Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Monito
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

I'm very impressed by the timing (manual). How many apples smashed to get two shots like that?

[Perhaps timbop could beneficially relax his hyper-vigilance a little?]

Oct 06, 2012 at 05:20 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #2 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

I was expecting iphones being destroyed.

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:03 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.2 #3 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

I'm impressed that you made sure to use safety glasses!

John

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:20 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Wonderful shots, you had great fun! Hope you used a filter on your lens, I hate to think of you having to clean apple sauce off the front element of your L!

BTW its wonderful to see that you have the word "bonkers" in the US, I thought it was a word used only this side of the pond.

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:59 AM
goneballistic

p.2 #5 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

these shots are awesome. I have all the same gear, and I could never get these shots.

btw your boy could take a couple tips on swing mechanics from you. good eye contact on the ball.

btw ii - you could be conon o'brian's stunt double.

Oct 06, 2012 at 07:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.2 #6 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Monito: We were out there for over an hour before it got too dark - looks like I shot ~120 frames ... so while a number of those were a "swing and a miss", you get the timing down but still need some luck to get an especially good shot. It's (obviously) real similar to shooting (real) baseball as seen in examples here and here.

MLucca: on destroying iPhones. I've seen those videos and don't think much of destroying perfectly good gear just to do it.

BluesWest: I had Cataract Surgery a year ago, so yea, try to be safety conscious, especially when it comes to eyes.

David: I appreciate the compliment - ditto from others. I actually did NOT have a UV filter on the 70-200/2.8 ... but it was about 60 feet away ... although apple remnants did up that far away! The nearby 580EX flash got a little bit of "shrapnel" on it, but nothing major.

goneballistic: Go out and give it a try. As we all know, the great thing about digital is you can shoot a bazillion frames and it doesn't cost you anything like film - I'm a fan of the percentage method! Once you get it setup/exposing correctly (I was shooting manual and had a "home plate" where the batter stood), you just fire away. Note that due to flash recycle times, you are only getting one shot per swing. If you take out the "swing & misses", there were a lot of good images to choose from.

on being Conan's stunt double! ;-)
alek

P.S. I might add that we mostly used "damaged" apples ... since we sorted 'em and put the unbruised ones are in bags that are currently in my kitchen that we are eating our way through. Note also that we have coyotes (and rabbits) in our area, so I'm sure they appreciated cleaning up my backyard!

Oct 06, 2012 at 02:00 PM
larhouser
• •
p.2 #7 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Very cool work! Might have to do this soon - maybe a series of different foods based on seasons?

I live in Contra Costa County, California and our local food bank does take home/farm fresh foods. We have a group of urban farmers who help harvest each other crops - the good stuff goes to the food bank the not so good goes to the local wildlife rescue center.

As for admonishing the photog for bashing some home grown apples all I can say is WOW how far up your own flag pole do you have to climb before you type out that comment? Any problem with food distribution is purely a case of wealth distribution/equality and nothing else. Work for building a better education system which will lift the American econ system and spend less time putting snarky comments on photo boards.

Oct 06, 2012 at 02:31 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #8 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Smart Alek .

Alek Komarnits wrote:
P.S. I might add that we mostly used "damaged" apples ... since we sorted 'em and put the unbruised ones are in bags that are currently in my kitchen that we are eating our way through. Note also that we have coyotes (and rabbits) in our area, so I'm sure they appreciated cleaning up my backyard!

Oct 06, 2012 at 02:49 PM
galenapass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Tom Dix wrote:
That's pretty cool! You managed to avoid glass glare on the first image; not easy to do with direct flash.
Nice local product placement of Crocs; get them at the store on Pearl?
I like the images.

Hmm...I guess you learn something new every day. I had no idea they were local; of course, I've only been here for 3 years and bought my Crocs before I moved to Colorado.

BTW, nice shots. My 9 year old wants to try it now.

Oct 06, 2012 at 03:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password