Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · G1X..anyone using it?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · G1X..anyone using it?

This camera has been out for some months now and the price is starting to look reasonable at last. I'm tempted to buy.

I've read the various on-line reviews..but wondered if anyone on here is a regular user, and if so, how is it performing? Was it a ' good buy?'

Oct 06, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · G1X..anyone using it?

There was a long thread on the G1X with comments and pics from new owners. It's was some months back but I'm sure you can pull it up with a few clicks.

Oct 06, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · G1X..anyone using it?

I read some pretty bad comments regarding AF which put me off it. Pity, as ergonomics, sensor size and useful range seems rather attracting.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Mike Malat

p.1 #4 · G1X..anyone using it?

I got the G1X when I did not want to carry a DSLR and all of the baggage that comes with it. Lenses, flashes, etc. The sensor is excellent and the AF is "leisurely" at best. Macro for this camera is "across the dinner table" distances unless you use one of the canon macro screw on lenses. So long as you keep these limitations in mind you'll be happy with the camera. There are plenty of reviews out there and a good thread on DPR about the G1X. Just about everything said about the camera is true. You just need to decide if will fit your needs. From what I read, those folks who thought they were getting a DSLR in a P&S were very disappointed.

Oct 07, 2012 at 12:06 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #5 · G1X..anyone using it?

I've never quite figured out what these cameras offer over a smaller DSLR. You can't fit them in your pocket. They just seem to sacrifice ergonomics and functionality for a kit that probably still looks intimidating to whomever you're photographing.

Oct 07, 2012 at 12:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · G1X..anyone using it?

Yes, I use my G1X quite a bit, I use a small bag instead of a strap and the IQ is simply phenomenal for such a small camera.

It's quirky, but it's very good at what it does. The lack of close focus without having to go into macro is the only real pain.

Oct 07, 2012 at 12:45 PM
maxxevv
• •
p.1 #7 · G1X..anyone using it?

For the macro part, some success have been reported with using the 500D or 350D close-up filters. Can't recall exactly where I read (likely DPR forums) it but it seems to work well.

If you are willing to live with the idea that its a PnS with fantastic image quality, then its an excellent camera. If you think of it as a DSLR in a PnS package, then its not the camera for you.

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:00 PM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #8 · G1X..anyone using it?

It is definitely a very interesting camera. The images are fantastic. It is not a DSLR in functionality and neither it is a shirt pocket p&s. Close focus/macro is definitely a weakness. However the articulated lcd, the lens quality & zoom range and the large sensor are definitely its strengths. It isn't a pocketable camera and if one needs that then the Sony RX100 is a good option. I have done casual, even landscape shots with it as well as video and really like the image quality. With an adapter, you can easily mount filters (CPL, closeup) in a pinch (58mm). I also like the controls and the mode and exposure compensation dials are classic style.

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:05 PM
jonbrach
• • •
p.1 #9 · G1X..anyone using it?

best P&s I have ever used by a long shot.....incredibly clean high ISO abilities....I have posted some concert pics using this incredible camera at 12,800 ISO which are shockingly good...the AF is no picnic but the IQ and ISO performance are great,simple as that

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:25 AM
cnaderfre

p.1 #10 · G1X..anyone using it?

I've been using the G1 X for a few months now and am very pleased with the camera. I don't have a great need for macro capabilities, and place image quality above macro and AF performance for my use. I find that the camera simply takes great, creative photos with a lot less work than my 60D and various lenses. I love my DSLR, but the ease and fun-factor of the G1 X while also producing stunning photos is unsurpassed in my experience. I paid $799 for mine, and while that's a bummer given the current price, it doesn't bother me too much given the great summer I had with the cam. Recommend buy... you won't regret it.

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StevenF

p.1 #11 · G1X..anyone using it?

I've been using one for a few weeks and I have not experienced any problems at all.
Focus is right on, in fact I am surprised at how it lock on even in low light. I use ISO's up to 25,000 with exceptional results.
This is my opinion based on my actual usage.

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:56 AM
S Dilworth
• •
p.1 #12 · G1X..anyone using it?

Youíve been talking about this camera for months, anthonygh, unless Iím badly mistaken!

Put yourself out of your misery: itís £549 at Wex or £419.99 at DigitalRev, either of which is an outright bargain for the sensor and lens quality on offer (in my opinion).

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #13 · G1X..anyone using it?

It appears that opinions are about the same as when you asked this question in April Anthony. I'm still very happy with mine since I upgraded from a G10 early this spring. If you like the ergonomics of the G10, the G1X will be much the same with noticeably better IQ at low ISO and much better high ISO ability. I find my G1X lower ISO images to have a bit less noise than my 7D images (they have the same pixel pitch sensors).

I think Canon has done an amazing job of fitting a compact lens to the nearly APS C sensor size. But still this comes with a price. P&S level close focus requires an external diopter filter and the lens element travel during AF affects AF speed. To me it seems about the same as G10 AF speed and faster than live view AF on my DSLRs. I've had no problem with low light AF and I'm willing to use the G1X in much lower lighting conditions than I would with previous Gs. ISO 800 is completely useable and ISO 1600 cleans up nicely.

The articulating LCD is a nice upgrade from the G10, I missed that from my earlier Gs. I much prefer the front element mounted filter adaptor to the previous G's body mounted tube. It makes the camera more compact when turned off and the filters are much simpler to store off the camera. Get two adaptors from Lensmate, one for your polarizer and one for your close-up adaptor. I bought a neoprene sunglases pouch that holds the two filters nicely. I have both the Canon 500D (2 diopter) and 250D (4 diopter) close-up filters and they produce beautiful images. For the flower shots I like to take, the 250D seems a bit too strong so I may also try the Hoya two element 3 diopter filter.

I'd never have this as my only camera, but as a 1 1/4 lb complete camera system its sure a nice complement to my DSLRs. I don't feel like I have to sacrifice much in the way of IQ to carry a smaller package.

I'll add that the underwater housing is considerably larger than the G10 housing. It has a longer lens travel to accommodate. This may be a consideration when packing light for a tropical destination. Still 1080 underwater movies are a possibility for me now.

Oct 08, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #14 · G1X..anyone using it?

I'll echo Jeff's response. here is a G1 X landscape raw > jpg using DPP .31
I usually shoot landscapes with a D800E or a 1dsIII.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2088441/IMG_0066.JPG

Paul

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:10 PM
StevenF

p.1 #15 · G1X..anyone using it?

Oops! My error. I mis-read the thread. I'm using a 1Dx.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #16 · G1X..anyone using it?

Incidentally, here is a user review that covers the good, the bad, offers settings suggestions, and includes many wonderful sample images, the type I'd like to capture while backpacking .

http://www.witnesstobeauty.com/canon-g1x-review

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:15 PM
jonbrach
• • •
p.1 #17 · G1X..anyone using it?

If this camera had a faster lens than 5.8 at the longer end and it's AF was quicker without lag it would be a truly special camera...as it is I am shocked as to how clean images are at 12,800 and the great IQ one gets from this camera...the blueprint is in place for the version 2 of this camera to be a fabulous machine IF they allow it to be because if it improves on its weaknesses it will rival entry level DSLR cameras presently out there!!!

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:23 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #18 · G1X..anyone using it?

I have pondered on this for some time it is true.....but each time I nearly bite the bullet I print off another set of new files from my G10......and question the value of 'upgrading'....I do like that camera!!

Now the G15 has appeared.....identical price to the G1X here via an eBay outlet.......I will probably wait to see some reviews and go for the 'best' of the two......which for me might turn out to be the G15 from what I am reading!!

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:31 PM
jonbrach
• • •
p.1 #19 · G1X..anyone using it?

I have become an evangelist for this camera because it is the first P&S I have ever used in situations where I couldnt bring my gear into low light situations and have been able to get quality pictures at high ISO....these pictures are shot at 12,800 and although the AF is a bitch to work with the results are shockingly good!

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #20 · G1X..anyone using it?

Yes, I dare a G10 to do that I used mine along side my 5D2 + 24-105 in some museums (no flash) in Greece and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in image quality. Being able to use the G1X for more than just daylight landscape compared to the G10 is a real advantage.

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password