Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

http://www.squarespace.com

Has anyone tried, or is anyone using this for their website and or photography blog?

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:37 PM
pistonsfan1600

p.1 #2 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

I'm a student, and I shoot photos for our campus newspaper. I use Squarespace for my personal blog and photo galleries.

You can see the site here: boanderson.com

I'm not seriously trying to sell prints or book clients. Its more of a place for me to showcase my images for friends and family. With that being said, here are some Pros and Cons over my time using Squarespace.

Pros

Squarespace is easy to set up. A lot of their templates (especially the new Version 6 ones) are geared towards photography portfolios.

The images look stunning, and you can add images or galleries to blog posts.

You can also easily import an old blog. Importing my wordpress blog took about ten minutes. All images and tags were intact.

Cons

This may be my own problem with image size, but the images on my main page can take a long time to load. It has been tough for me to find the balance between high quality images and quick loading pages.

Right-click protection is not enabled by default. However, you can use the code library to add the protection in.

If you have any deeper questions, feel free to ask.

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:17 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #3 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

I'm just heading out the door, but it sounds like you have exactly the info I'm looking for. I'll catch up. Thanks for the response!

Dennis

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:46 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #4 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

I just had the opportunity to look at your website. That looks great! I think that Squarespace may be what I am looking for. I'm not ready to spend the bucks needed for Smugmug or some of the others at this point.

Thanks Bo.

Dennis

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:59 PM
pistonsfan1600

p.1 #5 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

Dennis, thanks for the complement. It really is an easy way to set up a quick website that doesn't look cookie-cutter.

Also, if you search around the web, there are discount codes for 10% off new plans all the time.

Let me know when you get your site set up. I'm anxious to see it!

Bo

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #6 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

Thanks. It will be awhile. I need to get a good selection of images. I have some images on film that I need to bring in to digital as well. Thanks for the discount tip, and I will let you know.

D

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:49 PM
pjny
• •
p.1 #7 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

I've been using the Annatto fullframe/fullscreen template from www.intothedarkroom.com. found a 50% off discount code on the web so it was $150 flat since day 1.

i love not having to pay a monthly fee just for a template. their stuff is really good and adding/deleting galleries/pix is very easy.

http://intothedarkroom.com/photography-website-templates/

site also works works on ipad/iphone etc.

Oct 11, 2012 at 06:57 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #8 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

Thanks PJ, I'll take a look.

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:13 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

I use squarespace. It was the one place that had everything I wanted at a fair price.

It was easy to design my own site without having to learn web design and purchase tons of software I'd never need. Also the price was cheaper than hiring a web designer and purchasing hosting and relying on someone else to make updates to my site. It's simple and it works.

I don't sell prints or services. My site is really just meant to be a web portfolio. But I believe they have some shopping cart options if that's what you're into.

Personally I love it and I'd recommend it to anyone. You can see my site here www.ken-m.com

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #10 · Squarespace for your Website? Anyone?

Thanks Ken

Just sitting here waiting for cirque du soleil to start, so I get to see how it loads on an iPhone. It works out nicely. Thanks and I enjoyed your website. I like the one stop shopping idea. I have enough on my plate to learn right now.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password