Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Senior Pics, What do you think

rennocneb
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Senior Pics, What do you think

My First "Paying" job, give me some constructive criticism.

West Bayden Springs Hotel and Resort

NIKON D800    40mm    f/5.6    1/200s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:53 PM
rennocneb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Senior Pics, What do you think

And the last one

sorry for the web address i grabbed it off my facebook site to see what you all thought

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Senior Pics, What do you think

The last is most representative of the title and my favorite - otherwise I am confused. The young lady is 'lost' in the first four and IMO they do not reflect "senior" pictures but then I do not attempt them either..

Other observations: 1 and 4 are not vertical - rotate slightly ccw. #2 the globe detracts from the subject's face; the mixed light from her sunglasses (on the cheek) is not flattering.

The strand of lights and cording around the doorway and window distract.

#1, I think tighter would be better, and better yet were she looking into the lens - the pensive look does not work for me here. Don't know about the crop.

I like the saturation and color - rich but not harsh. Not familiar with that lens but at 70mm it might be a bit soft? Perhaps the location was too close quarters and did not permit zooming slightly.

I know very little about lighting but perhaps a reflector would benefit #'s 1, 2, and 3?

my 2,

Bob

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:18 PM
rennocneb
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Senior Pics, What do you think

thank you for the critique. I am hoping to possibly add a second light soon. This was the first trip out with the new light softbox and stuff.

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Senior Pics, What do you think

rennocneb wrote:
thank you for the critique. I am hoping to possibly add a second light soon. This was the first trip out with the new light softbox and stuff.

Well you are years ahead of me there

I do like the softness and rich color. I am forever fighting hot-spots with OC flash.

Regards,

Bob

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

silvawispa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Senior Pics, What do you think

The good: exposure is good and the colours vibrant.

The bad: the posing, or lack of it, is an issue. Find some time to study poses and what works for various shapes of person. Don't be afraid to direct!

The colour palette is muddled, which isn't helping create a unity in the image.
Getting the colours to work together will really help.

The only images that work for me to any degree are the second and the last one.
The second one needs work on the pose and the clash between the purple in the shades and the orange in the skirt is jarring for me.
The last one is let down by some seriously overenthusiastic processing!

The archway shots could do with more dramatic lighting and probably a change in angle to really make them worthwhile. They are very flat in feel.

These are a step above snapshots, but not of a professional 'paying' standard. Not by a long way.
They are however a good stepping stone and show some awareness of what is required. Hopefully you'll be quite embarrassed by them in six months time! (Is that too harsh?)

My constructive criticism is that there needs to be a lot of good research and practice to improve your photography.

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:41 PM
rennocneb
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Senior Pics, What do you think

my response to that would be i think it depends on what level we are at here. if someone is paying 5 grand for a senoir photo package by all means they should expect more. Secondly how do you suggest controlling the outfits, since here it is the norm for the student to bring with them what they wish to wear.

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:57 PM
silvawispa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Senior Pics, What do you think

Fair enough, if both you and she are truly happy with the cost and the results then what could go wrong?

Secondly:Talk to your customers.

Pre shoot communication and planning will make your shoots so much easier and more productive.

If you're being paid anything then it's a good idea to already know pretty much what images you are going to produce before you get there.

That's why the research and practice is so important. So you have a good backstop of great, repeatable photos that you can execute quickly.

Immediate good results mean your subject has instant confidence in you, as does asking all the right questions before hand.

rennocneb wrote:
This was the first trip out with the new light softbox and stuff.

There's many adages connected to photography/buisness, but one that comes out again and again is 'never go on a gig with new kit'...

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:33 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Senior Pics, What do you think

Call me old fashioned, I have trouble with some of my grandkid School pics too. The last one is the only one that works for me as a senior picture. Leaving aside the technical stuff which I am not qualified to address, its the pose.

As the recipient, I want to see the subjects face and not much elses. This is the photo that will still be looked at in 50 years. What will you want to recall?

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:16 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password