), but that's more because of the content than the system itself.

I think the thing about MFT versus the Sonys or the other 1.6x systems, MFT body isn't smaller, or if it is, it's only by a hair. But the lenses are smaller. When you are taking along three lenses, this starts to add up. If I were to use a 1.6x system, with the same 3-prime setup I like, I wouldn't save much compared to the DSLR.

If you want to see the relative size differences I posted some photos a while back, in the bag and out of it. The MFT with the 3-prime setup is about half the volume, a third the weight compared to the 5D + 40mm f/2.8 + 85mm f/1.8 prime setup. I can post them again if you want to see them.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:42 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

Yes. I would be interested in seeing the photos. Thanks!

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

Here's a comparison of my 1DX + 35L and 1DIV + 85L II, with Fujifilm X100 and X-Pro 1 + 60X.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #9 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

Here you go.

Each kit includes a polarizer and ND filter, step-up rings, and a small flash. The battery is not part of the kit, it's just used to weigh down the top of the bag so you can see how tall it actually is in the bag.

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:08 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon DSLR kit AND MFT kit?

Thanks for the comparison. I'd be more excited about the 1/3 the weight, particularly when on vacation. I carried a backpack with 3 lenses and a body around mexico and it was exhausting some days.

Beautiful bags btw. Nobody would suspect that you have camera equipment in those things. I would be afraid of an exhausted mother mistakingly reaching into the one on the left for a diaper tho.

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password